Canon G11 and CHDK... "Raw Disabled", how to reset and what is this icon? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Canon G11 and CHDK... "Raw Disabled", how to reset and what is this icon?

• 7 Replies
Advertisements
Hello,

First, I would like to say that I love CHDK!!!!!

I ran into some issues today, and I was wondering if I could get some help.

My questions:

1. I noticed that the CHDK was displaying "Raw Disabled" in the little orange and black text window on my LCD... What does "Raw Disabled" mean? I have turned on raw in the G11 itself, so does this mean that the CHDK disabled raw images? When I go to the "Raw" settings of CHDK, the RAW option has a "dot" (which tells me it is turned on) and when I de-select this option, the "RAW disabled" message goes away. What is the best setting here?

2. How can I reset the CHDK settings back to the defaults?

3. What does the attached image mean? When I do auto focus and press the shutter half way, the attached image appears in the lower left-hand corner... Is this normal? What does it mean?

(Please excuse the crudity of the attached drawing)

Any help ya'll could provide would be awesome! I am on vacation and I would hate to not get the best image quality possible because of user ignorance! :D

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Micky

Re: Canon G11 and CHDK... "Raw Disabled", how to reset and what is this icon?
« Reply #1 on: 21 / December / 2010, 00:55:52 »

« Reply #2 on: 21 / December / 2010, 01:23:28 »
Looks like the "reset to default" option can be found under games menu? At least, that is what it looks like in the manual.

I was wrong... It is under "Misculaneous" menu.

Also, I turned off "Save RAW" and the G11 still shot CR2 Canon RAW files. So, it looks like I can safely keep this option disabled and still shoot RAW images.

Any ideas as to what that camera icon means?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 21 / December / 2010, 01:30:56 »
CHDK raw settings only affect CHDK raw. CHDK doesn't know anything about Canon raw.

The icon doesn't look like a CHDK icon to me.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 21 / December / 2010, 01:42:50 »
Hi Reyalp, many many many thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate your help!

CHDK raw settings only affect CHDK raw. CHDK doesn't know anything about Canon raw.

Oh, great! Thanks for clarification!

So, it sounds like I can safely turn off "Save RAW" in CHDK and just go with the Canon's RAW setting? From what my tests show, this causes no problems.

The icon doesn't look like a CHDK icon to me.

Ahh, I did not see this icon in the Canon menu, and the color of the icon was orange (which is the color of the CHDK fonts) so I assumed it was CHDK.

I just tested again, and this icon only appears when the shutter speed is too slow for hand held... It must be indicating that I need a tripod? I will peruse through the Canon manual again (the G11 manual really needs an index of icons with descriptions!) ;)

Thanks again Reyalp!!!!

Cheers,
Micky

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #5 on: 21 / December / 2010, 05:04:05 »
Ahh, I did not see this icon in the Canon menu, and the color of the icon was orange
You may have a deeper look into your G11 Canon user manual  :)
I guess it's either one of the Canon OSD symbols for the "Image stabilization" or (most probably) the Canon "shake warning" symbol...

« Reply #6 on: 21 / December / 2010, 23:00:59 »
You may have a deeper look into your G11 Canon user manual  :) I guess it's either one of the Canon OSD symbols for the "Image stabilization" or (most probably) the Canon "shake warning" symbol...

Ahhhhh! Found it!!!! You were right fe50! :)

On page 63 of the G11 user manual there is a little spot where they mention "Camera Shake" and how this icon will appear in low light conditions.

I just assumed it was CHDK because of the orange colors! My mistake. :)

Thanks so much to everyone for the help!

I love CHDK! Such a life saver for HDR bracketing.

Thanks again all! :)

Cheers,
Micky

@reyalp :  that may not actually be true.  Doing a little debugging of the G10 today - several testers were reporting  "RAW Disabled" or "DNG Disabled" text on their LCD even though none of the options in the RAW -> Exceptions were selected.

With a little digging,  I found this gem in core/conf.c ->  is_raw_enabled()

Code: [Select]
   (shooting_get_prop(PROPCASE_RESOLUTION)==5) ||   // True if shooting resolution is ??? (what is mode 5)

As near as I can tell, mode 5 tells the CHDK that the G10 has Canon RAW mode enabled.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16