Live view not with all Canon PowerShots? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Live view not with all Canon PowerShots?

• 7 Replies
Live view not with all Canon PowerShots?
« on: 09 / April / 2013, 08:11:51 »
Advertisements
Hi there!

I use CHDK (alpha) on my A4000IS. I want to use the camera for aerial photography, so I need permanent video out for the downlink. I finished making a combined remote shutter/AV out cable yesterday, but when I plugged it into the 11 pin port of the A4000 - nothing happened.

I resoldered the cable two times, checked everything again and again. I even shorted pins 6 & 7 and 6 & 11 on a spre plug, but even the screen did not turn off. Then, quite accidently, I realised that this is only in shooting mode. When switching the camera to playback mode, video out works with my cable.

Each and every camera I own, no matter if it is some years old or brand new, expensive or really cheap, every brand has a live view at its video output in shooting mode. Am I missing a setting, or is this feature not available on the A4000IS? Can CHDK help with activating live view at the av port in shooting mode? Wich PowerShot cameras are known to have a working live view via av out i shooting mode?

Thanks,
Danyel

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Live view not with all Canon PowerShots?
« Reply #1 on: 09 / April / 2013, 08:40:25 »
Am I missing a setting, or is this feature not available on the A4000IS?
No, Canon has removed this feature from all recent cheaper Powershot cameras...
Can CHDK help with activating live view at the av port in shooting mode?
It's not currently known how to do that, so the answer is no.
Wich PowerShot cameras are known to have a working live view via av out i shooting mode?
Older cameras, or more expensive ones. This is documented in the camera manuals.

« Reply #2 on: 09 / April / 2013, 09:28:58 »
Am I missing a setting, or is this feature not available on the A4000IS?
No, Canon has removed this feature from all recent cheaper Powershot cameras...
Can CHDK help with activating live view at the av port in shooting mode?
It's not currently known how to do that, so the answer is no.
Wich PowerShot cameras are known to have a working live view via av out i shooting mode?
Older cameras, or more expensive ones. This is documented in the camera manuals.
Damn... I supposed every point´n´shoot today has this feature, so I bought the A4000IS as I got a good offer. In the manual of the A4000IS there is no hint that video out only works in playback mode (at least not in the german manual). So I will have to find a) someone who needs a new camera, and b) a new camera with live video out :D

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #3 on: 09 / April / 2013, 09:56:18 »
In the manual of the A4000IS there is no hint that video out only works in playback mode (at least not in the german manual).
If you search for "TV" (or the equivalent in German) in the manual, you will only find references to "playback". They will of course not state that "we deliberately crippled this cheap model even further by removing another useful feature"  :(

« Reply #4 on: 09 / April / 2013, 10:16:42 »
They will of course not state that "we deliberately crippled this cheap model even further by removing another useful feature"  :(
Sad but true... they only reference playback mode.

Can you tell me a model that has live video out to check the manual if there is any hint on this topic as a help when researching wich camera to buy next?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 09 / April / 2013, 18:52:07 »
Can you tell me a model that has live video out to check the manual if there is any hint on this topic as a help when researching wich camera to buy next?
This crippling seems to only affect the A series at present (I might be wrong), models starting from A810-A1300-A2300-...
The wording used in the manual changes, so I can't give an exact search phrase.
You can see the model timeline in the following page: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/P-ID_(Table)

« Reply #6 on: 03 / June / 2013, 07:38:15 »
So, the only solution is buy a cctv camera and install in the back of lcd and tx the cctv camera... :(((((

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 03 / June / 2013, 13:07:02 »
So, the only solution is buy a cctv camera and install in the back of lcd and tx the cctv camera... :(((((
Or buy an old camera that supports video out in record mode. Or use PTP http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension live view and USB host device output the video.
Don't forget what the H stands for.