Using chdk (bootable) with an 8gb card - the easiest possible solution??? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

Using chdk (bootable) with an 8gb card - the easiest possible solution???

• 7 Replies

Offline ac17

Advertisements
Hi
I have just been reading these forums and Im confused.

We can use CHDK (bootable) with an 8gb card that has been partitioned, but windows won`t recognize two partitions.

Is that right?

-Well, hasn`t anyone tried this workaround?
http://www.lancelhoff.com/multi-partition-a-usb-flash-drive-in-windows/

« Last Edit: 08 / February / 2009, 01:46:04 by ac17 »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Using chdk (bootable) with an 8gb card - the easiest possible solution???
« Reply #1 on: 08 / February / 2009, 04:59:43 »
We can use CHDK (bootable) with an 8gb card that has been partitioned, but windows won`t recognize two partitions.
Is that right?
-Well, hasn`t anyone tried this workaround?
http://www.lancelhoff.com/multi-partition-a-usb-flash-drive-in-windows/
Yes, that's right - Windows recognizes only one Partition on such devices.

With the manual loading method (PS.FIR or PS.FI2) using the Canon "Firmware Update" menu item you can use 'big' cards with a single partition (FAT32 formatted, e.g. directly in the camera).

For the "Autoboot" method (CHDK starts from a locked card) you need the CHDK multi partition support for your camera, this way the camera starts from a 'small' FAT16 partition and then switches over to the 2nd 'big' FAT32 partition.

You can swap the partitions from the CHDK Debug menu for all VxWorks cameras and also for some DryOS ones.
You can also use the SDM installer for swapping the partitions (be careful, select the right device there !).
The 3rd way is to change the Window's USB driver behavior, e.g. with a prepared 'Mass storage driver'; IMO that's what BootIt from your link does.
So this should work, but the behavior of devices prepared this way is different from the standard, e.g. the device is not shown on the "Send to" menu...

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #2 on: 08 / February / 2009, 05:51:35 »
hi fe50

IMO that's what BootIt from your link does.

already checked it out, but it didn't have any effect on a Kingston 8 Gb ...

from this, and the linked pages i suspect it works on Lexar hardware only, maybe even only on their USB sticks.

BTW this all is a double post for which ac17 already apologised: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3123.msg29153.html#msg29153

cheers,

wim

Offline ac17

« Reply #3 on: 08 / February / 2009, 05:56:28 »
Thanks for you reply fe50. I`d really like to make use of the Autoboot method, because using the manual loading method everytime I want to use CHDK will prob drive me nuts. So will having to mess about with SDM everytime I want to get my pics off my SD card, I imagine. (that is of course unless I have misunderstood the process, and it is in fact a one-off proceedure)

Re my BootIt suggestion - a more detailed explination of how it works is here:
http://www.chapter27.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=82&limit=10&limitstart=0&order=name&dir=ASC&Itemid=149

I have read (while at work) extensively online about the BootIt application, and it seems that it is a Lexar application that may not work with other brands. This is unless, of course, the other brands share the same controller chip that do Lexars. Because it must be changed at the hardware level, explains why there is not 3rd party software out there to change every SD card (there`s probably too many controllers to write for...)

Nevertheless, I have a transcend 8gb SDHC and I will try it out when I get home.

If it doesn`t work, maybe there is a way to flip the Removable Media Bit of the SD card in Linux, and then it will be detectable in Windows as a Local Drive and the problem will be solved.

Failing that - I could write to Transcend and request they make an application like BootIt, OR I could buy a Lexar card...

Offline whim

« Reply #4 on: 08 / February / 2009, 06:09:36 »
@ac17

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much ... it didn't work on my card, at least. And ...
There is no official bit that can be flipped to make a card appear as a fixed disk (something like that was never
implemented in the specs of the FAT partitions *) If you can make a card appear as fixed disk by 'flipping a bit'
it is more than likely to happen in the controller, i.e. the piece of hardware that makes the flash chips present
themselves as a disk.

wim

* see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
« Last Edit: 08 / February / 2009, 06:11:59 by whim »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #5 on: 08 / February / 2009, 08:22:36 »
Yes, the Lexar app changes the controller firmware of the device.

The Windows Mass Storage Driver normally used for such removable USB devices then get's the
"Hi, i'm a hard disc device !" information from the USB stick's controller, then Windows treats the stick / card
like an external hard disc drive & shows multiple partitions.

You can't manipulate the device this way without a special tool from the manufacturer, it also modifies the hardware of the device.
The method i mentioned earlier in this threat has the same result, but it exchanges the Windows standard driver with a modified 'hard disc' driver...canon-s5-is-chdk-hack-step-by-step

Offline ac17

« Reply #6 on: 09 / February / 2009, 07:21:54 »
No Luck - I tried to flip the bit and Bootit doesnt work for my card.

-Hey what excactly does swapping the partitions in CHDK Debug menu do? Is there a risk of loosing pics?

Maybe its just easier to boot up CHDK when I need it ;(

(Im travelling at the moment and I dont own I pc I can manipulate the usb driver for, and the SDM solution - although a viable option for many - wont be a good option for me because I may find that the PC I use to burn my pic to DVD on is locked as far as running an .exe is concerned)

Offline whim

« Reply #7 on: 09 / February / 2009, 07:47:25 »
-Hey what excactly does swapping the partitions in CHDK Debug menu do? Is there a risk of loosing pics?

It makes 'the other' partition visible (to view/transfer pics). this allows you to manage the partitions without a computer, as
long as you make sure you have 'ps.fi2' on the FAT32 partition, it's just like swap partitions in the SDM tool

Scenario: you have autobooted CHDK on a dual parttition card, press swap partitions, shut down the cam. You can then easily
access your pictures, because the large partition is visible. If you now reinsert the card, your cam will no longer autoboot;
however, you can use 'firm update' to boot CHDK, press swap partitions, shutdown / restart the cam and you are back at the initial situation.

I agree however that just formatting FAT32 and using 'firm update' to start CHDK is easier ...
Personally, i prefer buying 2 x 4 Gb instead of 1 x 8 Gb and avoiding the problem completely.

wim

PS maybe another travelling tip: take your tiny 32 Mb Canon card (loaded with CHDK) so you can experiment while on the
     road with (the effect of) settings without endangering your pics.
« Last Edit: 09 / February / 2009, 08:08:39 by whim »