SX30 IS Release - available on the autobuild server - page 28 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

SX30 IS Release - available on the autobuild server

• 282 Replies
Re: SX30 IS Release - available on the autobuild server
« Reply #270 on: 21 / January / 2012, 18:27:04 »
Advertisements
Looks like that fixed the problem for the most part, although my script only made it to zoom level 199 the first time I ran it (198 wrote fine, and the script reported stepping to 199, but never wrote the log entry). It didn't crash the camera (or script) though. I was able to exit the script w/ shutter-press. The second time I ran it, it made it all the way through.

I posted the updated script on GoogleDocs  here.

You can see the hyperfocal distance and infinity values plotted graphically and in tabular form here (one tab for each test table and plot).

I plotted the values logarithmically because it shows the gaps nicely where infinity was equal to -1 (according to the camera). These values did not occur in the same place in both tests.

The hyperfocal distance (value reported by the camera for a given zoom level) also changed between the two runs. That surprised me because I thought it was hard-coded in the firmware. I thought that the reason the hyperfocal distance doesn't get set to exactly what the camera reports is the hyperfocal distance (or get set to the same value twice) is because of an issue with precision, but now I am wondering if the hyperfocal distance value is regularly changing (though I didn't see that in early script testing).

Let me know if I can do more tests (SX30 100P fw running r1593 compiled w CHDK shell)

Andy
« Last Edit: 21 / January / 2012, 18:28:47 by andyroo »
A720 1.00c | D10 1.00b |SX220 1.01a | SX230 ? | SX30 1.00p CHDK ver. 1.1.0-r1727

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #271 on: 21 / January / 2012, 18:31:53 »
Looks like that fixed the problem for the most part, although my script only made it to zoom level 199 the first time I ran it (198 wrote fine, and the script reported stepping to 199, but never wrote the log entry). It didn't crash the camera (or script) though. I was able to exit the script w/ shutter-press. The second time I ran it, it made it all the way through.

I posted the updated script on GoogleDocs  here.

You can see the hyperfocal distance and infinity values plotted graphically and in tabular form here (one tab for each test table and plot).

I plotted the values logarithmically because it shows the gaps nicely where infinity was equal to -1 (according to the camera). These values did not occur in the same place in both tests.

The hyperfocal distance (value reported by the camera for a given zoom level) also changed between the two runs. That surprised me because I thought it was hard-coded in the firmware. I thought that the reason the hyperfocal distance doesn't get set to exactly what the camera reports is the hyperfocal distance (or get set to the same value twice) is because of an issue with precision, but now I am wondering if the hyperfocal distance value is regularly changing (though I didn't see that in early script testing).

Let me know if I can do more tests (SX30 100P fw running r1593 compiled w CHDK shell)

Andy

I found you need a longer delay between set_focus and get_focus for the value to 'settle' - I just used 1 second in my testing, you may need to experiment with it.

I suspect that the occasional difference in the reported value has something to do with the accuracy of the stepper motor positioning. The G12 (which has far fewer steps) is consistent in the values it reports.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #272 on: 01 / February / 2012, 06:45:12 »
I'm on H fw and H chdk, alls fine, would i see any improvements in the camera upgrading to latest fw and chdk or as its not broke dont fix it...

Thanks guys, without your work timelapse would be sitting with a mug of cocoa a stopwatch and freezing my nuts off....

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #273 on: 01 / February / 2012, 06:54:47 »
...would i see any improvements in the camera upgrading to latest fw and chdk
No.
Upgrading to a higher fw version is not possible as long as Canon doesn't publish a firmware update.
There's no functional difference between the CHDK fw builds for the same camera model.

« Reply #274 on: 01 / February / 2012, 08:53:23 »
There's no functional difference between the CHDK fw builds for the same camera model.

Thanks....

« Reply #276 on: 06 / September / 2012, 20:35:10 »
I noticed that trunk1727 broke the function get_hyp_dist() in my scripts. I get an error, "attempt to call global "get_hyp_dist", a nil value" or something like that.

I was wondering if there's something that changed as far as me having to declare a variable or the like. This affects the script I was using to test zoom levels as well as my timelapse script. I posted a link to the zoom test script earlier, but it's here.

It works in trunk1718.

Also curious what is on the most power-saving way to turn of the display scriptomatically is for the SX30. I can't figure out how to shut it off completely since all of the display options just toggle between tiny and big viewfinder.

Andy
A720 1.00c | D10 1.00b |SX220 1.01a | SX230 ? | SX30 1.00p CHDK ver. 1.1.0-r1727

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #277 on: 06 / September / 2012, 21:19:04 »
I noticed that trunk1727 broke the function get_hyp_dist() in my scripts. I get an error, "attempt to call global "get_hyp_dist", a nil value" or something like that.

I was wondering if there's something that changed as far as me having to declare a variable or the like.
See the "Depth of field" section here.
Also curious what is on the most power-saving way to turn of the display scriptomatically is for the SX30. I can't figure out how to shut it off completely since all of the display options just toggle between tiny and big viewfinder.
If you can set the shortcut button to make the camera "sleep", you could use keypresses (there may be a smarter way to achieve this).

« Reply #278 on: 07 / September / 2012, 13:41:14 »
See the "Depth of field" section here.

I don't understand. There is no notation of anything changing, and the syntax looks the same as in my script.

Again, both scripts work in Trunk version 1718 and are broken in 1727 for the SX30. Please provide more info if there is something valuable for me to extract from the Depth of field section, but thank you for your reply :)

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #279 on: 07 / September / 2012, 14:06:49 »
I don't understand. There is no notation of anything changing, and the syntax looks the same as in my script.
Sorry, I thought it was clear :)
Currently there's only one depth-of-field related function for Lua, it's called get_dofinfo(). The others are for ubasic only. The cross reference page correctly indicates this.