Best camera choice - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Best camera choice

• 9 Replies

fma

Best camera choice
« on: 12 / November / 2009, 04:59:25 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I plan to buy a used Canon camera to install CHDK.

My first usage will be to make timelapses of my house during the construction. I plan to put the camera in a watertight case, and let it on the field. But I also plan to use it to make high-resolution panoramas, using a motorized panohead (I'm developping Papywizard, a software to control such panoheads).

So, I need:

1) small camera with watertight cases availabe
2) cheap camera (used)
3) normal AA batteries (which can last at least one day in continuous shooting)
4) good support of CHDK, wich can be used in tethered mode, with the ability to control bias exposure over the standard +-2EV
5) wide angle lens (shorter than 35mm if possible, or with optical complement, if it is compatible with watertight case), and tele-lens position (better than 150mm)

You may have other suggestions...

What camera fits most of these conditions?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: 12 / November / 2009, 06:17:30 by fma »

fma

Re: Best camera choice
« Reply #1 on: 16 / November / 2009, 07:15:11 »
No suggestion?

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #2 on: 18 / November / 2009, 09:15:58 »
Hej,
There is no canon cam with AA and wide angle, except bridges SXxx's.

IMO, you'd better skip the wide angle and find an second hand powershot A (5xx, 6xx or 7xx), those had watercases, now much cheaper than they used to be. But no wide angle. A650Is, A710Is and A720IS are 35-210mm. Hard to find, probably.

fma

« Reply #3 on: 18 / November / 2009, 09:54:58 »
Ok, thanks for the advice.

« Reply #4 on: 22 / November / 2009, 18:09:19 »
avoid the A590 if possible. the A570 is much better, because some features don't work so good in the 590.

I have one a590 and one sx110 now. the sx has much more functions (like zooming on video mode)

fma

« Reply #5 on: 23 / November / 2009, 01:29:35 »
Ok.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 23 / November / 2009, 03:17:36 »
Canon watertight cases are quite expensive. If you just want something that can sit out in the rain, and don't need to manipulate the controls while it is sitting, you might want to consider making something yourself. I'm thinking something like a tupperware with a cheapo uv/clear filter glued in for a window, but there are many ways you could do it.

There are also things like http://www.dicapac.com/
Don't forget what the H stands for.

fma

« Reply #7 on: 23 / November / 2009, 03:32:51 »
Dicapac looks good...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 23 / November / 2009, 04:02:41 »
Dicapac looks good...
It will keep the rain out. It's inconvenient for timelapse because there is no tripod mount, and the bag doesn't really want to sit flat. Your camera will also get very warm in one if it is not underwater. I used mine to keep dust out in a desert environment, and I'm pretty sure the camera shut down once due to overheating.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #9 on: 26 / November / 2009, 17:53:30 »
You can always use a different thing to keep the camera in the same position, like big plastic clamps. And to avoid overheating the Dicapac could be kept open - only make sure there is no way for the water to enter. I liked it too.