Create folders w\ today's date & append time to saved file name - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Create folders w\ today's date & append time to saved file name

• 3 Replies
Advertisements
Hi all!

New here and loving CHDK. I'm a bit obsessive, so CHDK is nearly all I've thought about since I learned of it. In fact I've bought two cameras now just to use with CHKD; an A570IS and a S3IS. Both work beautifully. Anyway, on to one of my feature requests.

CHDK could help organize photos right on the SD card. To do so, when saving a file, CHDK would create a folder with today's date i.e. 4-13-08 and store all images shot that day, in that folder with the time (military) of the shot appended, i.e. IMG_0252_0844.CRW.

(In linux my cam is mounted as a regular file system so it's simple to transfer an entire file tree to my hard drive. Or even "sync" my Photo directory with the SD card.)

Hope that thought was clear! And I have no idea how easy or hard this may be to implement but I just thought I'd throw it out there as an idea. Thanks all you CHDK developers and testers!  :D

-ry

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Create folders w\ today's date & append time to saved file name
« Reply #1 on: 13 / April / 2008, 10:01:33 »
It's probably for the best to do it on your computer (for example exiftool can do that for you from the date in your jpeg exif tags), because cameras tend to be picky about file names and folders they can display in play mode.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
CHDK Developer.

Re: Create folders w\ today's date & append time to saved file name
« Reply #3 on: 13 / April / 2008, 10:43:19 »
So GrAnd, in the "custom naming" thread you wrote;

"But with a custom name you won't be able to copy that files without cardreader or even to view them in the camera."

What about automatically creating a folder named "today's date", or even the hour, and saving images there? I would assume one would still lose the ability to view images in-camera due to the fact that there is no facility to browse folders in playback mode.

-ry