CHDK made me discover Photography (again) (HDR / Panoramas) - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum  

CHDK made me discover Photography (again) (HDR / Panoramas)

• 5 Replies
Advertisements
Hi,

last September I purchased a Canon SX110 compact camera having been unaware at that time of CHDK  :-[

But finally by chance I discovered CHDK and after studying some manuals I started with HDR, panorama and normal ;)  photography, which was possible to this extend only with CHDK. Though realizing the limits of the camera in terms of quality and usability the camera is pushed to a new limit.

The results made me even start my blog @ http://klausenburgcenteroftheworld.blogspot.com/ again. Everything there is 100% CHDK. One major objective for my shots is that I like to relive that particular moment when the picture was taken.

If there is particular interest I would like to share my techniques.

Thanks to all who made CHDK possible!

Cheers,

Klaus

edit: example ;)
« Last Edit: 14 / July / 2010, 15:45:09 by schoko_chantale »

Re: CHDK made me discover Photography (again)
« Reply #1 on: 06 / May / 2010, 22:52:21 »
I like this... I checked your blog as well. Good work. Love the HDR pics
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS ~FW-1.02C~

« Reply #2 on: 14 / May / 2010, 06:51:22 »
Thanks for your nice feedback :)

« Reply #3 on: 14 / May / 2010, 16:19:38 »
that picture is awesome, just awesome

« Reply #4 on: 29 / May / 2010, 02:20:01 »
i would definitely like to know what you did you achieve this. this is beautiful.

Re: CHDK made me discover Photography (again) (HDR / Panoramas)
« Reply #5 on: 08 / June / 2010, 03:27:37 »

i would definitely like to know what you did you achieve this. this is beautiful.

I am currently preparing a small tutorial - but as always I am a little bit short on time right now.

So here is the short version:

The particular shot is stitched from 3 individual HDR images which consist each of 7 differently exposed pictures. The images have a difference in exposure of 1EV giving the whole image a +/- 3 EV difference in contrast.

A good starting point for creating HDR is a tutorial at Stuck in customs.

On the software side photomatrix for HDR and Autopano Pro for stitching images are very good choices.

If you looking for freeware / non-commercial software Hugin is good for creating panoramas and FDRtools is also good for HDR images.

The generated image usually needs to be edited and cleaned up a little bit especially as HDR processing introduces a significant amount of noise. You can use your favorite image editing program for that purpose.
Besides all of that you need a good subject ;) and a tripod as well. If your particular Canon model feature a wide angle lens (SX110 doesn't) you might not need panoramas at all.

Cheers.