Work around for SDHC cards? and trying to get SD990 to boot... - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Work around for SDHC cards? and trying to get SD990 to boot...

• 3 Replies
Advertisements

I have spent all day messin with my new sd990, I had got it with the intent of having a smaller camera than my Sony Alpha for doin RAW photos, its not very pocketable.....

BUT...

I am discovering that the larger cards like my 32gb SDHC isnt bootable.  Am I understanding this correctly?

Also, I am finding that because the SD990 doesnt have a native "viewing mode", when you turn the camera on and it goes into , you click a button to enter it.  To enter the menu mode so you can do the firmware update you have to wait till the lens closes...so at least a minute before you can do the update.  Has anyone else found this, or am I just not doing it properly?

I may return the camera at his point if I cant get it to boot into RAW mode, and suck it up till the next batch of S90's come out with a larger MP count.  I'll try to get my old sd400 to shoot raw...if I can figure it out.....

Cheers!
Alan

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Work around for SDHC cards? and trying to get SD990 to boot...
« Reply #1 on: 11 / June / 2010, 06:38:09 »
Hello & welcome, Alan !

I am discovering that the larger cards like my 32gb SDHC isnt bootable.  Am I understanding this correctly?
No.
The automatic CHDK starting mechanism (with a CHDK-bootable and locked card) only work with FAT16 file systems,
so you can use cards up to 4 GB capacity directly.
To use the autostart on cards > 4GB, you have to prepare the card (multi partition setup).
On MS Windows you may also need swapping the cards partitions to see the data partitions, e.g. with the SDM installer...

Read more here:
* http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2468.msg30911.html#msg30911
* http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2468.msg36022.html#msg36022
* http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3910.msg36763.html#msg36763

Powering on with the CHDK autostart, the camera will always start in playback mode;
press / half-press the shutter once to switch to record mode.
To start the SD990 directly into record mode (with lens extraction), hold the ON/OFF button for ~1 second.

--> Manual loading (with "Firmware Update" from the Canon menu) CHDK works directly with ALL cards & capacities supported by the camera.

...To enter the menu mode so you can do the firmware update you have to wait till the lens closes...so at least a minute before you can do the update.
There's no need to wait until the lens retracts (=power saving mode) - just start the camera in playback mode [>], then you'll see the "Firmware Update" menu item; this item is only visible in playback mode, with lens retracted.
« Last Edit: 11 / June / 2010, 06:43:02 by fe50 »

« Reply #2 on: 14 / June / 2010, 01:05:54 »
fe50,

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, I really appreciate it.  I'll look over the links tonight.

I've attached a photo of the back of the SD990, as you see there is no way to turn the camera on with the review mode, its selectable once the camera is on, and in any of the modes (manual, auto, video etc).

Cheers
Alan

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 14 / June / 2010, 01:12:29 »
The button with the blue [>] turns the camera on in playback (review) mode.
Don't forget what the H stands for.