MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script - page 4 - LUA Scripting - CHDK Forum  

MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script

• 121 Replies
Re: MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script
« Reply #30 on: 25 / March / 2014, 18:22:29 »
Advertisements
I have more info on that zoom lever issue that I mentioned above and maybe you can give me a suggestion.  It only happens on my DIY power-supplies that I built, where I use one of those 12v/5v bricks and then a step-down dealy that takes it from 5v to 3.7v. 
Sorry .. its probably obvious but what's a step-down dealy?

When I use any one of those, I built 3, that's when I get the zoom lever issue.  That's the only know issue that I have with my DIY power-supplies.  Could it be that it doesn't like the voltage or something like that?  Thanks.
To be clear - when you are running the script,  the zoom lever is ignored?  Are you saying the zoom leaver also does not work with no script active if you are using your DIY power supply?  Seems strange that would happen if the rest of the camera functions correctly.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #31 on: 25 / March / 2014, 18:31:06 »
The dealy looks like this:

As for the script running when it happens, it happens when the script is not running.  I understand that the zoom lever doesn't work when a script is running.

« Reply #32 on: 25 / March / 2014, 18:35:09 »
The dealy looks like this:
Well,  that could explain it.  My cameras draw as much as 1.5 amps when doing things like moving the zoom.  I can't really read the label on the dealy too clearly but I suspect it's having trouble delivering enough current when you try to zoom.   I'd expect similar issues with extending the lens in shooting mode.

« Reply #33 on: 25 / March / 2014, 18:41:55 »
OK, I'll do some experimenting with this issue.  I also built 3 other DIY power-supplies, and they provide an even 4.10v so I'll see if the issue happens with those and write back later.  Thanks.

« Reply #34 on: 25 / March / 2014, 19:13:35 »
OK, I'll do some experimenting with this issue.  I also built 3 other DIY power-supplies, and they provide an even 4.10v so I'll see if the issue happens with those and write back later.  Thanks.
The voltage is not really the issue.  Its the ability to deliver up to 1.5 amps (or so) at that voltage.  Put a meter on the pins and watch what happens when you press the zoom lever.  If it can't deliver the required current then the voltage will droop.

« Reply #35 on: 04 / April / 2014, 18:48:20 »
Well, all of those little dealys I bought say they put out 3amp so that should be enough.  It's probably just my sketchy wiring.

« Reply #36 on: 04 / April / 2014, 18:51:56 »
Well, all of those little dealys I bought say they put out 3amp so that should be enough.  It's probably just my sketchy wiring.
Maybe - on both counts.  I'd still try measuring it under load.

« Reply #37 on: 04 / April / 2014, 18:55:03 »
How do I 'put a meter on the pins' as you say above, to measure the load.

« Reply #38 on: 04 / April / 2014, 19:12:54 »
How do I 'put a meter on the pins' as you say above, to measure the load.
Put your meter across the output connection from the "dealys" where you sliced its wire to the cable the goes to your camera's power input connector.

« Reply #39 on: 11 / April / 2014, 22:03:20 »
I haven't had that problem with these housings but the longest I've had them out was for 2hrs, the length of the factory battery.  Hmm?  That's a good question.  I guess I'll find out.  Hope it isn't a lot and ruins my camera.  I did get condensation once from a -20 day when I brought the cam into the house but it went away after a few hours.  Of course we're talking winter in that case and not summer.
Water will condense of the coldest object as the temperature drops below the dew point.  When the outside temp drops,  that will tend to be the case rather than the camera.  At least I think that's the theory.  So what you need is something like the "Rainex" solution that was discussed here to prevent the water from beading up and forming droplets on the window the lens is shooting through.   Either that or a much bigger battery and a 25 watt power resistor to act as a heater...

Carrying over from my experience in UW video there is a another solution to condensation in SEALED housings.

Using anti-fog inserts are very effective such as these:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Anti-Fog-Inserts-for-GoPro-Hero3-Hero2-Hero-by-NoFog-/181051646529?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2784e241

DIY anti-fog inserts: http://youtu.be/0ZUbvveHcxw

If the housing has enough space you can use small desiccant packets as well.

After messing around with this script I gotta say I like it.  Living in FL I could get a lot of use out it for lightning.  Just gotta wait another month for the rainy season to start.
« Last Edit: 11 / April / 2014, 22:07:48 by El Pistoffo »