G16 Porting Thread - Test Versions Available - page 23 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

G16 Porting Thread - Test Versions Available

• 229 Replies
Re: G16 Porting Thread - Test Versions Available
« Reply #220 on: 26 / June / 2020, 23:28:44 »
Advertisements
FWIW, srsa_4c found a fix that works on at least some cameras, see https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11316.msg136622#msg136622 and sx710 r5353 for example. This did not resolve all issues for me on g7x, but works on my other digic 6 cams
Thanks. As I've now got everything setup again to fix the On/Off button long press issue, I'll look at Firmware Update booting as well.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline pk

« Reply #221 on: 28 / June / 2020, 19:59:52 »
So I found an old 4gb card that I was ready to use, downloaded STICK and went through all the steps. It seemed to have completed everything, recognized my g16 as using build 101b and at the end as it ejected the card said to lock the SD card before inserting it into the camera. I turned on the camera using the play button, saw the chdk logo pop up on screen, but when I press the menu button and look through the menus I can't find any option to update the firmware. Any ideas?

« Reply #222 on: 28 / June / 2020, 20:26:56 »
I turned on the camera using the play button, saw the chdk logo pop up on screen, but when I press the menu button and look through the menus I can't find any option to update the firmware. Any ideas?
I'm guessing that you don't really want to update firmware, just get CHDK running?  And it looks like you already have CHDK running if you've got the logo showing up. 

Press the <ALT> key to switch to CHDK mode.  On the G16 that will be either the Video, Playback, or Shortcut button. The Shortcut button (just below the Video button) is the default. You should see the letters <ALT> at the bottom of the screen if you get it right. Press MENU at that point and start using CHDK.

EDIT : with CHDK correctly installed, as you have it, you don't need to use the Play button to start.  The normal On/Off button works if you press and release it.  (Small issue I'm working on is to make that work with a long press on the On/Off.  Stay tuned)
« Last Edit: 28 / June / 2020, 22:29:16 by waterwingz »

Offline pk

« Reply #223 on: 28 / June / 2020, 23:12:21 »

I'm guessing that you don't really want to update firmware, just get CHDK running?  And it looks like you already have CHDK running if you've got the logo showing up. 

Press the <ALT> key to switch to CHDK mode.  On the G16 that will be either the Video, Playback, or Shortcut button. The Shortcut button (just below the Video button) is the default. You should see the letters <ALT> at the bottom of the screen if you get it right. Press MENU at that point and start using CHDK.

EDIT : with CHDK correctly installed, as you have it, you don't need to use the Play button to start.  The normal On/Off button works if you press and release it.  (Small issue I'm working on is to make that work with a long press on the On/Off.  Stay tuned)

Okay thanks! The instructions are honestly a little confusing as I thought that I had to do the firmware updating to get it working. Anyway, I did as you said, pressing the shortcut button and some things pop up on the screen. At the top in red, a number and the letter M (looks like it's counting space on the card) just to the right of that is a green bar with percentage (battery power, I'm guessing) time on the top right, something that says "opt: 31degrees" On the bottom I don't see the word alt in red, but a thin red line that goes across the bottom left half of the screen. I press the menu button but I don't see any additional menus or features that are available. So I don't think it's working properly. I'm going to try to run through the installation all over again and see if that helps. STICK said that my card was okay and didn't need formatting or anything, but I might just try to reformat it and start totally from scratch and see if that helps.

Offline pk

« Reply #224 on: 28 / June / 2020, 23:41:30 »

Okay thanks! The instructions are honestly a little confusing as I thought that I had to do the firmware updating to get it working. Anyway, I did as you said, pressing the shortcut button and some things pop up on the screen. At the top in red, a number and the letter M (looks like it's counting space on the card) just to the right of that is a green bar with percentage (battery power, I'm guessing) time on the top right, something that says "opt: 31degrees" On the bottom I don't see the word alt in red, but a thin red line that goes across the bottom left half of the screen. I press the menu button but I don't see any additional menus or features that are available. So I don't think it's working properly. I'm going to try to run through the installation all over again and see if that helps. STICK said that my card was okay and didn't need formatting or anything, but I might just try to reformat it and start totally from scratch and see if that helps.

Okay, silly me, I just realized I was only pressing the video record button, not the shortcut button. Pressing video record brought the extra info up on my screen, and I assumed this was where I had to press menu, because you mentioned it could be activated by the video button. I had to press the shortcut button, as you mentioned. Now I'm seeing extra menus! Thank you! I'm going to play with this stuff and explore!
 I noticed there are extra scripts and things I can download. My plan is to take longer exposure shots of the night sky. I have an intervalometer I bought, but if I can instead get that feature right in camera it will save extra equipment and cables!
 Any suggestions anyone can give for scripts or features I should consider for a night sky time-lapse and/or night sky long-exposure and stacking of photos would be appreciated!
 Thanks!

Online reyalp

« Reply #225 on: 29 / June / 2020, 00:28:30 »
Any suggestions anyone can give for scripts or features I should consider for a night sky time-lapse and/or night sky long-exposure and stacking of photos would be appreciated!
A script I wrote for this kind of thing is https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12695.0

Another option is https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Meteor_Intervalometer_with_Dark_Frame_Management
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #226 on: 29 / June / 2020, 00:28:58 »

https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Meteor_Intervalometer_with_Dark_Frame_Management

Offline pk

« Reply #227 on: 29 / June / 2020, 18:00:18 »
A script I wrote for this kind of thing is https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12695.0

Another option is https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Meteor_Intervalometer_with_Dark_Frame_Management

Thank you reyalp and waterwingz! I tested out the scripts. At first I was getting a "native calls disabled" error but a google search pointed me to a message at this forum that said I just have to enable it in the misc. settings menu. Reyalp I've tested out your fixedint script and it's working fine!
 So reading through some of the messages here, I never realized that the reason why whenever I took a long exposure it was because my camera was internally taking a dark frame! Yes, Canon just calls it "processing" and I took it for granted that if I took a long exposure shot, it was going to take twice as long for the shot to finish before the next shot was taken. I always found this very frustrating because it meant that if I wanted to catch a satellite or star trail track, there would be large gaps between the shots. I just assumed I would need a newer camera with faster processing capabilities. The fact that I can turn off the default dark frame my Canon was taking and just take shots faster now is such a delight!
 I'm really excited about putting all this stuff to use now to take better shots!
 Thanks guys I really appreciate it! I'm thinking I might be gone for about a month, but when I get back I'll share any interesting shots I've managed to take with your work!

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #228 on: 29 / August / 2020, 12:43:10 »
 ::) That console.c has one of my enhancements that never disturbs:
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=14048.msg144026#msg144026
But G16 canĀ“t save console.Log.
It hangs without crashing instead until bat taken out.
(Btw. All my cams do that, when I try to save empty console for
some cracyness;)
« Last Edit: 01 / September / 2020, 14:33:52 by Caefix »
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #229 on: 28 / April / 2021, 14:34:24 »
 :-* 0x1BEE +8 Close-up ...  8)
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.