So the SX 20IS not supported via a "official build" per STICK pic results? - page 4 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

So the SX 20IS not supported via a "official build" per STICK pic results?

• 39 Replies
Advertisements
Okay all seems well after I had to re-assign all my file structures to extract in 7zip. Somehow windows “corrupted” all those associations in both my PC's at the same general time.
Once I got that straightened out your program went through its paces  and the SD card is locked and “bootable” I assume? (I had originally made it a FAT16 format but then had re-formatted it to FAT32 but from what I can tell it should be good to go.)

Thanks for working with me on this. I guess the tip here is to not use Windows Explorer as a file extractor as about 5 of your files it could not handle.

Take care and thanks again!!
If I ever owe anyone a drink it's you two!

Bill

Once I got that straightened out your program went through its paces  and the SD card is locked and “bootable” I assume?
So did you actually get CHDK to load and run?

Thanks for working with me on this. I guess the tip here is to not use Windows Explorer as a file extractor as about 5 of your files it could not handle.
Strange.  I've used Windows Explorer that way many times with no problem.  I think this issue is related to something else.

If I ever owe anyone a drink it's you two!
Guiness on tap works for me.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

:(Looks like we'll have to delay that Guinness date a bit longer.

I was cycling through the wonderful menu CHDK picks in my SX20 and I was at the main CHDK directory title when I thought to tap “DISP”............................
which led to a dialog box on if I wanted to delete that directory YES or NO.
It looked to me like YES was highlighted so I shifted it to NO which was the wrong choice as now I noticed a lot of the files are missing.

I backed out of everything and re-inserted the card and now get a Error: Missing Modules screen.

Should I re-format that card and start over?

Sorry this happened.

Bill

Offline zeno

No! All you need to do is copy some files to the card. When STICK downloaded the build, it put all the files in a directory in the STICK directory before it copied them to the card. They are still there. Look for a directory that has the name of your camera (plus firmware version). It should have a file called DISKBOOT.BIN in it. Just copy all that directory to the root of the card.

Alternatively just use STICK again. It will ask you if you want to use the already downloaded build. It will also discover that the card is already prepared so all it will do is the file copying.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

I was cycling through the wonderful menu CHDK picks in my SX20 and I was at the main CHDK directory title when I thought to tap “DISP”...which led to a dialog box on if I wanted to delete that directory YES or NO.  It looked to me like YES was highlighted so I shifted it to NO which was the wrong choice as now I noticed a lot of the files are missing.
I'm very curious about how you actually did this.  The only way I know to do this is with the File Select Window - which can only be activated via these menu items :
  • Load Script from File ...
  • File Browser
  • Text File Reader
  • Load Edge Overlay
  • Load Grid from File
I may have missed a couple of other choices but you definitely can't get it from the "main CHDK directory title" screen as you stated.  Are you sure you were not using one of those options?

Also,  if you get stuck again,  you can almost always cancel out of anything by pressing the <ALT> key again.

What I remember is that the CHDK title was at the top of the list of options and I think it may have been highlighted also.

I then tapped DISP. and the next thing was the delete that directory box yes or no message. After I made that mistake only minimal files in white text were visible as I scrolled around. I assume I had messed things up.

When I backed out and reloaded the SD card at Play mode is where I see that error message as I stated above that also had the "no image" text. I set it down after that and posted here. 

I know nothing about the process you stated above.

Thanks,
Bill

What I remember is that the CHDK title was at the top of the list of options and I think it may have been highlighted also.

I then tapped DISP. and the next thing was the delete that directory box yes or no message. After I made that mistake only minimal files in white text were visible as I scrolled around. I assume I had messed things up.

When I backed out and reloaded the SD card at Play mode is where I see that error message as I stated above that also had the "no image" text. I set it down after that and posted here. 

I know nothing about the process you stated above.
Thanks anyway for the update.   You need to use STICK to reload everything on the card.

:)Hello. I have STICK re-installed on the 4 GB SD card and I have read through a bunch of information about how the various selections are used. Including the Lifehacker article.

However I still have a fundamental fuzziness about, let's say I need to shoot 1000 pictures of the Moon, or even one picture. Do I then take out that media card and start using the 64 GB card I have for the 1000 Moon shots or am I obligated to use the 4 GB card I have STICK on?

SHOULD you take pics on the STICK card? Should I load STICK on a variety of media cards to cover various shooting needs? If someone can explain that aspect it would help me very much.

Thanks,
Bill

I have STICK re-installed on the 4 GB SD card and I ..
STICK is a program that runs on your PC.  It does not get installed on an SD card.   

However, when STICK runs on your PC,  it installs the various CHDK files onto an SD card that can be used in your camera to activate CHDK.

However I still have a fundamental fuzziness about, let's say I need to shoot 1000 pictures of the Moon, or even one picture. Do I then take out that media card and start using the 64 GB card I have for the 1000 Moon shots or am I obligated to use the 4 GB card I have STICK on?

SHOULD you take pics on the STICK card? Should I load STICK on a variety of media cards to cover various shooting needs? If
Like I said,  you don't install STICK on an SD card.  However, I think what you are really asking is "Do I need to install CHDK on every SD card I want to use?"  and the answer to that questions is "Yes".   CHDK must be installed on each SD card as nothing gets permanently installed on the camera.   CHDK is loaded from the SD card to camera RAM memory when the camera starts and it "goes away" each time the power is removed (i.e. when the camera is turned off).  So when you turn on your camera,  CHDK needs to be installed on the SD card you are using if you wish to use CHDK.

Does that clarify things?

waterwingz:

Yes, your comments do help a lot. So, in essence I have 2 programming modes on the camera now-
one is from Canon and the other rides along on the SD cards I use.

I just got a 16 GB card so will get CHDK dl'd on that one also and take it from there.

Thanks,

Bill