Newbie Help needed, first time user (S3 iS) - page 2 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Newbie Help needed, first time user (S3 iS)

• 19 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Newbie Help needed, first time user (S3 iS)
« Reply #10 on: 04 / May / 2012, 00:43:54 »
Advertisements
Update : took a look at the boot.c code for the s3is  in the CHDK svn.  Wow - that's really old! Way before my time.  There is no way that I can see that the partition switching code is in there.   Unless one of the old timers here can help,  you might be limited to 4G FAT16 cards.   Sorry ... best I can do for now.
The partition switch code is there, it's just in mount.c

S3IS does support multipartition. I think it's quite unlikely this has been broken, so I'd guess the card hasn't been prepared correctly.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline d4005

« Reply #11 on: 04 / May / 2012, 02:22:10 »
Update : took a look at the boot.c code for the s3is  in the CHDK svn.  Wow - that's really old! Way before my time.  There is no way that I can see that the partition switching code is in there.   Unless one of the old timers here can help,  you might be limited to 4G FAT16 cards.   Sorry ... best I can do for now.
The partition switch code is there, it's just in mount.c

S3IS does support multipartition. I think it's quite unlikely this has been broken, so I'd guess the card hasn't been prepared correctly.
Sorry about that guys, I had my FAT12 15MB partition set as primary, but my 7.6GB FAT32 partition set as logical, in the way you'd normally do with a normal hard drive (as seen below in the screenshot). Now I set the FAT32 partition to primary it does switch successfully. D'oh !!  :-X

In regular use: Canon S100, Canon SX40HS (*CHDK*), Ricoh R8
Still around but unused: Canon S3 iS (*CHDK*), Canon G11 (loaned out), Casio EX-FS10

Offline d4005

« Reply #12 on: 04 / May / 2012, 02:36:51 »
Here's a start : <links>
Thanks! I'm all over them this weekend  :D
Still around but unused: Canon S3 iS (*CHDK*), Canon G11 (loaned out), Casio EX-FS10

« Reply #13 on: 04 / May / 2012, 18:06:22 »
It works??!  I've been using CHDK in my S3IS for a year or more, but gave up on my 8G card.  I figured the S3 was simply too old to address cards beyond 4G.  More fun ahead.
Thanks, d4005, for bringing up the subject, and to the rest of you for helping him and me!
S3 IS with LensMate filter/hood adapter

Offline d4005

« Reply #14 on: 05 / May / 2012, 02:41:16 »
It works??!  I've been using CHDK in my S3IS for a year or more, but gave up on my 8G card.  I figured the S3 was simply too old to address cards beyond 4G.  More fun ahead.
Thanks, d4005, for bringing up the subject, and to the rest of you for helping him and me!
Yes. Here's what I did:

Using EaseUs Partition Master (free to home users), I erased all existing partitions on the 8G card.

Then I created a FAT16 primary partition (which is also known as FAT12). I'm told that it only needs to be 500KB, but I thought I'd make it a few MB instead - to account for future growth of CHDK. It's a drop in the ocean on an 8G card anyway.

Then in the remaining free space I created a FAT32 partition (7.6GB or so) which should also be primary. I initially made it logical and CHDK failed to switch over to it on bootup in the camera. Converting it to primary (in EPM) fixed that.

Once you've got both partitions created (in EPM) format them, as FAT16 and FAT32 accordingly.

Then you can use SDM to make the FAT16 bootable.

and finally copy BOOTDISK.BIN (or is it DISKBOOT.BIN, I forget) into the root of the FAT16 and you're ready to go.

Flip the lock switch and it will boot and switch over to the big partition in-camera. You'll see 7,xxxMB free in the centre of the screen at the top. This is where I was only seeing 15MB free initially because as I said, I'd left the big partition as "logical" instead of primary.

