Need camera advice - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Need camera advice

• 2 Replies
Need camera advice
« on: 17 / June / 2011, 18:27:34 »
Advertisements
Hi folks,
Newbie here. I would like to get a cheap, small camera (Canon, of course) which (a) is fully supported by CHDK, and (b) takes SDHC cards.  I plan on taking lots of time-lapse photos (every 1 second, for example), and need the capacity.

Any recommendations? The list of supported cameras is very long, and I was hoping some users could suggest something off the top of their head.

Thank you very much!

Re: Need camera advice
« Reply #1 on: 17 / June / 2011, 20:07:24 »
A495

- cheap
- available in stores now
- all known firmware versions ported (at least I hope so)
- did I mention cheap ?
- uses SD cards so I assume SDHC is an option

« Last Edit: 17 / June / 2011, 20:11:23 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

Re: Need camera advice
« Reply #2 on: 18 / June / 2011, 01:12:06 »
Hi folks,
Newbie here. I would like to get a cheap, small camera (Canon, of course) which (a) is fully supported by CHDK, and (b) takes SDHC cards.  I plan on taking lots of time-lapse photos (every 1 second, for example), and need the capacity.
Note that most canon P&S will struggle to maintain 1fps continuous shooting. You should check the Canon continuous shoot spec, and ensure there is a little margin beyond your desired shooting rate.

The a495 waterwingz suggests has
Continuous Shooting
Approx. 0.9 shot/sec. approx. 2.5 shots/sec. in Low Light)
Note that with CHDK, some people have reported success using the low light mode while forcing the ISO to also be low, which gives you a fast shooting half resolution mode. If you are going to make video, the half resolution may not be a problem.
Don't forget what the H stands for.