KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 20 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies

Offline lapser

Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #190 on: 29 / May / 2014, 13:53:35 »
Advertisements
Regarding the shutter speed, the a495 specs show max shutter speed 1/2000. Will it make any difference to set it higher?
It might, but it won't be a lot of difference. On the SX260, the shutter speed maxed out at about 1/3500. Anything faster didn't change the actual exposure of the picture.
Regarding the focal length and MF mode, what's the recommended setting?
The ideal is to set it at the hyperfocal distance, which is as close as the camera will focus and still have infinity be in focus. That way pictures of ground objects will be sharper at low altitude.

If you're setting it manually before starting the script, you could crank the focus up to infinity and then back off one notch. A script can find the hyperfocal distance and set it to that, if it has that feature.
Last, the three times I've been out, a set of two AA batteries has lasted about 30 minutes. Is this expected, because the script is using a lot of processing power? Or am I doing something wrong? I've used fairly new Eneloops, and brand new disposable Duracells.
I would try AA lithium batteries. They're advertised to last 7 times longer, so they should last a few minutes longer, at least :)  They are more expensive, though.

There may be camera settings that are using a lot of power. Image stabilization might be using a lot of juice. You could try shutting it off and see if the pictures are still sharp. GPS also uses a lot of power, if the camera has it. Shutting the display off saves about 10 or 15% power use.
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

« Reply #191 on: 29 / May / 2014, 14:59:03 »
Regarding the shutter speed, the a495 specs show max shutter speed 1/2000. Will it make any difference to set it higher?
It might, but it won't be a lot of difference. On the SX260, the shutter speed maxed out at about 1/3500. Anything faster didn't change the actual exposure of the picture.
Try it and see.  Just be sure to compare the actaul images rather than reported settings.  Some cameras have been reported to go up over 1/5000.  Unlike ISO and f-stops,  this is one setting where CHDK can usually substantially extend the available range.

Regarding the focal length and MF mode, what's the recommended setting?
The ideal is to set it at the hyperfocal distance, which is as close as the camera will focus and still have infinity be in focus. That way pictures of ground objects will be sharper at low altitude.

If you're setting it manually before starting the script, you could crank the focus up to infinity and then back off one notch. A script can find the hyperfocal distance and set it to that, if it has that feature.
In practice,  using hyperfocal distance rather than infinity does not produce any measurable difference in the resulting images with Canon P&S cameras.   The lens depth of field is so high that it's not worth the effort to even try.   So for the kap_uav.lua script,  you can just have the script set the focus at infinity and be done with worrying about that.

Last, the three times I've been out, a set of two AA batteries has lasted about 30 minutes. Is this expected, because the script is using a lot of processing power? Or am I doing something wrong? I've used fairly new Eneloops, and brand new disposable Duracells.
I would try AA lithium batteries. They're advertised to last 7 times longer, so they should last a few minutes longer, at least :)  They are more expensive, though.

There may be camera settings that are using a lot of power. Image stabilization might be using a lot of juice. You could try shutting it off and see if the pictures are still sharp. GPS also uses a lot of power, if the camera has it. Shutting the display off saves about 10 or 15% power use.
Camera settings can change battery life quite a bit.  But what you need to remember is that normally these cameras power off after 30 seconds if there is no activity, resulting on a perceived long battery life.  With an intervalometer script,  the camera processor never shuts down and draws power continuously.  It's not a question of the script using a lot of processor power - it's just a question of not shutting down after a shot is taken.  The display off settings in the script parameters  can help as lapser noted.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #192 on: 29 / May / 2014, 18:00:07 »

I will test for you.
Thanks.  I now have all the code changes done to add the two new USB modes - single shot per USB pulse and Gentles pwm detection mode - in addition to the old mode of intervalometer while USB power is present.    Not quite sure how to tell the lens to retract in single shot per USB pulse mode though.

If I can find another hour today and my Arduino test rig will fire up and send precision pulses, I'll do some testing prior to sending you a new version.

Hi waterwingz, gentle PWM drive mode test ok. So good. Thank you so much. Now it's works perfect.

« Reply #193 on: 30 / May / 2014, 19:45:43 »
Version 3.0 now posted to the CHDK KAP_UAV wiki page and download site.

