remote-capture, SD1100 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

remote-capture, SD1100

• 6 Replies

Offline qtmlr

remote-capture, SD1100
« on: 05 / August / 2012, 14:13:40 »
Advertisements
Hi,

i just bought two Canon SD1100 IS on ebay that i like to use for a book scanner.  For this i want to remote-control both cameras and also download images from them.

Sadly, the Canon firmware is too new and i can't use gphoto2 to capture images by USB.
gphoto2 --auto-detect --set-config capture=1  does not work, gives an error.

I wonder what ways are there to capture images and download them (maybe in conjunction with gphoto2)?

Can i enable remote-capture by USB command / gphoto2 with CHDK somehow?

I think it is possible to use two USB lines for remote capture, but can i then also download the photos over USB?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.

Offline reyalp

Re: remote-capture, SD1100
« Reply #1 on: 05 / August / 2012, 14:43:30 »
You can use the CHDK PTP extension to control the cameras over USB, and download images: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension

As explained on that page, you need CHDK specific client to use this. The two existing client programs are a modified version of ptpcam and chdkptp.

Controlling two cameras at once creates some additional complications, but it is possible. You have two options:
1) Run two instances of the client program. This should work, but you have to be careful because some commands might reset the connection to the other camera. This could be done with either ptpcam or chdkptp client.
2) Control both cameras using a single instance of the chdkptp client. chdkptp supports connecting to multiple cameras in it's Lua API, but the normal CLI and GUI only support one camera at a time. This means you'd need to use Lua code to control the cameras.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline qtmlr

« Reply #2 on: 06 / August / 2012, 16:57:13 »
Thanks a lot for that information.

I'm not sure if i understood everything correctly, let me describe what i did:

I installed the latest CHDK that fits for my SD1100 on the camera and started it.  Then i attached the camera to the PC.

I also downloaded the sources for ptpcam and installed them, as described here:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6231.45

I use Linux as OS, not Windows.

I'm not exactly sure about PTP_Extension, i did not install anything additional on the camera, is that ok?
The PTP_Extension is in the CHDK already, is that correct?

I tried to connect to my camera but failed:
 ./ptpcam --bus=1 --dev=6 -i

Camera information
==================
Failed to connect (attempt 1), retrying in 1 s...
Failed to connect (attempt 2), retrying in 1 s...
Failed to connect (attempt 3), retrying in 1 s...
Failed to connect (attempt 4), retrying in 1 s...
^CGot SIGINT, trying to clean up and close...

./ptpcam -l

Listing devices...
bus/dev vendorID/prodID device model
ERROR: Could not open session!
Try to reset the camera.

I'm not sure if i missed something, do i need to add something special on the camera itself?

Best regards,
Torsten.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 06 / August / 2012, 23:05:22 »
I use Linux as OS, not Windows.
That's OK, but not all distros behave the same way.
I also downloaded the sources for ptpcam and installed them, as described here:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6231.45
Since I'm the author of chdkptp, I don't use ptpcam very much.
I'm not exactly sure about PTP_Extension, i did not install anything additional on the camera, is that ok?
The PTP_Extension is in the CHDK already, is that correct?
Yes. As long as you are using a recent build from http://mighty-hoernsche.de/ you should be fine.
./ptpcam --bus=1 --dev=6 -i
Camera information
==================
Failed to connect (attempt 1), retrying in 1 s...
This could be caused by some other application in your distro automatically grabbing the camera, or by permissions preventing you from accessing it.

Offline qtmlr

« Reply #4 on: 07 / August / 2012, 14:23:24 »
Hello,

forgot to write it, but i run the commands as root to prevent any access rights problems.

I don't think the camera is taken by any other program, when i connect it a window pops up and asks what i want to do (i cancel that).
Also, i do tail -f /var/log/messages and see only:
Aug  7 20:07:07 schleim kernel: [ 3916.517469] usb 1-1.5: new high speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
Aug  7 20:07:07 schleim kernel: [ 3916.607009] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=04a9, idProduct=3184
Aug  7 20:07:07 schleim kernel: [ 3916.607015] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Aug  7 20:07:07 schleim kernel: [ 3916.607019] usb 1-1.5: Product: Canon Digital Camera
Aug  7 20:07:07 schleim kernel: [ 3916.607022] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.
Aug  7 20:07:07 schleim kernel: [ 3916.607025] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 06FD6A918E2D4C56AA36828C6F3A26CB
Aug  7 20:07:10 schleim kernel: [ 3919.216614] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN Event TRB for slot 1 ep 0 with no TDs queued?

I'd like to use chdkptp but it does not compile using the description on the page that lets me compile ptpcam.  Not in standard with no changes and not with copying the ptp.h.

Running a compiled binary does not work:
./chdkptp: error while loading shared libraries: libiuplua51.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have lua 5.1 installed on my system, but no libiuplua51 and it does not seem to be available.

Do you have any more hints?  Would you be interested in the error log of compiling chdkptp?

Best regards,
Torsten.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 07 / August / 2012, 17:43:35 »
I'd like to use chdkptp but it does not compile using the description on the page that lets me compile ptpcam.  Not in standard with no changes and not with copying the ptp.h.
I'm not really sure what you did without knowing exactly which instructions you were following. The older posts in the thread are no longer accurate. In the current chdkptp svn, no copying should be required. You do have to edit the config.mk files, which should be described in the readme and comments.

Running a compiled binary does not work:
./chdkptp: error while loading shared libraries: libiuplua51.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have lua 5.1 installed on my system, but no libiuplua51 and it does not seem to be available.
You need to download pre-compiled IUP and CD libraries (there are links in the README) or build them yourself. I'd use the pre-compiled ones if they are available for your distro. Description of building can be found here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6231.msg88342#msg88342 (for raspberry pi, other distros should be similar, but probably easier...)

Do you have any more hints?  Would you be interested in the error log of compiling chdkptp?
Sure. Preferably, just the first/most relevant error ;)

What linux distro and version are you using ?

Offline qtmlr

« Reply #6 on: 08 / August / 2012, 13:36:36 »
Thank you very much, i downloaded the chdkptp from the link you provided and compiled it, now i can connect to my SD1100.
I have not compiled the GUI, command line is fine for me.

I use OpenSuse 12.1.

Now i'll get some experience with Lua scripting the camera.

Thanks a lot,
Torsten.