In-Camera Image Integrity Protection -Master/Diploma thesis- using CHDK - Script Writing - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

In-Camera Image Integrity Protection -Master/Diploma thesis- using CHDK

• 7 Replies

Offline Lebeau

Advertisements

Offline reyalp

Proofing the integrity of digital images is vital for their acceptance as evidence at court. And due to the increasing amount of Internet-based news distribution for a future information society the question whether to trust images or not will become common. To ensure the authenticity and integrity of an image it should be protected at the most early stage possible, during its creation within a digital camera. Only then one can be sure that no manipulations have taken place before adding the security information.
Can I just give them an F right now and save them the trouble ? Seriously, the problem as stated is unsolvable. Anything that can be done in CHDK could be done to an altered CHDK raw image after the fact.

Both Canon http://www.elcomsoft.com/canon.html and Nikon http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/05/nikon_image_aut.html have failed to solve it, and they control the hardware.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
@reyalp

LOL Kind of like a follow-up to this post from about 2.5 years ago.

wim

Offline fudgey

• a570is
I find it quite endearing that they think this could/should be implemented in ubasic.  :blink:

Offline philmoz

• Photos
You'd think the 'Center for Advanced Security Research' would actually do some security research before coming out with something this stupid :lol

CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline Lebeau

I am really happy from receiving these comments because that was my first impression.

How are you expecting to create encrypted signature within raw data using scripting language ?
Encrypted signature within raw data is feasible but is it usefull and, encountering first objective, secure ?

I like CHDK potentials and community but it's still oriented toward multimedia (photo, video, audio) applications.

Offline reyalp

I am really happy from receiving these comments because that was my first impression.

How are you expecting to create encrypted signature within raw data using scripting language ?
Presumably, you'd put the actual encryption stuff in the C code...
Encrypted signature within raw data is feasible but is it usefull and, encountering first objective, secure ?
It depends on the objective. It's possible that the listing you posted doesn't describe the objective accurately and they are actually trying to do something more reasonable...

If the objective is an image authentication system similar to the ones I linked in my earlier post, it appears deeply misguided to think you could do this in software on the camera.

Some related objectives (like "This image was produced by someone in possession of a particular secret") should be achievable.

One would think they must read these forums, so maybe they will enlighten us ;)
Don't forget what the H stands for.