Comparison: CHDKPTP vs Canon's RemoteCapture - page 12 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Comparison: CHDKPTP vs Canon's RemoteCapture

• 129 Replies

Offline SticK

Re: Comparison: CHDKPTP vs Canon's RemoteCapture
« Reply #110 on: 29 / August / 2012, 20:29:12 »
Advertisements
PALETTE #3

dump
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7p1kd2

Offline reyalp

« Reply #111 on: 29 / August / 2012, 23:42:49 »
Are you sure you are using the build posted in http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8585.msg90010#msg90010 (CHDK-sx110is-100b-1.1.0.2105-reyalp-test-2.zip built around 8/28 22:55)  ?

The dump you posted PALETTE #3 does not contain palette data. It shouldn't be possible with this build

FWIW, I only need a dump with the palette showing, I don't need all the other ones. Since I already have the screenshot, you don't need to make another one, as long as the camera is in the same mode when you make the new dump.

PALETTE #1 - photo color are not very accurate.
If you are talking about the live view color, this is not a palette issue, since it's a YUV not paletted.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline SticK

« Reply #112 on: 30 / August / 2012, 04:47:02 »
I was using test-1 in error.  In test-2 UI Overlay doesn't work // the liveview in rec mode is the same as in play mode.

dump
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nme110

Offline SticK

« Reply #113 on: 30 / August / 2012, 15:35:39 »
The S90 is in and am beginning testing.  To contribute my community service I remain at your disposal to continue tests with SX110 to at least resolve the UI color problem, EXIF ISO update gremlin, and give it a thorough user-exercise.

QUESTION:  Do I use the stock version of CHDK for the S90?  If you feel the changes you did for the SX110 will be useful for the S90 and you have a stable build, please give a link.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #114 on: 30 / August / 2012, 16:14:31 »
I was using test-1 in error.  In test-2 UI Overlay doesn't work //
Can you be more specific what "doesn't work" means ?
the liveview in rec mode is the same as in play mode.
I don't understand what this is referring to.
QUESTION:  Do I use the stock version of CHDK for the S90?  If you feel the changes you did for the SX110 will be useful for the S90 and you have a stable build, please give a link.
All the changes I've made for sx110 are specific 110.

S90 is also missing the various live view related functions (viewport buffer size, palette, bmp buffer) so all those will have to be implemented. I'll try to put up a test build this evening. Live view should still work to some extent, just like it did in your initial tests with sx110.

edit:
OK, I see the overlay doesn't show up because with the current palette settings most of the ui is 100% transparent. This will take a little digging.
« Last Edit: 30 / August / 2012, 16:36:56 by reyalp »

Offline SticK

« Reply #115 on: 30 / August / 2012, 19:11:06 »
Quote "OK, I see the overlay doesn't show up because with the current palette settings most of the ui is 100% transparent."

Yes I can confirm that if I cover the lens for the liveview to go dark, then a few UI icons do show a bit.  But color is still off, eg the set direction arrows on each side of Tv which are supposed to be a vivid green, are a light violet.  There is not much else I can see easily so that's all I can help you with for now.

The S90 ..........

Yes an update CHDK build would be very very interesting.  In CHDKPTP, what is the default liveview size in the normal 4:3 A/R?  640x480?  Larger?  If it is larger than 360x270 say ...  could you please consider adding a 1/2-size checkbox, ie the option to show liveview at 320x240 for example?  The reason is to able to optimize screen real-estate.  I have this good feeling that the glorious CHDKPTP+CHDK will produce a razor sharp liveview for this camera.

Quote "I'll try to put up a test build this evening. Live view should still work to some extent, just like it did in your initial tests with sx110."

Are you talking about the test build or the stock build?  I am trying to determine if it's worth trying the stock or wait for the test.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #116 on: 30 / August / 2012, 22:00:29 »
Yes an update CHDK build would be very very interesting.  In CHDKPTP, what is the default liveview size in the normal 4:3 A/R?  640x480?  Larger?  If it is larger than 360x270 say ...  could you please consider adding a 1/2-size checkbox, ie the option to show liveview at 320x240 for example
I'm not sure what it will be, I don't have the camera. chdkptp currently just takes the actual viewport width (or 1/2) and scales the Y to get the correct aspect ratio. I probably add other options at some point, but it's not a priority to me.

Are you talking about the test build or the stock build?  I am trying to determine if it's worth trying the stock or wait for the test.
Live view should work in the stock build. It will have a fixed, possibly incorrect viewport buffer size. the UI overlay palette will be wrong, and the the overlay will also have the same update issue that sx110 had.

A dump or screenshot of the current stock build could be helpful for me.

Offline SticK

« Reply #117 on: 30 / August / 2012, 22:11:55 »
Quote "A dump or screenshot of the current stock build could be helpful for me."

Sure.  I'm just finishing up a dark imaging report I will post.  Afterwards I will apply the stock installation to the S90.  It's an 8GB card so I have to partition it etc, and send you the data as soon as I can // maybe an hour - 2 hr range.

Offline SticK

« Reply #118 on: 30 / August / 2012, 23:02:14 »
LOW LIGHT IMAGING COMPARISON:  CAMERA S70, S90 and SX110

Test subject was a low-profile wooden dolly hidden in room corner partially obscured by two large tables at a right angle to each other.  Room nighttime dark.  White light source: darkened computer screen pointing away from the equipment corner.  To the eye individual pieces of equipment in the photographed zone on the bottom of the dolly are barely visible and not discernible.

The S50, which is the existing camera mounted on the instrument, and the S70 have the same dark and SNR performance so the S70 can be used as a faithful reference.

S70: reference exposure was set 15sec at f2.8 and ISO 400: dark exposure, expected. 
        SNR: poor

SX110: 15sec at f2.8 and ISO 400: dark exposure, approximately same brightness as S70.
            SNR: good.
            15sec at f2.8 and ISO 1600: 1-1/2 f-stops brighter than SX110 @ ISO 400
            SNR: visible but good.

S90: 15sec at f2.8 and ISO 400: dark exposure +1 f-stop brighter than S70
          SNR: excellent
         15sec at f2.8 and ISO 1600:  Same brightness as SX110 @ ISO 1600, good image purity
          SNR: excellent, not visually perceptible.
         15sec at f2.8 and ISO 3200:  +1 f-stop brighter than S90 ISO 1600, as advertised.
          SNR:  no visually perceptible noise.   RGB tone curve brightness increase by +2 f-stops results in some noise that barely noticeable.

CONCLUSION

Low-light performance for the SX110 over the S70 is 3-4 f-stops.  Low light performance of the S90 over S70 is about 6 f-stops.  Subjectively, color purity of the high ISO S90 images probably extends that performance of 7 f-stops over the S70.  Hence the S90 passes the 1st phase of dark imaging, and has tentatively replaced the SX110 as the candidate for the instrument. 

NEXT ...

The next set of exposure tests will require CHDK to examine dead pixels and dark noise w/o dark-subtract, and 64second Tv to determine CCD "amp glow" performance (corner-edge electroluminescence/NIR chip surface tunneling) .

Offline SticK

« Reply #119 on: 31 / August / 2012, 00:29:35 »
HELP -- I can't get a FAT16 onto an 8GB SD already formatted to FAT32 in WinXP.  Partition Magic does not see the card too.  Do you know if the S90 will boot from the 8GB FAT32?