Simulate a black cloth/shutter control - Script Writing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Simulate a black cloth/shutter control

• 2 Replies
Simulate a black cloth/shutter control
« on: 07 / December / 2009, 08:21:15 »
Advertisements
Does anyone know if it's possible to control the shutter in such a way to do multiple exposures on one frame?

When I used to use film to shoot fireworks, for instance, I would hold the shutter open and have a black cloth over the lens. When I wanted to capture something, I would remove the cloth for a few seconds and then recover the lens, waiting for the next event.

Hope that makes sense...

I suppose I could use the MD script and then combine photos in Photoshop or something, but I am just wondering if it's possible to do programmatically with a remote, for instance.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Simulate a black cloth/shutter control
« Reply #1 on: 07 / December / 2009, 13:03:05 »
Combining shots will give you better results because very long exposures from these tiny sensors tend to be horribly noisy.

CHDK currently does not allow you to control the shutter in this manner, but it is possible and it has been demonstrated at least on the s5is. There's probably a ticket in the bugtracker feature requests for this already.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Simulate a black cloth/shutter control
« Reply #2 on: 07 / December / 2009, 14:27:57 »
Combining multiple images can also be done in the camera, with the help of a little script, read more here: CHDK File browser / RAW merge.
But doing this in the camera is very slow...
...by the way: welcome to the CHDK forum  :)