Chdk for SX130 IS ? - page 29 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum  

Chdk for SX130 IS ?

• 1095 Replies

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
Re: Chdk for SX130 IS ?
« Reply #280 on: 21 / February / 2011, 19:24:11 »
Advertisements
@elpols - It worked for me too (after a little tinkering)!  I had installed "Microsoft Digital Image" software, and it put in a registry key for .cr2 that I had to remove, but after that, the thumbnails with a .cr2 extension (that were DNG format) show up in windows explorer.  I then associated .cr2 files with Raw Therapee, so when you click one of the now viewable thumbnails, RT fires up and I can edit the RAW image.. EXCELLENT!!!

Camera to Computer to Edit.. Very Nice indeed.

@reyalp - Thanks for the info.. And with regards to ptpcamgui, as always, I'll be looking forward to trying any new features as they are added!  This all a great piece of work and I truly appreciate everything about it.
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

« Reply #281 on: 22 / February / 2011, 02:51:39 »
i've got a question for everyone who uses the camera, whats the highest video quality setting you can use on high def, if i have it set to high the card gets too much data, too fast and stops recording,  if this isnt the place to ask tell me and ill make it its own topic.

« Reply #282 on: 22 / February / 2011, 10:00:23 »
Video Quality means variable bitrate (VBR), it'll vary the bitrate to maintain the same quality throughout the clip. SX130's default is almost constant bitrate (CBR), it actually must be VBR with min and max bitrates very close to average), about 23/25 Mbps at 720p. I've run a lot of tests to determine what Video Quality percentage matches camera's default. It's about 40%. What I did was this. Ten seconds clips using a script. A very complex scene: good lighting, lot of detail (grass and foliage), shaky hands to increase motion, IS disabled, AF and AE locked. First I shot at camera's default, that gave me a 29Mb file. Then shot several clips varying the Video Quality value until I matched the file size. It was at about 40%. Then shot two clips indoors, fixed camera, still objects. Camera's default was 28.4Mb (22.9 Mbps) and at 40% was just 10.3Mb (7271 Kbps), according to MediaInfo. Only your eyes will tell you if both clips got the same quality. Try and see. Now I understand why the camera complained (yellow exclamation mark) even at 60%, HUGE bitrates on complex scenes. I've read that there's no point in increasing bitrate, camera's default is ok, files get BIG and quality barely improves. IMO Video Quality is great to save space. And again, only your eyes will tell.

« Reply #283 on: 22 / February / 2011, 15:22:26 »
Hi!
I need to use scrolling circle (correct name?) in script, how can I check if it's pressed using is_key or is_pressed command? I've nowhere found it, is this only in sx130? Guess not.
« Last Edit: 22 / February / 2011, 15:23:57 by outslider »
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #284 on: 23 / February / 2011, 11:30:02 »
Hey.. what kind of free memory are you guys getting?  I just compiled a version based on the latest build (1067)using Quids latest patch file.  I disabled games, and enabled LUA_CALL_NATIVE and EXMEM_MALLOC, and now when I boot my camera, I get around 1,691,416 free mem.

Everything still seems to work (only took a few shots, enabled RAW, ran badpixel, enabled DNG format.  a few more shots, tested intervalometer script - all ok so far.)  I will try PTPcam and report back.

EDIT - PTPcam still won't take a picture.  It DID take pictures with this camera a few versions ago, but since the "focus" button was added it has stopped. The camera crashes when "lua press (shoot-half)" or "lua press (shoot)" is issued.  BUT it does connect, and I can still issue some commands like zoom through ptpcamgui.
« Last Edit: 23 / February / 2011, 11:40:20 by achillies »

Offline quid

• SX130IS
« Reply #285 on: 23 / February / 2011, 12:44:42 »
I've already tested OPT_EXMEM_MALLOC, you will get corrupted movies and crashes when you try to record a movie. You have also chance to overwrite CHDK's program memory, because it is currently placed in one of a memory blocks, which can be potentially allocated by exmem_alloc.
Any work trying to understand how exmem is working is appreciated, but I suggest to use build from before reply #219.

Regarding PTP - I can take a picture without any problems, using my last build and ptpCamGui started from CHKDShell.

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #286 on: 23 / February / 2011, 13:08:29 »
@quid -  Thanks for your quick response.  I hadn't tested movies yet, but I'm sure you're right!  I did also make a build without OPT_EXMEM_MALLOC, and also without games.  I only get about 10K extra memory using that one, but I don't use the games, so I will just use that build for now.

About PTPcamgui, I figured out that if I issue "mode 1", "mode 0", "mode 1" commands in a row I can take pictures/focus, etc.. Switching from mode 0 to mode 1 seems makes a shutter noise, and after that, all is well.

EDIT - After playing around more, it seems like some my problems with PTPCam are related to the fact that when it starts and connects to the camera, there either is no "mode" set or the camera doesn't know that it is in mode 0.  I was clicking on the playback button initially, which doesn't work unless you have already entered "mode 1" once. As per Quids recommendation in the following post, if I simply click the camera button, it will go into mode 1 (and either take a picture, or be ready to take a picture).  THEN I can switch back to playback mode. 

I am by no means complaining about anything.. just observing and reporting (and understanding).
« Last Edit: 23 / February / 2011, 17:55:25 by achillies »

Offline quid

• SX130IS
« Reply #287 on: 23 / February / 2011, 13:18:06 »
Gui should be working without any manual commands. Just press red button to enter shooting mode, and press it again to take a picture.

Offline Anton

« Reply #288 on: 24 / February / 2011, 03:38:22 »
Small problem:
I use a 8GB SD-Card with two partitions on my SX 130 with newest release of CHDK and autostart -function (#272)
When i start Camera in playback-mode my Camera works for a few seconds (green light on backside of Camera flashes a few times) and then Camera shut down. (Monitor shows nothing at this time. Batteries are full.)
When i start Camera again in the same way then Camera works fine.
Now i need a solution for this problem because i got a problem with my wife because of this... ;-)

« Reply #289 on: 24 / February / 2011, 07:08:43 »
@Anton, I have had the same problem with 8GB card. Starting the camera was not reliable. I even did not say that to my wife, avoiding problems, but I was unhappy. The problem was completely solved with 4GB card. It has NEVER repeated with 4GB card. So, my 8GB card is now waiting for beta or final release and 4GB works fine. Try this, I am also curious if this is a reliable solution for other than my camera. Regards from the Banks of Danube.