rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering - page 9 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering

• 207 Replies

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
Re: rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering
« Reply #80 on: 23 / September / 2018, 02:40:58 »
Advertisements
I was just wondering why there was this exposure difference from first shot, and if you use a standard frame that would probably increase.

I have no use for adittions, keep it as is.
but like you wrote, when you start at night it might take a few shots before the script has settled.
« Last Edit: 23 / September / 2018, 03:16:48 by Mlapse »
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #81 on: 23 / September / 2018, 05:31:09 »
I was just wondering why there was this exposure difference from first shot, and if you use a standard frame that would probably increase.
This happens, for example, when starting the script in AV mode at night. The longest exposure time is then through the Canon firmware 1s. If the longest exposure time in the script is 4s, then it takes just a while increase to 4s. You can work around this by starting the script in M with 4s.

Greater differences after the first shots are also there when the over and underexposure controls take care.
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #82 on: 23 / September / 2018, 05:49:03 »
Greater differences after the first shots are also there when the over and underexposure controls take care.

And that is probably what i noticed, my first shot at night was seriously overexposed (according to the log iso400/1sec/f3 and that can't be correct), consecutive shots were timed 1.3sec (same iso/f) and higher, but were not overexposed and still very crisp.
« Last Edit: 23 / September / 2018, 05:51:18 by Mlapse »

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #83 on: 05 / January / 2019, 06:11:41 »
I'm making outdoor shoots and ran into this snag with the script that my limited knowledge can't solve.

If i start (daytime) I usually first have a series that start darker, gets lighter and drops after 5-10 shots to a stable result. If i did a test shoot before the 10th frame is then close to the same exposed picture as where the previous series ended. My interval times are mostly between 10 seconds and 1 minuut.

For a standalone project this is no problem, i just throw away the first few pictures.
However, could I create settings in rawopint that mimic the canon firmware as close as possible?

The reason I ask is because I sometimes want to exchange the sd card mid-shoot or have to restart for some reason and i try to avoid losing 5-10 minutes if possible.
I have been using Ultimate intervalometer like that and, because it relies on the canon firmware there is no real difference in exposure between 2 series.

And although i'm very pleased with that script I've been testing rawopint mainly because of the capability to define max and min exposure.
It gives me the possibility to get better night shots with less noise from small sensor camara's that cap off at 1 second in canon's firmware and to block long exposures (30 sec) on the M10.

I have been trying to minimize the lighting differences by changing ND_value_apex96, BV/EVshift% BV/EV shift base and meter height and wide without getting the effect I was looking for...namely a picture that start with almost the same settings as the last one of the previous series.

Or am I chasing an impossible thing here, because the whole metering concept is different? 
« Last Edit: 05 / January / 2019, 06:35:51 by Mlapse »

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #84 on: 05 / January / 2019, 07:23:55 »
If i start (daytime) I usually first have a series that start darker, gets lighter and drops after 5-10 shots to a stable result. If i did a test shoot before the 10th frame is then close to the same exposed picture as where the previous series ended. My interval times are mostly between 10 seconds and 1 minuut.
You should post a log file that make it easier to understand what’s going on…
In normal cases I never have this problem. In the following cases I had the situation:
1) I used spot measuring in AV mode but script used the whole scene (90%) for metering.
2) If I take pictures against the sun and then overexposure control in the script reduces exposure.
On witch mode you are running and which exposure method you are using?
What about underexposure control?  In my case is always disabled…
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #85 on: 05 / January / 2019, 09:21:08 »
I have the cam in P setting so i can fix color tone/iso and a few other things
1)I use center weiged average
2)Testing only with the sun (or without at night)

I have not changed underexposure control, as soon as it gets dark enough I hit the iso/max exposure limit and images are getting underexposed. that is what i am looking for.
oh, i renamed the csv file to doc, because i got a flag stating i could not upload a log.
sorry, most logs of the past days were already gone, but i can make a new one if this one is not helpful.
I only have a lot of UI logs from a project i'm running.
night restart frame 8-9: from 0.6 to 1/3..if i would have let it run, it would have settled at the same 0.6 after some frames, but that setting didn't do it. so i stopped it after 2 frames. (last is with my hand in front of lens)
the other breaks have more time inbetween, so might be influenced a bit by changing light.

i have attached a new log now, so i can show what i mean properly. I stop the script by pressing the shutter(the only way on the m10), so that's why there are missing images in the log
« Last Edit: 05 / January / 2019, 10:10:49 by Mlapse »

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #86 on: 05 / January / 2019, 11:19:08 »
I understand your problem. The fist picture is around 1EV underexposed. Meter96 starts with -96 (-EV). A neutral picture should have around 0.
Have you tried to start the script in M Mode? Default Script setting?
The same thing happens on your other cams?

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #87 on: 05 / January / 2019, 12:46:40 »
most my camera's are limited to auto or P..only the s95 has an M setting, the m10 has no M setting, but a seperate Tv and Av function.

default script setting on all models i have results in this behaviour, camera's with smaller sensors have it a bit worse though
that subsides once the camera is running a while.
if you want i can run the same thing again with default settings on an a490 tomorrow.

the only constant in my tries might have been the fixed iso
« Last Edit: 05 / January / 2019, 12:52:54 by Mlapse »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #88 on: 05 / January / 2019, 12:56:41 »
the m10 has no M setting, but a seperate Tv and Av function.
Mine does, it's on the same (menu) page as Av and Tv. Check again.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #89 on: 05 / January / 2019, 13:40:36 »
you're right, sorry, looked over that. will test the same set tomorrow in M