Canon EOS-M10 + Streaming - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Canon EOS-M10 + Streaming

• 8 Replies
Canon EOS-M10 + Streaming
« on: 27 / May / 2020, 15:53:14 »
Advertisements
Good evening everyone, I take advantage of this my first post to introduce myself, my name is Ivan I am Italian (sorry for my terrible English, I know), I have been aware of this community for a few days.
I need your help (if possible), I have a Canon M10, I would like to use it as a webcam for my contraction flow, but I have no elegant cam link (sales are over).
I tried with the canon utility, but it is not enabled with the M10.
Could anyone tell me if there are alternative methods or programs that allow me to use my M10 as a streaming webcam?

thank you so much for your time
have a nice evening!

Re: Canon EOS-M10 + Streaming
« Reply #1 on: 26 / September / 2020, 23:10:43 »
Yes, there is a way that I use to get the EOS M10 as webcam. In order to do that I am currently using a cheap HDMI Capture Card USB Chinese made, probably 10-15$ worth. And what about using Blackmagic or Elgato capture card? Well you could probably could using it too, even though expensive, and I would love to know the result ;)
For the connection cable, I am using ordinary end to end connector HDMI cable with HDMI converter on one end to the camera. Then just plug and play to get the captured display result.
One thing for sure, if you still using the original firmware, that you can't get long captured display result since the original firmware limit the camera's time for maximal 3 minutes (wih Power Saving setting OFF)

This is where CHDK came into rescue. At this moment, I am using CHDK versions 1.5.0 prealpha built with constraint of constant flickering, but if you choose manual mode without Auto Focus (AF) enabled, as far as I know its OK.
Just read the instruction of how to install the mods, googling how to install CHDK would be great help if you are a first time beginner. When CHDK already running, go to the menu "CHDK SETTING" and choose "Disable LCD Off" to "ALWAYS". That way the camera display won't go blank into sleep/power saving mode. In order to complete and getting clean HDMI output from camera, you should pressing INFO button few times.
Ooh and one thing, your camera temperature will be rising up, and since I don't use dummy battery for extended use, I still haven't any clue of how long this camera will hold. So far by using standard battery, I could only power it up on OBS for about one++ hour or so.

Cheers and good luck  :D

« Reply #2 on: 20 / February / 2021, 03:46:43 »
I did exactly the same. The capture card reports a FHD video resolution, but to my eyes it looks like upscaled SVGA.  gphoto2 can stream video over USB (no HDMI capture card needed), but the resolution is very low (NTSC).
EOS m10

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #3 on: 20 / February / 2021, 10:55:58 »
The capture card reports a FHD video resolution, but to my eyes it looks like upscaled SVGA.
Try recording video in-camera while using the HDMI capture device. Make a snapshot from the HDMI output and compare it to the recorded video.

« Reply #4 on: 01 / April / 2021, 07:18:53 »
Thank you for posting this thread as I too am having issues trying to use my M10 as a streaming camera, so far what I have found is very minimal and EVERY time I switch my camera off I LOSE CHDK and its settings!! Is there a fix for this?? Canon NEEDS TO HURRY UP and add the M10 to their list for Webcam utilizes.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 01 / April / 2021, 18:11:46 »
EVERY time I switch my camera off I LOSE CHDK and its settings!! Is there a fix for this??
I'm assuming you start CHDK from the Canon menu. CHDK settings only apply when CHDK is running.
If you want to load it automatically, make the card bootable. Note that cards larger than 32GB need to be formatted to FAT32 (on a computer) in order to be bootable. I tried to describe the basics in this post.

« Reply #6 on: 02 / April / 2021, 04:19:21 »
EVERY time I switch my camera off I LOSE CHDK and its settings!! Is there a fix for this??
I'm assuming you start CHDK from the Canon menu. CHDK settings only apply when CHDK is running.
If you want to load it automatically, make the card bootable. Note that cards larger than 32GB need to be formatted to FAT32 (on a computer) in order to be bootable. I tried to describe the basics in this post.

I started up my M10 via the Play button as per the instructions, and the card I am using is a 64GB in ExFAT (as I have to upload via my MacBook because it has the SD card holder). I just wish it wasnt such a hassle having to reboot CHDK everytime the camera is turned off. Also now that I have put files 1.10G and loaded them to the M10 is has an ERROR; Missing Modules up in the top left
« Last Edit: 02 / April / 2021, 04:33:40 by TootsTV »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 02 / April / 2021, 13:57:24 »
I started up my M10 via the Play button as per the instructions, and the card I am using is a 64GB in ExFAT (as I have to upload via my MacBook because it has the SD card holder).
I just wish it wasnt such a hassle having to reboot CHDK everytime the camera is turned off.
To have CHDK start automatically, the card needs to formatted FAT32. It's possible to do this with 64 GB cards, but can be complicated on Windows. Not sure about Mac.

If you don't actually need 64 GB of while you're streaming, you might find it simplest to just a get 32 GB card to use with CHDK.

Also now that I have put files 1.10G and loaded them to the M10 is has an ERROR; Missing Modules up in the top left
When you "files 1.10G" you mean the CHDK files?

This generally means CHDK is not correctly installed and will not function properly. If you look at the card in a card reader, is there a CHDK/MODULES folder with files in it?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #8 on: 02 / April / 2021, 14:30:19 »
The latest versions of MacOS and Canon cameras have an issue when exFAT formatted cards are written on Mac.
Folders created by macOS Big Sur on exFAT cards are unreadable in Canon EOS cams
That might affect cams with PowerShot firmware too.