High power use with LCD display blanking? Ultimate intervalometer & D10 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

High power use with LCD display blanking? Ultimate intervalometer & D10

• 2 Replies

Offline jules

Advertisements
Trying to maximise run time with external battery, I got a very strange result...

Previously I used display blanking 'PlayKey'. The screen remains dark except during a shot when it comes on briefly. Presumably that's wasting a little battery power.

So it was nice to find updated ultimate script has a new option 'LCD' that "turns off the LCD & backlight completely". And yes, now the D10 screen remains dark all the time... but power draw is MUCH higher!

LCD option allows 24 hours run time vs 72 hours with PlayKey option. Testing with same external battery, same settings, review always off. Repeated tests, same results.

How can always-off screen draw much more power than mostly-off screen?
Have I missed something essential in the setup for LCD option?
« Last Edit: 24 / March / 2014, 08:56:30 by jules »

Offline reyalp

How can always-off screen draw much more power than mostly-off screen?
The sensor hardware is still running if you turn of the display in record mode, and the processor is probably doing more. In playback, it the camera has very little to do.

An alternative on D10 would be to assign the sleep function to the print key and use that. I'm not sure if ultimate supports this method or not (it only applies to some cameras, and requires you to change the canon setting), but it should have similar power usage to play mode with the display off.

edit:
See this thread http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=9049.0
« Last Edit: 24 / March / 2014, 16:56:17 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

I'm not sure if ultimate supports this method or not (it only applies to some cameras, and requires you to change the canon setting), but it should have similar power usage to play mode with the display off.
It does.  In fact I think it support every display power saving mode that has been discussed on this forum.

edit:
See this thread http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=9049.0
I never went back and retested the set_lcd_display() command after it was released.  It appears I should do so based on what jules discovered.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16