Selective Intervalometer (days, days of week, hours/min, intervals min/sec) - page 7 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Selective Intervalometer (days, days of week, hours/min, intervals min/sec)

• 88 Replies
Advertisements
Hmm, if I'm reading that correctly, the camera will re-enable it after every shot, meaning I'd have to have it turn back off.   In that case, turning the backlight on and back off every five minutes for 60 weeks is probably going to be harder on it than just leaving it on 24/7.  What do you think? 

Hmm, if I'm reading that correctly, the camera will re-enable it after every shot, meaning I'd have to have it turn back off.   In that case, turning the backlight on and back off every five minutes for 60 weeks is probably going to be harder on it than just leaving it on 24/7.  What do you think? 
I don't really know - I could probably make an arguement either way.

FWIW, my G10's display mode can be changed with the DISP button such that the LCD turns off and stays off  until you press the DISP button again.  If I also disable the shot review mode then the LCD never turns on.   I'd be a little surprised if you can't do the same thing with the S90 although sometime Canon limits that functionality to cameras with an optical view finder.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

The S90 is a really nice little camera (nice enough that I plan to sell my Lumix LX3 to buy one!) but I did not see that setting in the menus anywhere to disable the screen (though my A270IS DOES have that).  While the script is running, the display button does nothing.  I was thinking maybe I could start the script and then turn it off completely, but no dice. 

I will read a little and see if I can do something like your G10 with it. 

While the script is running, the display button does nothing.
That makes sense as when you run the script, the camera is in <ALT> mode and CHDK has control of all the buttons.  You need to try turning the display off with the DISP key before you go into <ALT> mode.  If you have your script arlready preloaded then all you need to do at that point is press the shutter key to start the script ( albiet blindly).
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

In that case, turning the backlight on and back off every five minutes for 60 weeks is probably going to be harder on it than just leaving it on 24/7.  What do you think? 

Matt, I don't think that repeatedly turning the backlight off & on will hurt it at all.  It's a problem with incandescent lights, because the filament is heating white-hot and cooling, and the thermal expansion & contraction are rough on it.  LEDs and fluorescent backlights don't have that problem.  Consider cars with LED taillights.  To get maximum efficiency, they overdrive the LEDs and cycle them off & on at maybe 30 or 60 Hz. -- Next time you're behind a car with new LED taillights, move your eyes suddenly to one side, and you'll see the taillights split into trails of dots.

And then there's fiberoptic communications, which depend on LEDs switching at incomprehensible speeds.  Turning you camera's backlight off after each shot for 60 weeks amounts to 121,000 cycles.  That's the same as having your taillights on for an hour or so.  Or driving a fiberoptic line for what -- a millisecond?

Add that line of code & save your display.
S3 IS with LensMate filter/hood adapter

I'll think about it.  I wonder if I use the display button before the script is run, if that will just leave it off, even when shooting.  It's funny that this wasn't a problem on my $54 a570IS but on the $200 S90 it's an issue. 

The 570IS had a viewfinder and the LCD was NOT REQUIRED for "aiming" the camera. The S90 does NOT have a viewfinder and relies on the LCD solely for proper "pointing" of the camera. Because of this - canon removed the ability to "turn off" the LCD from the software of the S90.

Hillbille

The 570IS had a viewfinder and the LCD was NOT REQUIRED for "aiming" the camera. The S90 does NOT have a viewfinder and relies on the LCD solely for proper "pointing" of the camera. Because of this - canon removed the ability to "turn off" the LCD from the software of the S90.

Hillbille
That makes sense.  I found a low-tech solution this morning.  Plugged in the composite video cable and cut off the end so it's just the plug sticking off the side fo the camera.  This turns off the screen 100% of the time while the cord is plugged in.  Doesn't even flash on when a photo is taken.  Also doesn't seem to be affecting the CHDK or script at all either. 

That is an EXCELLENT solution to your problem! We were all thinking in terms of the "software" solution and you got the low tech ultra solution!! LOL!! I love it! Easy to turn "on" and "off" as you wish too!!

Hillbille

Offline reyalp

That makes sense.  I found a low-tech solution this morning.  Plugged in the composite video cable and cut off the end so it's just the plug sticking off the side fo the camera.  This turns off the screen 100% of the time while the cord is plugged in.  Doesn't even flash on when a photo is taken.  Also doesn't seem to be affecting the CHDK or script at all either. 
FWIW, people who measured power consumption have reported that this saves very little power. When video out is on, the sensor and display output hardware still run all the time. If your interval is relatively long, you can use the cameras display off timeout to turn the display and sensor off after a short time. You may need to add an extra keypress to wake it up again before shooting.
Don't forget what the H stands for.