timelaps vs display off, temperature etc (was Re: fixedint.lua...) - page 2 - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

timelaps vs display off, temperature etc (was Re: fixedint.lua...)

• 14 Replies

Offline reyalp

Advertisements
So, on G1x it’s a huge difference of current if I use Display off on Canon Menu. It looks like that I can do time-lapse when I switch display off before I start the script
I suspect the sensor hardware turns back on as soon as half shoot is pressed. You can hear the mechanical shutter open (edit: when waking up the screen with a key other than half shoot. Obviously half shoot triggers other mechanical stuff.) I expect you can't turn the display off with canon keys while in half shoot, because the keys have different meanings.

This is the next measurement which I try to do… also with Display off on Canon
One thing you could test is how much power the camera draws while waiting in quick and cont mode. You can do this using chdkptp rsint:
After you type rsint in the console, it waits for you to send a command in the same way that rawopint etc wait for the interval.
rsint -cont will use continuous mode (if set on camera), otherwise it uses quick. Commands at the rsint prompt are
s = shoot
l = shoot and quit (continuous mode can't quite without taking another shot)
q = quit

edit:
On a540, which has an OVF and DISP button, the live view doesn't update at all when the display is turned off with DISP, regardless of half press or shooting. It must still turn on the sensor for AF and AE, but this isn't reflected in the live view. Voltage does sag noticeably when half press is held.
« Last Edit: 15 / December / 2017, 00:50:34 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline c_joerg

Re: timelaps vs display off, temperature etc (was Re: fixedint.lua...)
« Reply #11 on: 15 / December / 2017, 09:10:20 »
After you type rsint in the console, it waits for you to send a command in the same way that rawopint etc wait for the interval.
rsint -cont will use continuous mode (if set on camera), otherwise it uses quick. Commands at the rsint prompt are
s = shoot
l = shoot and quit (continuous mode can't quite without taking another shot)
q = quit
chdkptp is really a powerful tool …  :)

Not sure if I made it correct. Can I use 's' only ones?
After the second shoot I got the following warning (in cont and quick)

Code: [Select]
WARNING: E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\chdku.lua:1366: General Error
stack traceback:
E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\chdku.lua:1366: in function 'capture_get_data'
E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\rsint.lua:135: in function <E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\rsint.lua:86>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\rsint.lua:259: in function <E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\rsint.lua:152>
(...tail calls...)
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\cli.lua:285: in function 'execute'
E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\cli.lua:400: in function 'run'
E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\gui.lua:744: in function <E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\gui.lua:744>ERROR: rsint failed

But what I see after first shoot was a current from 0,3A.

I made a second measurement with rawopint with an interval of 25s. Between the shoots, independent if I use cont or quick, I measured always 0,3A.  Also, when I switch off display with Canon bottom, between the shoots I have always 0,3A.
Only when I use a simple interval script with single shoots (with Canon Disp Off), I got the 0,15A between the shoots.

I measured also the current of a shoot with 30s. The current was 0,28A while shooting and 0,23A with Canon Disp Off.

M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 15 / December / 2017, 16:25:01 »
Not sure if I made it correct. Can I use 's' only ones?
No, you're supposed to be able to use it as many times as you want  :-[
After the second shoot I got the following warning (in cont and quick)

Code: [Select]
WARNING: E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\chdku.lua:1366: General Error
stack traceback:
E:\CHDK\chdkptp-r723\lua\chdku.lua:1366: in function 'capture_get_data'
Did you have canon raw+jpeg enabled? The current CHDK remoteshoot code unfortunately doesn't handle this correctly. It only expects jpeg, but it sees both and can't tell them apart.

There might also be problems using rsint from the GUI. If it wasn't the raw issue, you can try starting chdkptp from with the command line with -i so it uses console mode.
I made a second measurement with rawopint with an interval of 25s. Between the shoots, independent if I use cont or quick, I measured always 0,3A.  Also, when I switch off display with Canon bottom, between the shoots I have always 0,3A.
Only when I use a simple interval script with single shoots (with Canon Disp Off), I got the 0,15A between the shoots.

I measured also the current of a shoot with 30s. The current was 0,28A while shooting and 0,23A with Canon Disp Off.
Thanks for the test, that makes sense to me. Probably scripts that use the "quick" or continuous mode won't benefit much from the Canon disp off.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #13 on: 15 / December / 2017, 17:07:25 »
Did you have canon raw+jpeg enabled?
That’s it… thanks … only JPG works fine…
I ordered now a power supply for my M3. Then I will repeat the measurements.
Can I increase the size of the live view in chdkptp?
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline reyalp

« Reply #14 on: 15 / December / 2017, 17:51:41 »
That’s it… thanks … only JPG works fine…
FWIW, raw only will probably work too, although the file will be named .jpg by default.
Can I increase the size of the live view in chdkptp?
Checking "viewfinder 1:1" will give you full native resolution. There not option to scale it above that.