Support added for single shot per usb pulse mode and gentWIRE-USB2 pwm type devices.   I also snuck in a restore of the console timeout interval (the script sets it really long on entry) and logging of the camera mode and focus modes when the script starts.

Thanks to afishindouban and Bobo67 for testing the latest changes.
« Last Edit: 30 / May / 2014, 20:23:03 by waterwingz »

« Reply #194 on: 08 / June / 2014, 08:49:10 »
Need quicker shot interval

Hi all,

I'm using a Elph 300 in a fixed wing for aerial mapping. I can't slow the plane down any more. The fastest I can get pictures are about 3.5 seconds apart. That just doesn't get enough overlap to build a map. What are the best settings to achieve smallest shot interval, or is that just a limitation on the camera? Also, is there a known canon point and shoot that takes that fastest pictures?

Thanks!

Brian

« Reply #195 on: 08 / June / 2014, 09:14:20 »
I'm using a Elph 300 in a fixed wing for aerial mapping. I can't slow the plane down any more. The fastest I can get pictures are about 3.5 seconds apart. That just doesn't get enough overlap to build a map.
That seems a bit slow but consistent with my results.Do you have "RAW/DNG" enabled? That will slow things down.

What are the best settings to achieve smallest shot interval, or is that just a limitation on the camera?
That's a limit when you cycle through a complete "shooting" cycle.  A fast Class 10 SD card can help a bit.  After that you need a different script.   Try these on the ground and see how fast you can get :
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Fast_Shooter_Intervalometer
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts:_A_fast_%22intervalometer%22
They can probably be tweaked a bit for UAV work if you find they work for you.

Also, is there a known canon point and shoot that takes that fastest pictures?
I don't believe anyone has done a comparison across the brand.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #196 on: 08 / June / 2014, 09:51:04 »
What are the best settings to achieve smallest shot interval, or is that just a limitation on the camera?
That seems a bit slow but consistent with my results.Do you have "RAW/DNG" enabled? That will slow things down.
+ 'review' should be off in the Canon menu + AFL or MF to eliminate refocusing

« Reply #197 on: 08 / June / 2014, 10:07:38 »
+ 'review' should be off in the Canon menu + AFL or MF to eliminate refocusing
Good point on the "review". 

FWIW, the script's "focus @ infinity" setting let's you pick AFL or MF to lock focus and warns you if it doesn't work.

« Reply #198 on: 08 / June / 2014, 10:19:36 »
Thanks guys!!!

Review was set at 2 seconds. Camera now snapping pictures at < 2 seconds. Can't wait to go fly. :)

Brian

Offline M141

« Reply #199 on: 12 / June / 2014, 13:20:32 »
Hi,
I had to register, just to say big thanks to Waterwingz and everybody who have been developing this script! So thank you and awesome work!  :)

At the moment i'm using 2.4 version of script with Arducopter quadrocopter and diy brushless gimbal. Camera is ELPH300(IXUS 220HS) with 1.2.0-3418 CHDK. Not yet using usb-remote, but soon will. So far i've been done aerial mapping or just shooting generic photos.

I'm still playing with gimbal and script settings and i have few questions:

1. What metering mode we should use in genarally? Does is make any difference for exposure or will chdk/KAP&UAV overdrive this setting anyway?

2. Not sure about what is possible with usb remote. Is it possible to do following at one flight:
 a. turn camera and script running on/off?
 b. Zoom in/out?
 c. Change camera mode between video and script mode? Recording video on/off?
I can use Arduino to generate pulses, but not sure what are actually the limits and is possible.

Also i might found two little bugs or things to improve?
@param     e Exposure Comp (stops)
  @default e 6
  @values  e -2.0 -1.66 -1.33 -1.0 -0.66 0.33 0.0 0.33 0.66 1.00 1.33 1.66 2.00
  <--missing "-" for negative 0.33??

2. When using Video Interleave and Video Duration the camera stops responsing after hitting Interrupt button, when camera is taking video. Have to take battery out to reset. Interrupt works if it is done during photo shoot.

ps. sorry my english ;)
Regards Jani