Can I use this for a usb remote cable? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Can I use this for a usb remote cable?

• 11 Replies
Can I use this for a usb remote cable?
« on: 17 / March / 2012, 08:16:29 »
Advertisements
Can I buy the Wired Remote Shutter Release for Nikon D90/D5000 instead of the Ricoh CA-1 as a remote trigger (because it's so much cheaper)?

Why I thought it might work: I see that the Nikon D90 has a mini-USB connection like my Canon IXUS 970 IS, so I'm guessing that a remote shutter release for the D90, will have the same componants as the Ricoh CA-1. Am I wrong? (please assume I'm clueless about cameras, cables and CHDK. because I really am   :blink:)

Re: Can I use this for a usb remote cable?
« Reply #1 on: 17 / March / 2012, 08:58:53 »
I don't think so.   That's not a miniUSB plug on that cable from what I can tell.  And the unit does not include a battery so it can't actually power the USB line as required for the CHDK USB remote hack.

Here's some more info : http://www.instructables.com/id/Nikon-D90-MC-DC2-Remote-Shutter-Hack/

Having said that,  it would be fairly easy to rebuild to make it CHDK compatible and a whole lot nicer looking than many of the USB remote hacks out there today.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 17 / March / 2012, 09:44:19 »
Does this help me? I see it has a battery. Not clear about the connector though.

(since I haven't even grasped CHDK yet, I want to buy something cheap that doesn't need hacking)

« Reply #3 on: 17 / March / 2012, 12:00:01 »
Does this help me? I see it has a battery. Not clear about the connector though.

(since I haven't even grasped CHDK yet, I want to buy something cheap that doesn't need hacking)
Its still not a USB connector.  And the battery is to power the IR remote part (some Canon DSLR's can be triggered with an IR remote).

Did you try contacting this guy ?  It appears he has a $20 option - shipping included.

« Reply #4 on: 17 / March / 2012, 12:20:18 »
which guy?

« Reply #5 on: 17 / March / 2012, 12:23:41 »
(I'm starting to be confused: the Canon IXUS 970 IS doesn't have a IR remote part. also it isn't a DSLR)

« Reply #6 on: 17 / March / 2012, 12:31:59 »
the Canon IXUS 970 IS doesn't have a IR remote part. also it isn't a DSLR
Correct.  I was referring to the device you posted a link for - its a battery powered device designed to work with the special socket on the side of Canon DSLR's or with the IR remote receiver built into Canon DSLR's.  Neither of which your camera has.

which guy?
Sorry - I though I pasted the link into the message but must have fumble fingered it.  Try this :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/sets/72157624151791739/

Various SDM / CHDK Remotes with External Port

Offline uphid

« Reply #7 on: 18 / March / 2012, 20:36:34 »
@mirileh:

The Nikon's use their own proprietary connector for the remote release.  Here are your options:

1.  Use an ML-L3 (or clone) wireless IR remote.

2.  Buy a proprietary remote (or pigtail).  For reference, the D80's cable looks almost identical, but is different from that of the D90 / D5000 (those two use the same connector).

Also, if you are looking for wiring your own... that part is easy.  If you have the connector, the wiring is just trival shorting.

Nikon's *can* be controlled by USB; but not really in the hand-held remote sense.  You can do full tethered shooting via USB.  In fact, I  run a fleet of photo booths that are D5000's internally.  If it's of help to you, I use NKRemote by BreezeSys on Dell laptops. 

« Reply #8 on: 18 / March / 2012, 20:44:03 »
The Nikon's use their own proprietary connector for the remote release.  Here are your options:
1.  Use an ML-L3 (or clone) wireless IR remote.
2.  Buy a proprietary remote (or pigtail).  For reference, the D80's cable looks almost identical, but is different from that of the D90 / D5000 (those two use the same connector).
Also, if you are looking for wiring your own... that part is easy.  If you have the connector, the wiring is just trival shorting.
Nikon's *can* be controlled by USB; but not really in the hand-held remote sense.  You can do full tethered shooting via USB.  In fact, I  run a fleet of photo booths that are D5000's internally.  If it's of help to you, I use NKRemote by BreezeSys on Dell laptops. 
@uphid :  mirileh owns a Canon IXUS970IS P&S camera.   So the Nikon options are not going to help at all.  He/she was looking for a CHDK compatable USB remote - something cheaper that the going price online of $40 for a Ricoh CA-1. 

Is it possible to "pig tail" a clone into the red&black wires on a standard USB cable and create a hybid remote suitable for CHDK usage ?

Offline uphid

« Reply #9 on: 18 / March / 2012, 21:28:10 »
There's no reason that it wouldn't work electrically.  Those remotes are fundamentally just a two-stage switch in pretty packaging.  I can't speak to how much room there would be for the required battery for a CHDK remote.

I bought my Promaster remote presuming that I needed the proprietary Canon 3-pin connector.  I was incorrect.  As such, I don't need the remote.  If you want it for testing, it's yours.  It's got a 2.5mm stereo female output.

That being said, I've got something that may be of more use to you.

I've got the transmitter half of an Aputure remote release setup.  It's the thing mounts on the camera in the left half of this picture:

http://www.aputure.com/en/images/Product_banner05_1207.jpg

It's got a (cold) shoe mount on the base, a 2.5mm female jack, a switch, an output LED (on top), a two-stage switch, and a 2xAAA battery compartment in the back.  Although the 2xAAA may not give the voltage required for a CHDK remote; you may be able to reuse the space.  Perhaps 3xAAAA?  I don't know the preferred battery for a CHDK remote.

Either / both are yours if you want them for experimentation.