TagMe.lua : mark images by writing your own keyword to EXIF tag - LUA Scripting - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

TagMe.lua : mark images by writing your own keyword to EXIF tag

• 25 Replies
TagMe.lua : mark images by writing your own keyword to EXIF tag
« on: 21 / November / 2009, 18:59:38 »
Advertisements
Hello CHDK friends,

I'd like to publish my TagMe.lua script to the CHDK scripting community.

The script allows a user to select a text from a configurable list of text strings and write this string into the EXIF UserComment tag for a list of images.

I developed TagMe to simplify the extraction of images after download from the camera. Typical usage scenarios are marking shots made for time-lapse movies, series of HDR or panorama shots. When using SD cards with capacities in the range of several GB extracting these series of images out of several thousand can be quite time consuming. With a comment text written by TagMe to the EXIF UserComment tag it is possible to use a software that can search based on EXIF information to filter for images with a specific comment text.

The functions for reading and modifying the EXIF information are in a seperate module EXIF.lua which can be imported and reused in other scripts. An example for how to use the module is given at the end of the user guide.

Enjoy!
stift

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS, CHDK 1.03A

Offline an0n

Re: TagMe.lua : mark images by writing your own keyword to EXIF tag
« Reply #1 on: 21 / November / 2009, 20:05:34 »
Hello stift,
Welcome with your first post, thank you for the script, I will try it.
A720IS.

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #2 on: 21 / November / 2009, 20:32:46 »
Hey stift, this is a very good idea, thank you for sharing your script.

I tried it and it works! This is a very nice addition to CHDK.

The problem I found is: The script wrote the tag "Panorama1" into a bunch of pictures. But then, when I took some others and wanted them to be tagged with "Panorama2" the previous pictures got overwritten with "Panorama2". Is that supposed to happen?

Mi idea was: "Hey, let's take some snaps first" then: "now a panorama!, let's activate the TagMe script with "Panorama1"" and later on: "now I want to make an HDR out of this, lets tag the next pictures with "HDR"".

Anyway, this is going to be useful to automate some kind of sorting using exiftool when copying the pictures to the PC.

Offline an0n

« Reply #3 on: 22 / November / 2009, 19:54:48 »
Hello again stift,
I have tried the script and for me it worked ok, just had to remember to reset after each series to stop that
overwriting. With Canon ImageBrowser (Mac OS equivalent to ZoomBrowser), if "Comment" is ticked in
View menu then a search is not entirely necessary as the image previews are tagged, ie: View>View Settings>Comment>ticked.
This is another useful (and significant) script, thanks again.
« Last Edit: 22 / November / 2009, 23:33:03 by an0n »
A720IS.

« Reply #4 on: 23 / November / 2009, 23:41:34 »
could someone post an image that has an EXIF tag modified by the script? i'm not seeing a result but maybe i'm looking in the wrong place.

but i'm still excited to see this!

Offline an0n

« Reply #5 on: 24 / November / 2009, 02:24:04 »
could someone post an image that has an EXIF tag modified by the script? i'm not seeing a result but maybe i'm looking in the wrong place.

but i'm still excited to see this!

@mattkime
Here is a blank test image, the comment is "Indoors" (without quotes)
A720IS.

« Reply #6 on: 24 / November / 2009, 07:05:15 »
yeah, i don't see the comment on that pic.

what apps are people using to view the comments? I'm a mac user, but i can fire up windows if i need to.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #7 on: 24 / November / 2009, 07:42:34 »
yeah, i don't see the comment on that pic.

what apps are people using to view the comments? I'm a mac user, but i can fire up windows if i need to.
XNView (www.xnview.com) under Windows, there's also a Mac (beta) version...

The "swiss knife" for EXIF meta data is Phil Harvey's EXIFTool, also available as Mac version: homepage

*EDIT:
XNView don't show the UserComment field - use EXIFTool !
« Last Edit: 24 / November / 2009, 07:57:26 by fe50 »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #8 on: 24 / November / 2009, 08:03:52 »
XNView don't show the UserComment field - use EXIFTool !

IrfanView does

wim

Offline an0n

« Reply #9 on: 24 / November / 2009, 08:47:28 »
Hi again mattkime,
If you were using Canon ImageBrowser, I noticed the comment was not shown in "Preview Mode" in
the browser window
, but is shown in "List View", under the image thumbnail, the last line under IMG number,
size, date taken, then (the comment). The image I attached is straight from the camera, but a large file size
one that I downsized with another application had the comment removed.  ???

Edit: Being a Mac user you might have Graphic Converter installed (may need a recent version), if so it also shows the
comment in the Info panel, under "Exif Tool"

Edit 2: Have to retract that bit about Preview mode, after a recheck I see that the comment is shown in the comment box.
« Last Edit: 24 / November / 2009, 09:20:39 by an0n »
A720IS.