SX50 and CHDK 1.3: WHY Disabled RAW/PNG in HiSpeed-Burst-Mode! - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

SX50 and CHDK 1.3: WHY Disabled RAW/PNG in HiSpeed-Burst-Mode!

• 5 Replies
Advertisements
Hi,

I am currently testing HiSpeed-Burst mode of my SX50 HS with CHDK 1.3.

I wonder why setting i.e. at least "Only First RAW in Series" does not have any influence in HiSpeed-Burst mode?

Shouldn´t DISABLING
Disable RAW @ Burst Enable [ ] / Disable [X]
result in RAW images in HiSpeed BURST mode?

Or did somebody find out/validate that this was too much for the DIGIC 5?

Thanks and best regards
canontestit

« Last Edit: 03 / March / 2014, 02:33:28 by canontestit »

Re: SX50 and CHDK 1.3: WHY Disabled RAW/PNG in HiSpeed-Burst-Mode!
« Reply #1 on: 03 / March / 2014, 11:00:56 »
I wonder why setting i.e. at least "Only First RAW in Series" does not have any influence in HiSpeed-Burst mode?
Probably because the Canon code in HiSpeed_Burst mode does not follow the same path as it does when the camera is doing normal shooting and so it is not intercepted by the CHDK capt_seq.c code.

Shouldn´t DISABLING
result in RAW images in HiSpeed BURST mode?
No - disabling will tell CHDK not to disable saving RAW images.  However,  if RAW images are not being saved in the first place (see my comment above) then it really doesn't matter how you set this value.

Or did somebody find out/validate that this was too much for the DIGIC 5?
Not likely.  As per my first comment, it's more an issue of the CHDK port not intercepting the shooting sequence at all the right places.

Bear in mind that saving RAW images to the SD card takes a lot longer than saving a JPG.  This makes HiSpeed-Burst not practical in the first place.

Incidentally,  the SX50 has built-in support for RAW in the standard Canon firmware.  Have you experimented with that?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #2 on: 03 / March / 2014, 16:11:30 »
Probably because the Canon code in HiSpeed_Burst mode does not follow the same path as it does when the camera is doing normal shooting and so it is not intercepted by the CHDK capt_seq.c code.
That's more than likely. Logging the message IDs received by capt_seq_task into the camera log could give hints.
But. The DIGIC is able to create JPEGs on-the-fly, it's possible that the hi speed mode doesn't even write RAW data into the camera's RAM...

(I'm getting 'error 520' pages again...)

« Reply #3 on: 05 / March / 2014, 00:44:09 »
Hi,

I thought BURST MODE was HiSpeedMode and CONTINOUS SHOOTING MODE was usual speed (1-2 shots/s).

If this was true I wonder why the CHDK manual speaks of BURST MODE in connection with RAW:?

I wondered if - in HiSpeed Burst mode - there was at least the possibility to save the FIRST shot as a raw file and the rest as JPEG.

Thanks and regards
canontestit

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 05 / March / 2014, 00:52:22 »
Hi,

I thought BURST MODE was HiSpeedMode and CONTINOUS SHOOTING MODE was usual speed (1-2 shots/s).
Over the years, Canon has implemented similar functions with similar names, but they don't all work the same way. I'm pretty sure the "busrt mode" that option refers to predates the SX 50 by a lot.

IIRC the reason raw is disabled in high speed burst is because it doesn't work. Exactly how it doesn't work can probably be found in the porting thread.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 05 / March / 2014, 01:18:12 »
Thanks a lot for that information!

I was a little bit confused but your explanation is understandable.

Best regards
canontestit