Canon EOS M6 firmware dump - Firmware Dumping - CHDK Forum

Canon EOS M6 firmware dump

• 9 Replies
Canon EOS M6 firmware dump
« on: 01 / August / 2017, 12:30:05 »
Advertisements
Just got a Canon M6 (nice little camera) and remembered to try to dump the firmware:

- Formatted 32Gb mSD card in-camera (low-level)
- Used EOS Card to run the dumper script used for the M5 with a small change (below)
- Inserted card, pressed play, pressed Set, waited for a bit.

When it first ran, with the original script, I think it crashed (screen went black). I then changed this:
Code: [Select]
startadr = c * 0x1000000to this
Code: [Select]
startadr = c * 0x0000000And it ran, with the output on the file below.

I have no idea if its valid or not, if someone could check and give me some pointers on this I'd be happy to try it again.

Canon M6 (firmware v1.0.0)
(See next messages)
« Last Edit: 01 / August / 2017, 13:26:16 by acseven »

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Canon EOS M6 firmware dump
« Reply #1 on: 01 / August / 2017, 13:05:16 »
I have no idea if its valid or not, if someone could check and give me some pointers on this I'd be happy to try it again.
It's the first 16MB of the camera's main ROM (4 copies of it). The whole size of this ROM is very likely 32MB.
You can either try to run the official script, or, if that doesn't work, modify the original script you linked by removing the mydump(2) and mydump(3) lines. I have no idea why the script crashed the camera - it apparently worked on the M5.
The partial dump shows that this firmware runs DryOS r59+p3, just like the latest PowerShots.

« Reply #2 on: 01 / August / 2017, 13:16:46 »
I'd tried the official script, and it didn't do anything other than creating some log files that had simple error messages. The M5 script didn't even create a log.
I'll try your suggestion later on.

« Reply #3 on: 01 / August / 2017, 13:27:16 »
Ok, this time I got to see on screen the actual .BIN files being output:

Canon M6 v1.0.0 dump
Firmware Dump

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #4 on: 03 / August / 2017, 16:37:22 »
FW version is GM1.00B.
I'd tried the official script, and it didn't do anything other than creating some log files that had simple error messages.
Based on this report, I added a simple D7 dumper script to that page (which is heavily based on the M5 script).
If you kept those messages somewhere, you could publish them - maybe they suggest what went wrong.

@fe50
Please append DUMP1.BIN to the end of DUMP0.BIN, to get the usual 32MB PRIMARY.BIN dump. Start address is 0xe0000000.
« Last Edit: 04 / August / 2017, 06:47:52 by acseven »

« Reply #5 on: 04 / August / 2017, 06:49:45 »
I'll try to get those logs again - but one file was empty and the other had a very plain "There was an error" message in it (something similar, not ipsis verbis), something very straightforward. What I got from it was that the boot process was running but the script crashed right away.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #6 on: 13 / August / 2017, 10:27:31 »
Added the
  • EOS M6 1.00B
full 32MB dump by acseven from this forum post to the CHDK DSLR FW dumps repository.

« Reply #7 on: 14 / December / 2018, 19:48:55 »
Oh I'd love to have CHDK running on the M6.
The only function I'd need is more than 3 bracketed images though. If only the canon firmware would let me have that…
Well okay, maybe some more tweaks like to have the bracketed shots be taken like -, 0, + (--, -, 0, +, ++ maybe?) and not only like 0, -, +

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #8 on: 15 / December / 2018, 06:01:09 »
The only function I'd need is more than 3 bracketed images though. If only the canon firmware would let me have that…
Well okay, maybe some more tweaks like to have the bracketed shots be taken like -, 0, + (--, -, 0, +, ++ maybe?) and not only like 0, -, +
Well, there's this experiment. An unfinished shooting script can be found near the last posts.
What's missing is
a) appropriate button codes for operating the script without making camera use difficult
b) finding out why it takes an extra shot and fixing it
As it's a script, the bracketing order can be changed to taste by editing the script. If you're interested, you can continue posting there.

« Reply #9 on: 02 / April / 2024, 19:15:45 »
I want to clean canon eos M6 overlays,but scripts available only for firmware 1.00b.Sadly,I update  canon eos M6  firmware to 1.01version and the link is dead.Can you share link again?