S3 better low-light focus than S1? - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

S3 better low-light focus than S1?

• 7 Replies
S3 better low-light focus than S1?
« on: 24 / January / 2008, 22:53:07 »
Advertisements
I own an S20 and an S1IS, neither of which is supported by CHDK  :(

I am seriously considering buying an S3 specifically so I can play with CHDK, but I'd want to know if the S3 is also a worthwhile improvement over my S1.  The two MAJOR problems I've had with my S3 are very poor focusing in low light, and a long delay between the time that I click the shutter until the actual exposure, making me miss the look or expression on my subject's face.

Anyone happen to know if the S3 is improved in either of these areas over the S1?

Re: S3 better low-light focus than S1?
« Reply #1 on: 25 / January / 2008, 01:07:12 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:05:13 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline Pauls9

• S3 IS
« Reply #2 on: 25 / January / 2008, 05:10:03 »
Learn to use manual focus set to a hyperfocal distance.
Excellent comment, Barney. Microfunguy's Stereodatamaker build has a built-in function to set the focus to the hyperfocal distance. AFAIK the more general releases don't (please correct me if I'm wrong). Should we ask for that function to be included?

« Reply #3 on: 25 / January / 2008, 06:46:35 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:05:34 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #4 on: 25 / January / 2008, 11:00:40 »
Thanks Barney!  I have to admit I've become lazy in the digital era.  I used to know this stuff when I used a 35MM!  I'll try the shoot-only mode and see if I've been sloppy with holding the camera still.  I never thought about the interaction between the IS features and the focus, but you make a strong argument for me to pay more attention!

Now, if I go home and learn the S1 is better than I thought, can I still justify the S3 upgrade?

« Reply #5 on: 25 / January / 2008, 14:24:35 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:05:54 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #6 on: 25 / January / 2008, 21:40:52 »
Well I pulled the trigger (or is that clicked the shutter) on the S3 purchase.  Found a store model in an officemax for $223.00.

Now I can say firsthand that the S3 is substantially better in low-light than the S1.  The S3 sends out a neat green pattern that helps it focus in low light.  Plus, the autofocus is roughly 4 times faster than the S1 in similar lighting situations.

Even without CHDK, I'm already pleased with the purchase.

Now I have to buy a new card reader because my old SD compatible one won't work with my new SDHC card.  It's ALWAYS SOMETHING, ain't it?  :'(

« Reply #7 on: 25 / January / 2008, 23:48:30 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:06:24 by Barney Fife »