Lens Error, lens stuck open - CHDK installed - Canon S100 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Lens Error, lens stuck open - CHDK installed - Canon S100

• 9 Replies
« on: 23 / December / 2015, 05:19:11 »
Advertisements
This may be a broken-camera problem and not a CHDK issue.  Yes I did originally want CHDK for its features but now I am hoping it can somehow solve the problem by wiping the firmware to zero or whatever. The problem existed before I ever installed CHDK.

The lens is permanently stuck open and I get the message "Lens Error. Will shut down automatically. Restart camera."

Shooting Mode is completely dead but Playback Mode works fine (menus and options; before reformatting I was able to photos on the card).

*After* the problem started I successfully installed CHDK using STICK and locking the SD card. I get the CHDK startup logo and can get to the CHDK menus and navigate around so it appears to be OK.

I downloaded new firmware and installation instructions from the Canon site but there's no Firm Update option in the menu and without that, I don't see how I can update the firmware.

The camera was not dropped, hit or near dirt or sand. I don't know if normal everyday microscopic dust is capable of getting in and wrecking the entire motor!?

Offline c_joerg

Re: Lens Error, lens stuck open - CHDK installed - Canon S100
« Reply #1 on: 23 / December / 2015, 06:38:15 »
This helps me once:

Take the battery longer out, may be a night.
Press the shutter bottom while you put the battery in…

M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

« Reply #2 on: 23 / December / 2015, 11:30:42 »
The S100 is infamous for failing on lens errors.  There was even an extended Canon warranty recall type thing for it. Google for "S100 lens error".  It's a hardware problem with a little connector that comes loose- you can even fix it yourself if you have the tools and skills. There is at least one web page showing how.
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2015, 12:30:28 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #3 on: 23 / December / 2015, 12:08:54 »
As to trying a firmware update - you need a valid firmware update file for your firmware version that will be called ps.fi2 in the top directory of your SD card.  Then you need to start the camera using the playback button - not the on/off button. At that point you will see a Firmware Update menu item at the bottom of the first Canon menu.

But as I said above, you are likely dealing with a hardware issue. A firmware update will not fix or reset that.
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2015, 12:10:46 by waterwingz »

« Reply #4 on: 27 / December / 2015, 07:32:05 »
Being the S100 I would take it for repair or throw it away. Like waterwingz said they are infmaous for this issue. I had one, had it repaired and after 2 months started happening again. I later bought an S120 and its working to this day (2 years now)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: 30 / December / 2015, 05:39:51 »
you need a valid firmware update file for your firmware version that will be called ps.fi2 in the top directory of your SD card.  Then you need to start the camera using the playback button - not the on/off button.

I had done all that; those things are mentioned in some instructions or forum post I had found but thank you for pointing them out in case I had missed them. Didn't work. But see my post below.

« Reply #6 on: 30 / December / 2015, 05:45:59 »
Being the S100 I would take it for repair or throw it away. Like waterwingz said they are infmaous for this issue. I had one, had it repaired and after 2 months started happening again. I later bought an S120 and its working to this day (2 years now)

$400 for a disposable camera is obscene, not just for cost reasons but extremely harmful to the environment too. I can't believe anyone puts up with this! The guy at the repair shop told me all cameras are the same. I assume he meant point-and-shoot / compact and not SLRs. Or are SLR owners forking over $1000 or $2000 every 3 years?

The guy recommended a Sony since I'm so angry at Canon, he said comparable overall but better pic quality due to larger sensor. I forget the model but it was $380. Slightly thicker body.
« Last Edit: 30 / December / 2015, 05:54:29 by fvfvfv »

« Reply #7 on: 30 / December / 2015, 05:51:39 »
After sitting untouched for 6 days, the camera is working now! I was out of town and did absolutely nothing to the camera. I just picked it up and turned it on and it works.

This is with CHDK installed but that was done before I left town and the lens was still stuck open and with Lens Error for a few days with CHDK. So it kinda seems like the solution was for the camera to sit, rather than installing CHDK, but we can't be 100% sure.

« Reply #8 on: 30 / December / 2015, 07:22:37 »
Fvfvfv great its back working again. But don't trust it. It may stop when you most need it.
The sony is probably the first rx100 models but for canon you have some powershot g7x (and other #x) with the same size 1" sensor

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: 31 / December / 2015, 10:08:17 »
But don't trust it.
FWIW - I did some googling and my subjective opinion is that the S100 has more hits for "Len Error" than any other camera. 

Search Link >  https://www.google.com/webhp?#q=Canon+S100+Lens+error

I still carry my S100 with me regularly,  but I have the camera on my mobile phone as a backup should it fail again.