YA camera choice help request - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

YA camera choice help request

• 13 Replies
Re: YA camera choice help request
« Reply #10 on: 16 / January / 2012, 16:01:00 »
Advertisements
So many options... Dpreview gives them very similar reviews. Considering that I don't need the swivel back of the G12, and f/2.0 is attractive on the S95, maybe that is a better choice.
The size difference is considerable  You might want to check out both at your local big box store....
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #11 on: 16 / January / 2012, 16:18:49 »
I notice that CHDK for the S95 is marked "BETA" whereas the G12 is not. Is that a significant difference in reality?

Unrelated: when setting focus, what value do you use for infinity?

« Reply #12 on: 16 / January / 2012, 16:25:23 »
I notice that CHDK for the S95 is marked "BETA" whereas the G12 is not. Is that a significant difference in reality?
Beta designation is completely arbitrary.  Its often just what the person doing the original port selected when it was released.  Then nobody goes back and updates it later.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #13 on: 17 / January / 2012, 00:00:52 »
It's doesn't mean whole lot. If the BETA tag is removed, it usually means the developer believes the port is complete. If it's not removed, it may mean something some part is incomplete, or it may not.
Unrelated: when setting focus, what value do you use for infinity?
On cameras that have a 'focus at infinity' mode in the canon firmware, use that. That may have to be done with simulated key presses from script, but it takes less power than MF and has less quirks than "subject distance override". Otherwise you could use MF (again with simulated key presses to max out the distance) or SD override to -1.

Been a fan of armadillos work for a long time, looking forward to the some high altitude shots... or the cameras guts splattered on the desert :)
Don't forget what the H stands for.