EOS 60D Simple text hacking - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum

EOS 60D Simple text hacking

• 6 Replies
EOS 60D Simple text hacking
« on: 21 / May / 2012, 10:41:47 »
Advertisements
Hi! Im new in this forum, so I would first like to say hello to everyone. I hope you will be able to help me, and myself to give feedback. Im from Spain, so please excuse my poor English.

I have a quite simple question to ask, but I don't know if the answer is that simple. There it goes:

Is there any quick and easy way to simply change a text line inside EOS 60D original firmware?

Let me explain: I need to change the text that says "Full Card" to whatever I want.

As far as I know, it is possible to hack the firmware, so I am pretty sure it would be easy to just change what a text says. My idea is to get into the text lines inside a language in the camera, "re-translate" it for my own purpose, and save it so that inside the camera menu I can see that text.

Did I explain it properly? Anyone knows how to do that? Im quite a noobie, and I don't really know how to get "into" the camera without having to develop/install a whole new firmware.

I hope someone can help. Thanks!

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
Re: EOS 60D Simple text hacking
« Reply #2 on: 22 / May / 2012, 04:43:43 »
Some test code inspired from 400plus:

Code: [Select]
void HijackDialogBox()
{
    struct gui_task * current = gui_task_list.current;
    struct dialog * dialog = current->priv;
    if (dialog && MEM(dialog->type) != DLG_SIGNATURE) return;
    int i;
    for (i = 0; i<255; i++) {
            char s[30];
            snprintf(s, sizeof(s), "%d", i);
            dialog_set_property_str(dialog, i, s);
    }
    dialog_redraw(dialog);
}

« Reply #3 on: 22 / May / 2012, 06:46:39 »
Ok... thanks for your answers guys, but since I'm not a programmer I'm afraid there's nothing I can do by myself.

I thought there might be a way to edit the .fir or something like that, then press CTRL+S (lol, kidding). I will consider learning ARM assembly and all... Maybe in a few years I'll get it! :P

Thanks anyway.

« Reply #4 on: 22 / May / 2012, 15:38:39 »
I'm not sure and never tried, but you could check, whether the string you want to change is somewhere in the camera memory (search for 'memory dump') and then try to change the data in this memory address (using poke in lua script).

I don't know, if it will cause any changes to the displayed data, but it's possible...

You could also do something else - kind of walkaround - instead of changing the text displayed by the camera just try to write your own text over it (on the top). To do so try the lua drawings commands.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: 24 / May / 2012, 09:04:42 »
data segment of the rom is copied to 0x1900, try looking there. maybe it can just be modified in that ram spot
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: 24 / May / 2012, 09:09:08 »
Ok... thanks for your answers guys, but since I'm not a programmer I'm afraid there's nothing I can do by myself.

I thought there might be a way to edit the .fir or something like that, then press CTRL+S (lol, kidding). I will consider learning ARM assembly and all... Maybe in a few years I'll get it! :P

Thanks anyway.
i picked everything up in a year, if you dedicate the time, it doesn't take too long ;)
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr