ELPH 330 HS :10 minute video time limit - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

ELPH 330 HS :10 minute video time limit

• 19 Replies

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
Re: ELPH 330 HS :10 minute video time limit
« Reply #10 on: 30 / May / 2014, 17:38:29 »
Advertisements
I often work consecutive long exposures, continuously for 5 hours, and the temperature is constantly at about 70 degrees. I think this is a normal operating temperature of the sensor and upon reaching stays the same for the long time. Although my camera has a CCD sensor but basically it should be the same.

« Reply #11 on: 31 / May / 2014, 10:19:16 »
I really appreciate the feedback on this topic, guys. It really makes me wonder, if this is just a tax issue, why don't they just say so? And why would it apply to cameras sold where it isn't an issue. They have IXUS in Europe and Elph here in the west. So if they can package it in a different case, with a different label, why not a different firmware? The manual for the ELPH 115/120/130 really shows the absurdity of all this. The 130 has the 10 minute limit, the other two do not, and they look like pretty-much identical cameras, looking at the specs.

They told me it was a hardware limitation. Obviously not. And why is it that no one at Canon has an answer for this?

Just wondering...

Nomad57
« Last Edit: 31 / May / 2014, 10:22:13 by Nomad57 »

« Reply #12 on: 06 / June / 2014, 14:11:28 »
I have attempted to test your CHDK build, with the following results:

I booted the camera, went into the menu, to "video parameters", where I thought I would find a setting to remove the time limit, but found none. I started the camera in movie mode, thinking that perhaps the limit was removed without having to adjust a setting. The recording began, but I wanted to keep an eye on the temperatures, so I opened the menu so that I could set it to show the chip temp as well as the OPT temp. I could not close the menu screen, and none of the other buttons worked. I could not stop the recording, or turn off the camera. I had to remove the battery to stop the recording.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Nomad57

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #13 on: 06 / June / 2014, 15:49:10 »
I have attempted to test your CHDK build, with the following results:

I booted the camera, went into the menu, to "video parameters", where I thought I would find a setting to remove the time limit, but found none.
If you don't see the new menu entry, you're not using nafraf's test build (assuming he got all necessary changes right).
You need to copy the archive contents to the card, and lock it with the plastic side switch. If CHDK doesn't start automatically, start CHDK with the firmware update method (assuming you did not remove the official CHDK build) and make the card bootable using the CHDK menu:
Miscellaneous stuff -> SD Card -> Make Card Bootable

I started the camera in movie mode, thinking that perhaps the limit was removed without having to adjust a setting. The recording began, but I wanted to keep an eye on the temperatures, so I opened the menu so that I could set it to show the chip temp as well as the OPT temp. I could not close the menu screen, and none of the other buttons worked. I could not stop the recording, or turn off the camera. I had to remove the battery to stop the recording.
That's a separate known issue. Some cameras prohibit all file operations while movie recording is in progress. To avoid the hangup, do not alter CHDK settings and don't try to load scripts while you're recording a movie.
« Last Edit: 06 / June / 2014, 15:51:44 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #14 on: 07 / June / 2014, 07:45:18 »
I was using nafraf's test build. I did make the card bootable, as per his instructions, since there was no PS.FI2 file in his test build. When the camera booted, the screen indicated that it was nafraf's test build, and that I had 1 day left. The menu item did not appear in "Video Parameters".

Your point is taken about not making menu adjustments while the video recording is in progress. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Regards,

Nomad57

Offline nafraf

« Reply #15 on: 07 / June / 2014, 14:26:32 »
I discovered the bug in previous version. Please test this new file.

« Reply #16 on: 07 / June / 2014, 16:13:15 »
OK. Have downloaded and will test.

Nomad57

« Reply #17 on: 07 / June / 2014, 16:36:03 »
Nafraf,

I installed your latest build and began a test recording, after selecting "video without time limit" in video parameters. The recording stopped at :09 ' 59".

I observed the temps during the recording:

OPT: 34
CMOS: 44
Batt: 48

Determined little bugger, isn't it?

Thanks for trying again.

Regards,

Nomad57

« Last Edit: 07 / June / 2014, 16:38:07 by Nomad57 »

« Reply #18 on: 20 / June / 2016, 14:18:11 »
Sorry for the bump, but I assume its better to ask here, since this is specifically what I am wanting to know, does anyone with the ELPH 330 HS and the continuous video script (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Continuous_Video_Scripts) know if the video will continue to record up to the 4gb mark and start a new file... or does the 330 have an issue.

I am looking to purchase a canon camera for video recording, I am considering a few models, the elph 330 hs, elphs 115 is, SX260 HS, possibly the s100

but it seems the elph 330 hs would be the best based on features and reviews.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #19 on: 20 / June / 2016, 17:31:28 »
AFAIK, the time limit has not been removed for elph330, so your clips would be limited to 10 minutes regardless of file size. You should be able to use one of those scripts to repeatedly record ~10 minute clips.

I am looking to purchase a canon camera for video recording, I am considering a few models, the elph 330 hs, elphs 115 is, SX260 HS, possibly the s100
The SX260 and S100 are higher end models, so they will generally have more features and better performance, but that may not be relevant to your particular needs.
Don't forget what the H stands for.