Pretty basic questions - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Pretty basic questions

• 1 Replies
Pretty basic questions
« on: 22 / April / 2010, 19:09:43 »
Advertisements
Hi Everyone!

I'm still pretty new around here; new to RAW as well (after 6 months of learning JPEG digital); and, not a programmer. My questions may best be answered elsewhere. If so, your guidance and direction will be most appreciated. I have a DIGIC IV model camera (SX120) that is still in beta, but I'm trying to figure out really basic things that are included as well in the SX110 autobuild that is on my card. I am on Windows XP SP3 environment and have access to the Canon processing software; Lightroom 2, and PhotoShop CS4 Extended. Thanks to fe50, I have the Users Guide Manual that I am studying so things are beginning to make some sense.

Basic questions are:

1. What is the best file format for me to save the RAW files in?

2. Does DNG record all the RAW info?

3. Can the various scripts (I only know the basic concept that they carry out the instructions you write) be used without further action on my part or do I have to do something extra?

4. At what point should I turn of the camera based on the temperature readings?

5. I should have formatted and loaded CHDK onto my 4GB card instead of my 128MB card (I have a Kodak P&S, too), but since I did, is there a way to reformat the small card for use in my Kodak in order to use the larger card in the Canon -- or would it be best to just buy another 4GB card for the Canon?

6. What RAW file prefix should I select -- if any?

7. What is "under/overexposure threshold" and the "0-32 values" about?

8. What is "overexposure value (no flash)"?

9. What is the "OSD codepage"?

10. When are you helped by using "RAW Sum" and "RAW merge"?

I sure hope these questions aren't out of place on a programmers' site, but I need the answers to be a good user -- and advocate -- of CHDK.  ???

Thanks so VERY MUCH!

Offline reyalp

Re: Pretty basic questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 / April / 2010, 00:41:17 »
1. What is the best file format for me to save the RAW files in?
The one that works best with your workflow. In general, I'd suggest DNG because it is standardized and widely supported, while CHDK raw (called CRW but not actually in CRW format) is non-standard. However DNG takes a bit longer to capture, and the quality of the color calibration varies. Not that because DNG is a raw format, you can always adjust the color after the fact, so the color calibration really only affects how programs will display the image by default. You get exactly the same data no matter what.
2. Does DNG record all the RAW info?
Yes, with the very minor exception that bad pixels are interpolated over.

3. Can the various scripts (I only know the basic concept that they carry out the instructions you write) be used without further action on my part or do I have to do something extra?
Not clear what you mean here. A script can be written such that it runs until stopped.
4. At what point should I turn of the camera based on the temperature readings?
I suspect that the camera itself does that, but I may be wrong. You can always figure out how hot it gets under heavy use and then pick some arbitrary amount over that.
5. I should have formatted and loaded CHDK onto my 4GB card instead of my 128MB card (I have a Kodak P&S, too), but since I did, is there a way to reformat the small card for use in my Kodak in order to use the larger card in the Canon -- or would it be best to just buy another 4GB card for the Canon?
SD cards are cheap, so that's the obvious route. Most cameras have in format option, which will completely erase CHDK. Chances are that having CHDK on your card would not interfere with the Kodak anyway, and it only takes a small amount of space. The only thing you have to remember to do is unlock the card.
6. What RAW file prefix should I select -- if any?
This only matters if you want to transfer raw files over USB, rather than using a card reader. If you want to do this, try them until you find one that works ;) Note that you also have to choose the correct extension to go with that prefix.
Don't forget what the H stands for.