CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis

• 465 Replies

Offline SticK

CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis
« on: 31 / August / 2012, 10:12:06 »
Advertisements
It is known that Canon eliminated RemoteCapture from this camera so direct A/B comparison cannot be made as in the [SX110] thread.  However because much has been learned from the SX110 some comparisons will be explored.

Results from your last build ....

The good news ... the 370x260 liveview is excellent and has better resolution than the SX110 in the same viewing mode.  Together with +3|4 f-stop dark imaging performance over the SX110 and +6|7 f-stop dark imaging performance over the S70 & S50, I am pleased to announce that CHDKPTP has opened the door to liveview and elevated the S90 as the leading CCD donor for the instrument. 

S90 is new to me so it will be some time before I get used to it and test most of the functionality, CHDK side inclusive. 

At present with my 2 GHz one-core and USB 1.0 I am getting 1 fps w/o UI and 0.7 fps with UI ON (as opposed to 2.8 fps with the SX110).  CPU is under 5% so I think most of that speed degradation is due to the USB 1.0 bottleneck and 640x480 frame transfer. 

At the moment there are some gremlins to look at:

a) palette
 b) note the horizontal lines in some icons

dump
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kz9wc4

A dual partition 8GB SD card is inconvenient for CHDK debugging & updates because I cannot access it from the FILES tab, ie ... requires taking the card out swapping partitions, updating, etc.  So a trip to the corner store is planned for this morning to pick up a 4GB card to streamline east coast <-> west coast interaction. 

Once up again post I will attempt a palette dump.  Please look at this data in the meantime.
« Last Edit: 31 / August / 2012, 10:13:43 by SticK »

Offline SticK

Re: CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis
« Reply #1 on: 31 / August / 2012, 12:49:10 »
Something else I noticed that could be helpful in your investigation ..... UI intensity varies with liveview intensity.  In a dark scene, I can't see any icons at all whereas the camera LCD continues to function normally.

Offline SticK

« Reply #2 on: 31 / August / 2012, 13:08:29 »
PALETTE DELIVERY PROBLEM 

I can't get you a palette test.  On the S90 the S button accesses CHDK and works fine untethered, although I find I usually have to press 3 or 4 times to get it to respond.  When PTP is running all buttons on the camera itself are locked out, unlike the SX110.  Also I tried ERASE (works with SX110) and PRINT to no avail.  Any suggestions?

Attached is a view of the Canon menu so you can see the horizontal bar artifact.  You should be able to get the data in previous dump.  If you need more, please let me know.

I await your reply to proceed.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 31 / August / 2012, 16:40:07 »
I can't get you a palette test.  On the S90 the S button accesses CHDK and works fine untethered, although I find I usually have to press 3 or 4 times to get it to respond.  When PTP is running all buttons on the camera itself are locked out, unlike the SX110.  Also I tried ERASE (works with SX110) and PRINT to no avail.  Any suggestions?
I don't understand, are you saying the CHDK keys are locked out when PTP is connected ? I've never seen this, and it shouldn't be possible because CHDK reads the hardware pretty directly.

The alt mode issue I mentioned earlier (where you may have to press alt a couple times to actually get into alt mode) does apply.

If you mean the canon firmware keyboard functions are locked out, this normal, but I don't understand why it prevents you from getting the palette. To unlock the Canon keys, you can try
=post_levent_to_ui(4484)

CPU is under 5% so I think most of that speed degradation is due to the USB 1.0 bottleneck and 640x480 frame transfer.
The viewport is 2x as big, and the bitmap is also larger, so on USB 1.0 you should expect it to be about half as fast. I wouldn't be completely surprised if continuously transferring at the max rate caused issues with the Canon firmware. You might try turning off the live view while you try to work in the UI.

edit:

Attached a new test build. It looks like I used the wrong address for the palette in the previous one :-[

attached the wrong thing
« Last Edit: 31 / August / 2012, 17:24:32 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline SticK

« Reply #4 on: 31 / August / 2012, 17:01:54 »
I don't have an AC adapter for this one so while the battery charges so I can repeat the tests & address your questions, could you help me with this in the meantime? ...

I have CHDK on a 4GB card // 1 partition. 

a) In the attached, you see multiple directories being formed with a new one each created time I shoot, and the file number inside it(them) is 0001.  I have DNG enabled.  Is that my finger trouble somewhere, a Canon option?

b) For some reason when I open the camera in the File Explorer to download files with this SD card I don't see the files (Canon JPG and CR2) -- panel is completely blank -- while with an 8 GB FAT32 (no CHDK), it's fine.  What could this be?

Offline SticK

« Reply #5 on: 31 / August / 2012, 17:06:36 »
Hmmm ... your ZIP says S100 ... we're working with the S90.  Do I go ahead?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 31 / August / 2012, 17:25:09 »
Hmmm ... your ZIP says S100 ... we're working with the S90.  Do I go ahead?
Oops, wrong thing. Try this one.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 31 / August / 2012, 17:31:23 »
  a) In the attached, you see multiple directories being formed with a new one each created time I shoot, and the file number inside it(them) is 0001.  I have DNG enabled.  Is that my finger trouble somewhere, a Canon option?
Don't really know. There is an option for raw in directory with jpeg, which might be related (you probably want it on). There are also some cameras that allow the folders to be named by date, and maybe a chdk option to use this ? (I don't have any cameras with this feature in the canon firmware, so I'm not really clear on how it interacts)

Note that S90 has native canon raw, so you could use that instead of DNG.
  b) For some reason when I open the camera in the File Explorer to download files with this SD card I don't see the files (Canon JPG and CR2) -- panel is completely blank -- while with an 8 GB FAT32 (no CHDK), it's fine.  What could this be?
Do you mean windows file explore, with the camera connected over PTP ?

Offline SticK

« Reply #8 on: 31 / August / 2012, 17:56:41 »
Quote "Note that S90 has native canon raw, so you could use that instead of DNG."

Do all your settings apply to native Raws?  eg, if I want no bad pixel fix, or no dark subtract?  They use compression 1/2 size DNG, so it would be nice.

Quote "Do you mean windows file explore, with the camera connected over PTP "

WinXP File Explorer only // camera connected to another computer to download files // nothing to do with PTP.

« Reply #9 on: 31 / August / 2012, 18:07:28 »
So a trip to the corner store is planned for this morning to pick up a 4GB card to streamline east coast <-> west coast interaction. 
You could have saved yourself the trip by formatting your 8G card with two 4G partitions and then used just the first partition.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16