Text editor instead of text reader? Rename files? Edit large numeric parameters? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Text editor instead of text reader? Rename files? Edit large numeric parameters?

• 6 Replies

kaktus

Advertisements
I'd like to be able to modify the scripts in the camera without relying on a computer for that. And also to be able to rename files. And also to be able to modify large numeric parameters by directly inputing the values, instead of increasing/decreasing values  :)
The editing interface might make use of the 4-way navigational buttons, like some GPSs do (see: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GXHCNXMRL._AA280_.jpg for a layout example). Of course, the character list should be context-sensitive (full list of characters for text editing, only numbers for number input, allowable characters for file rename), but I suppose the line-editing routines and interface might be shared between these applications.

kaktus

Thank you for the zoom-increment hint! I'll try it as soon as I reach home (and after I'll give AllBest's fresh release a run :) )

kaktus

The interface I was thinking of it's from the Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. Try this link instead: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.do?pID=414&img=ImageScreen2Large

I think this kind of interface for character selection might be particularly usable (and hopefully not too hard to implement) with a 4-way rocker like our cameras'

Maybe the Set key might be used while in Text Reader for entering the edit mode, when the screen might split to accomodate the character selection interface in the lower part...

Aside from writing the memoirs ( :lol ), a nice application of a text editor would be to make notes regarding the particular conditions of taking some pictures. In this case, a nice add-on would be that, each time you hit a "New document" button, the default name would be last picture's name (of course, with a .TXT extension).

eitan1989

One thing I'd read from people who'd put linux on their iPods was that they used Morse code for text input.  You could do this on the camera using the zoom for the control, perhaps (though I might be worried about wear on the zoom)

Aside from writing the memoirs ( :lol ), a nice application of a text editor would be to make notes regarding the particular conditions of taking some pictures. In this case, a nice add-on would be that, each time you hit a "New document" button, the default name would be last picture's name (of course, with a .TXT extension).

I would prefer if those picture specific texts would be stored directly within the picture (JPG comment, IPTC, Exif).

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
i also thought of that, but for more than 3 characters a 4 way navigation isn't useful.
But think a bit: we hava a large photo sensor in it: so why don't we use it?

look at my other thread on alternative controls, perhaps a "visual keyboard is possible",

don't know when, but I read about such a keyboard in Technonolgy Review(German) or something like that.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
Hej,
Any news about that ?
I think that'd be handy just to have one note somehow linked to a pic, if somebody wants you to send a pic via Email, so you can directly write the Email in the cam. I think the input could just be a simple table you choose through with the up/down, right/left and press ok, like those old games when you had to put your name on your score.