Possible to change a Japanese version to US version ?? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Possible to change a Japanese version to US version ??

• 6 Replies
Possible to change a Japanese version to US version ??
« on: 24 / January / 2008, 07:56:17 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I have heard that Japanese versions or cameras are real cheap when compared to US versions . Is there any way i could convert the thing from Japanese to English once i buy a Japanese Camera.

If u want me to be specific, I was thinking of buying a Canon S5 IS.( Japanese version )

Here is what i was thinking.

I could change the firmware for my sony ericsson flashing its memory with the w series firmware.. ( compatible version obv )

I was wondering if i could do the same with a camera.I get the firmware( english version ) and flash it over the Japanese thing.Please some one help me save some bucks. I am very much sure that CHDK has something to do with changing the software of the camera and stuff like that and hence i am hoping for some good solutions to my problem. Thanks u all..

Re: Possible to change a Japanese version to US version ??
« Reply #1 on: 24 / January / 2008, 08:04:54 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:08:51 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #2 on: 24 / January / 2008, 10:44:18 »
cheaper workforce :)

Offline kwf

« Reply #3 on: 24 / January / 2008, 11:17:14 »

I was wondering if i could do the same with a camera.I get the firmware( english version ) and flash it over the Japanese thing.Please some one help me save some bucks. I am very much sure that CHDK has something to do with changing the software of the camera and stuff like that and hence i am hoping for some good solutions to my problem. Thanks u all..

I think you don't need to flash another firmware, at least with my Canon cameras it is possible to change the language via menu. 25 languages available. On the a570is easiest reachable with a shortcut "Func.Set" + "Menu", probably because its complicated to reach this menu when you accidentally changed the language.

« Reply #4 on: 24 / January / 2008, 13:45:43 »
i know u would think i am nuts but thats now it is .. japanese stuff is cheaper .. thats how their economy is.. the stuff made in japanese is cheap and the same think with the english version costs a lot more..

anyway thats not the point..

and about the language options... no the Japanese version doesnt have all those language options..

so is there anyway i can change the total software of the camera .. i mean change the software from the jap version to english ??

« Reply #5 on: 24 / January / 2008, 23:25:28 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:09:11 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline Tal360ca

• I have a SD1000, and G5
« Reply #6 on: 24 / February / 2008, 13:36:06 »
With chdk, you don't need a american camera to get al the features. Just .sying:-).