SD990 - page 7 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

SD990

• 206 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: SD990
« Reply #60 on: 26 / March / 2009, 02:22:47 »
Advertisements
Ok thanks! I'll try that. So I need ps.fi2 on both partitions... do I need diskboot.bin on both partitions or only the small one?
right, diskboot is only needed on a partition that you are autobooting from. diskboot.bin and ps.fi2 are basically two copies of the CHDK program, just encoded and named differently so the camera will see them as either a bootable image or a firmware upgrade program.

Wait... so I didn't need to split my card if I don't want to boot immediately from CHDK?
Right, if you use the manual load, you don't need a fat16 partition.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Awol

« Reply #61 on: 26 / March / 2009, 02:26:40 »
Ah, I understand now. Thanks very much! Sorry for being such a n00b and also for derailing this thread a bit.

EDIT: I successfully swapped partitions and loaded ps.fi2 onto the large partition. Now when I put the card in the camera, I am able to load CHDK as a firmware upgrade from the large partition. However, it won't let me swap back to the small bootable partition now. Am I doing something wrong, or is this not working properly in the beta yet?
« Last Edit: 26 / March / 2009, 02:43:53 by Awol »

« Reply #62 on: 26 / March / 2009, 05:37:23 »
I have installed ixus980_sd990-100e-0.9.7.zip.
I found that the auto iso cause incorrect explosure.
The shutter speed looks like follow the old ISO value.
Also, In Scene mode 'ISO3200', auto iso also cannot override the ISO value.
 :o :o :o
ISO3200 is a very special mode which has extremely short shutter lag mode and we can take photo at high speed 4fps.
It would be very useful if auto iso can apply to it correctly.

« Reply #63 on: 26 / March / 2009, 10:06:28 »
@reyalp:
Thanks for working on the port! Already works nicely on my IXUS980IS. And I can't wait to see the remaining issues addressed.
@all:
I used openSUSE BuildService to create versions of dcraw, ufraw and dng4ps2 compiled for various Linux distributions with support for IXUS980IS/SD990. Please have a look at
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/garloff:/Photography/
(Easiest way to install from there is to subscribe to the repository, BTW, otherwise you have to do dependency resolution yourself ...)
dcraw, ufraw and dng4ps2 all process the CHDK produced .crw files just fine. I hacked 12bit support into dng4ps2 and put ewavr's matrix in there and that works as well.
I tested on openSUSE 11.1 only -- I'm happy to accept patches or .dsc files (in case someone wants the package to build for Debian or derivatives).
openSUSE, Canon IXUS 980 IS

« Reply #64 on: 26 / March / 2009, 11:25:25 »
@garloff
Excuse me. Are you sure the port really has no problem run on your 980IS? Even the auto ISO?
@all
Since I have Photoshop CS4, I can just open the 980IS dng directly without doing any conversion.
Just take out the .dng and open in CS4. My friend has CS3 also has no problem to open 980IS dng.

« Reply #65 on: 26 / March / 2009, 11:55:59 »
@garloff
Excuse me. Are you sure the port really has no problem run on your 980IS? Even the auto ISO?
I have set AutoISO to max 640 (and to max 1000 with HiISO) in CHDK and I did not notice any exposure issues. I have not tried 3200. Maybe iContrast hides this though.

And no: I did not say that 0.9.7 is perfect yet. I only use a fraction of the functionality and that's pretty useful to me already. (AutoISO, RAW being the two most important ones, along with some extra information in the OSD.)

@all
Since I have Photoshop CS4, I can just open the 980IS dng directly without doing any conversion.
Just take out the .dng and open in CS4. My friend has CS3 also has no problem to open 980IS dng.
There's no CS4 on Linux ... But most tools (including Bibble, dcraw, ufraw, ...) do process DNG just fine these days, so that's the easier way. Colors are slightly different when I compare the conversion from .CRW and the one from .DNG, but I can't say better or worse and you can adjust anyway.

« Reply #66 on: 26 / March / 2009, 12:17:07 »
@reyalp:
One little bug in the .dng files: The crop factor for this camera is 4.6 (as correctly recorded in the .jpg by the camera firmware), not 6.1 as CHDK seems to think. (The camera has a 1/1.7" sensor, not 1/2.3" like many of the compact cameras -- that's a primary reason why this one performs better than most others.)

Offline ddd

« Reply #67 on: 26 / March / 2009, 18:46:17 »
My cameras just arrived and I must say the 15 MP is surreal. I took a shot of the view out my window and in Photoshop you can zoom in to see detail such as far away tree branches against the sky that you otherwise can not see at normal view...remarkable for such a small camera...Have yet to play around with remote shuttering through chdk.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #68 on: 26 / March / 2009, 19:40:21 »
Awol: You should be able to swap back, I've done this on my camera ???

mikemikemike:
Are you trying to use CHDK autoiso or canon autoiso ? What mode are you shooting in. If you can give me step-by-step instructions to reproduce the problem, it's much more likely I'll be able to fix it.
For the shutter speed, the current build also has an issue where if you press the shutter quickly, the shutter override is ignored.

The "3200 ISO" is special (I think it uses binning internally), and relatively new for CHDK supported cams, so I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks things.

garloff:
Thanks. I just guessed the active area for DNG by looking at the raw data. I'll look into that. oops, I totally misunderstood that.

« Last Edit: 26 / March / 2009, 20:11:13 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #69 on: 26 / March / 2009, 19:51:22 »