SD1300 / IXUS 105 - Best Mode for shooting Indoors without Flash - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

SD1300 / IXUS 105 - Best Mode for shooting Indoors without Flash

• 2 Replies

Offline sh1981

Advertisements
In trying to create the most perfect photo indoors without flash, I've been doing a bit of experimentation with the different canon modes, so far came to these conclusions:

- Shutter speed is second highest in AUTO mode, however ISO is also second highest in AUTO mode, therefore ensuring that the subject is decently frozen while also letting the image remain bright enough. However it suffers from noise.

- Shutter speed is highest in LOW LIGHT mode, however high noise is seen.

- Shutter speed is third highest in INDOORS mode, therefore occassionally causing motion blur, however ISO is decent at 250 therefore ensuring less noise and good color saturation.

- Shutter speed is quite low in FOLIAGE mode, however the colors are bright and excellent saturation, the image does NOT give washed out look, the downside is occassional blur due to low shutter speed. ISO is also low therefore less noise.

My personal favorite so far is to use AUTO if the subjects indoors are moving, otherwise INDOORS mode, and if subject is decently still, I'd use FOLIAGE mode.

I also noticed that if I save RAW, I get noise, not to mention barrel distortion, and a lot of other defects. Therefore I try to shoot best possible shot in jpeg only.

Any suggestions?
A proud owner of Canon IXUS 105

Re: SD1300 / IXUS 105 - Best Mode for shooting Indoors without Flash
« Reply #1 on: 30 / May / 2011, 01:08:30 »
nice finding of the shutter speed on foliage mode. doesn't it change the colors?

Offline sh1981

Re: SD1300 / IXUS 105 - Best Mode for shooting Indoors without Flash
« Reply #2 on: 05 / June / 2011, 15:03:48 »
nice finding of the shutter speed on foliage mode. doesn't it change the colors?

It indeed does change the colors.

Ive since then found that while shooting indoors WITH flash, the best mode is NIGHT MODE. Not only does it give a low shutter and ISO, but it gives the same effect that slow synchro flash would. Of course you could choose slow synchro in P mode and then shoot with flash, but try it, for some reason it gives way too slow shutter speed, NIGHT MODE on other hand gives the 1/8 which in my opinion is just enough to get a crisp photo.

What is your opinion on this?
A proud owner of Canon IXUS 105