Mounting while timelapse in progress ? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Mounting while timelapse in progress ?

• 8 Replies
Mounting while timelapse in progress ?
« on: 14 / September / 2009, 16:13:07 »
Advertisements
helo

Im working on to setting up timelapse photo capture mission for few months with photo cameras every 2 minute (some times 30 sec). And i dream to make it on free software but gphoto is currently broken for canon cameras so i wonder:

Is it possible to mount camera and download photos, while time lapse with chdk is going on every 1 minute ?

For host im going to use ubuntu server 8.04; camera will be depend from current availability of used canon cameras on ebay.

Offline RaduP

Re: Mounting while timelapse in progress ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 / September / 2009, 16:23:45 »
Yes, google eyefi. No support for ubuntu, but maybe you can try wine or something.

« Reply #2 on: 14 / September / 2009, 16:54:50 »
eyefi is beyond my budget ;(

Offline RaduP

« Reply #3 on: 14 / September / 2009, 17:06:21 »
The cheapest Eye-fi card is 50 bucks, if you find an old supported camera on Ebay, the whole thing might be just a little over 100 bucks.

Without Eye-fi, I don't think it is possble.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 14 / September / 2009, 17:58:40 »
@szczym
Eye-Fi don't run stable for a longer time, the camera must be restarted (manually) from time to time (it was reported at least after some hundred images)...

Are you sure with gphoto ? I thought it should work...

Another possibility:
the SDM (Stereo Data Maker, a CHDK fork) can switch between playback and record mode from a running script, it should be possible to transfer the images automatically when the camera comes to playback mode; in playback mode images normally can be transfered via PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol).

You can have a look to the SDM homepage, especially to Image uploading, Uploading to the PC at regular intervals and also to Continuous immediate uploading to the PC.
The first two links points to a Windows solution (WIA-Loader, a Windows .NET app) - but the WIA loader is widely MONO compatibel, maybe you'll get it to work under Linux (or Wine).
The third link points to a solution using the commercial application "PSRemote", also a Windows application, but maybe this will run under Wine...

But first i'll give gphoto a 2nd chance, maybe you'll find a solution, it's a pretty nice & powerful framework...good luck !
« Last Edit: 14 / September / 2009, 18:02:09 by fe50 »

« Reply #5 on: 14 / September / 2009, 21:10:17 »
Thank you 2 for informations, i will consider sdm image "push" feature, as i need really reliable solution and actually i dont really trust hardware witch i have to register, to use (i learned it on a site where eye-fe been reviewed)

In deed its really shame with gphoto but i dont give up, today i test it again on vanila ubuntu server and Marcus, the developer is very help full:
http://www.nabble.com/Still-problems-with-canon-a510-and-2.4.7-tp25400668p25445504.html

@fe50: Did you been using gphoto successfully with canon cameras nova days ?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #6 on: 15 / September / 2009, 01:29:48 »
@fe50: Did you been using gphoto successfully with canon cameras nova days ?
I rarely use gphoto.
Some days ago i did a fast (successful) test with my SX10 to see whether non-JPEG files will be visible correctly...used FluxFlux-Eee (a PCLinuxOS remaster).

Offline jan

• PowerShot SX20 IS (100f)
    • cms -db
« Reply #7 on: 15 / September / 2009, 02:09:45 »
On Ubuntu 9.04 gphoto detects my SX20 fine. You could try to install a new version of gphoto on Ubuntu 8.04, then it should work.

« Reply #8 on: 15 / September / 2009, 04:22:46 »
hmm, sx20 and sx10 are beyond my budget, i have ten used a510 and one g5. And for a project like that a camera any way will be wasted after a while

any way thanx for help folks!