I'm still missing the CHDK logo on bootup, but I get the red text flash up. I don't have any scripts on it either, but I'll figure out how to get the logo and scripts this weekend I expect  :D

btw, I understand the S3 iS can handle 16GB cards. I'm only using an 8GB with mine because it's all I had spare to allocate to this camera, which if it wasn't for CHDK would remain retired in the cellar  :-[.
« Last Edit: 05 / May / 2012, 02:44:49 by d4005 »

« Reply #15 on: 05 / May / 2012, 07:42:34 »
Using EaseUs Partition Master (free to home users)  ....
SDMinst.exe will do all of this for you.  You don't need to use EPM although your method will certainly work too.

link> Using_SDMinste_to_Create_Dual_Partition_SD_cards

I'm still missing the CHDK logo on bootup, but I get the red text flash up. I don't have any scripts on it either, but I'll figure out how to get the logo and scripts this weekend I expect  :D
You are missing the round logo and scripts because you did not unzip the distribution file (telling it to create the original folders) onto the large partition.
« Last Edit: 05 / May / 2012, 09:19:13 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline d4005

« Reply #16 on: 05 / May / 2012, 08:16:39 »
You are missing the round logo and scripts because you did not unzip the distribution file (telling it to create the original folders) onto the large partition.
I'm still a little (a lot) unclear on what "the distribution file" is. I've got my card booting and switching to the large partition successfully. But my large partition is empty. The boot partition has a handful of CHDK folders, but they're all empty. I've copied .bas and .lua scripts into it, but when I try to load a script, it shows me (in-camera) an empty scripts folder.

Is there only one distribution file? Or is it the one I downloaded for my S3 iS specifically, because that only had about 4 files in it, two of which were text files, one was diskboot.bin, and the other is PS.FIR which I don't need because I'm auto-booting.
 :( :blink:

UPDATE: I found the distribution file on that mighty hoersche site now. Thanks !!
« Last Edit: 05 / May / 2012, 08:21:32 by d4005 »

« Reply #17 on: 05 / May / 2012, 08:24:03 »
Is there only one distribution file? Or is it the one I downloaded for my S3 iS specifically, because that only had about 4 files in it, two of which were text files, one was diskboot.bin, and the other is PS.FIR which I don't need because I'm auto-booting.
Good point - there are two versions of the distribution file available from the download server.  Once contains basically just the executable CHDK file.  The other contains the executable plus all the needed support files.

On the CHDK download page http://mighty-hoernsche.de/ there are columns labelled Complete and Small.  Guess which one you should have used ?  (Hint: you will see the word "FULL" embedded in the file name.)

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #18 on: 05 / May / 2012, 08:49:27 »
* http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads#Finding_the_Right_Build

Legend for the CHDK package filenames on the Autobuild Server:

sx10is-100e-1.03x-1806-full_BETA.zip
  |    |    |     |    |    |
  |    |    |     |    |    +-- optional: BETA means: port is in beta state, some minor features may not work
  |    |    |     |    +------- optional: package type, full means: complete package incl. lang files, fonts  etc.
  |    |    |     +------------ SVN trunk version, the development build number (automatically set)
  |    |    +------------------ CHDK version number (manually set)
  |    +----------------------- firmware version
  +---------------------------- camera model

Offline d4005

« Reply #19 on: 05 / May / 2012, 08:54:10 »
Good point - there are two versions of the distribution file available from the download server.  Once contains basically just the executable CHDK file.  The other contains the executable plus all the needed support files.

On the CHDK download page http://mighty-hoernsche.de/ there are columns labelled Complete and Small.  Guess which one you should have used ?  (Hint: you will see the word "FULL" embedded in the file name.)
Site suggestion - new smiley, one banging on his own head with a hammer  :haha

I am now successfully CHDK'ing with scripts. Tried out a few intervalometers (my main desire). Off to find how I can extend the longest exposure beyond the 15 seconds my camera's currently limiting it to.
Edit: Oh yes! 64 second exposure  :D
« Last Edit: 05 / May / 2012, 09:13:37 by d4005 »