Re: Remote shooting feature requests - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Re: Remote shooting feature requests

• 4 Replies
« on: 25 / July / 2014, 14:38:24 »
Advertisements
It's time to open a separate thread for this feature.

".... conducted ..... remote shooting experiments..."
This post is a request, for some spare time, to look at the feasibility of two NEW "Remote Shooting" features.

* Canon Cameras - "with the Control via HDMI feature" original post is
 here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11204.msg109803#msg109803

* With, "Control via HDMI" (experiments), a simple starting point would just to look at a controlling an
   External  LED, on a eBay cheapie that has been damaged, usually just by dropping the camera. 

* A VERY NEW Remote Shooting feature, is "WiFi Remote Shooting"
   An Example is the Ixus 265. Canon is doing a very poor job of promoting this remote shooting feature.
   The Best, and Cheapest, way to find Cameras that support it is just to download the Users Manual,
   and look at the Wi-Fi section and if "WiFi Remote Shooting" is supported it is listed towards the end.

* May be, if there is interest, in the above features they could be added to one of the existing
  feature tables.

* Also Canon is doing a very poor job of promoting the Wi-Fi Remote Shooting feature with there
   (#$%^&) software. (???)

* One way of addressing Wi-Fi Remote Shooting feature software problem, on portable hand held
   devices (HHPD) is just to make a request for support to the developers of existing Wi-Fi remote apps.

* Supporting Wi-Fi Remote Shooting on HHPD via ChdkPtP and USB-OTG (Hacked#), USB-Keyboards
  (Hacked#), USB-Mice's (Hacked#),  and  USB-Hub's (Hacked#).

H-H
Note All  the (Hacked#) are very simple and just add/subtract some stuff.

« Last Edit: 25 / July / 2014, 15:24:30 by Hardware_Hacker »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #1 on: 25 / July / 2014, 15:21:22 »
I've split this from the other thread since it doesn't relate the that specific bug.

Regarding the HDMI stuff, I am unclear (as usual) how much of your post is actual verified information and how much is ideas and speculation.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 25 / July / 2014, 16:01:25 »
I've split this from the other thread since it doesn't relate the that specific bug.

Regarding the HDMI stuff, I am unclear (as usual) how much of your post is actual verified information and how much is ideas and speculation.
~~~~how much is ideas and speculation.~~~~

Regarding the HDMI stuff, At the beginning of CHDK USB-HPD (Hot plug Detect) was a not very well understood and a undocumented CHDK feature.

Now it's a very well understood an  very well documented CHDK feature.

Yes, I am speculating that the HDMI-HPD control, stuff, is as far as the CHDK software is involved,
is in fact very similar in operation to USB-HPD. For example it is routed through the cameras GPIO
interface and is controlled via the ARM based control software.

I am also assuming that canon uses a similar devices to the Analoue Devices HDMI chip sets, as used
for Audio. (Ref's are in the Firmware)

I am also assuming that Canon uses FOUR I2C Buses,

* Two Internal, A low speed GP_Bus and A high speed Image_Control_Bus.
* Two External, related to the HDMI, control, stuff.
* I am attempting only to have some sort of control over the external HDMI, control, stuff.
* USB-HPD is a canon "Playback" only firmware device, that is CHDK hacked for shooting, etc.
* HDMI-HPD is a canon "Playback" only firmware device, that could be CHDK hacked for shooting, etc.
* HDMI-CEC is a canon "Playback" only firmware device, that could be CHDK hacked for Camera
   Communications, etc and may up to be 10,000 times faster than the USB-HPD method.

~~~~actual verified information~~~~

* USB-HPD, Canon "Playback", is a poorly defined interface subject to change without notice.
* HDMI-HPD, Canon "Playback", is a defined interface, but subject to change without notice.
* USB-HPD, and HDMI-HPD have some observable, software (???), delays.
* USB-HPD, and HDMI-HPD both have complicated and documented control protocols.
* USB-HPD, and HDMI-HPD, for CHDK-Remote, utilises only the very lowest of these control protocols. 

It is very clear from posts on other forums that is a rapidly expanding interest in HDMI, I2C, HDMI-CEC.

Also There is a growing supply of, simple, low cost, Hardware related Devices.
And There is a growing supply of, simple, low cost, Control and Testing Software.

H-H
« Last Edit: 25 / July / 2014, 16:56:49 by Hardware_Hacker »

« Reply #3 on: 25 / July / 2014, 17:09:12 »

<snip>

So maybe this comes down to a simple question.   Have you been able to find a gpio bit that changes state when the HDMI connection is made? 

That is how the USB remote works and if this is going to be easy to implement,  the HDMI connection probably needs to work the same way.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 30 / July / 2014, 00:51:18 »
Regarding the HDMI stuff, ....
<snip>
@ W-W
"...So maybe this comes down to a simple question.   Have you been able to find a gpio bit that changes state when the HDMI connection is made? ..."

@ H-H ..... NO,    not yet but I do have some ebay HDMI cheepies reserved for HDMI-Stuff experiments.

@ W-W
"...That is how the USB remote works and if this is going to be easy to implement,  the HDMI connection probably needs to work the same way....

@ H-H     [In] Strings Ixus265-100a.txt

~~~~HDMI-HPD & +5v~~~~
[HDMI Hot Plug Detection (????)
0032AE08   ChangePowerState
0000B3D8   LoadTest.c [HDMI +5v at 55ma (????)]
0080F361   ConnectHDMI
0080F36D   DisconnectHDMI
00C0E3E0   HDMI

for more,    see the attached files.

HDMI-HPD Question;-

There was, somewhere, a script that cycled through all known addresses for AF_Led's.

Since the HDMI +5 volts, output, could be connected to an external LED via a current limiting resistor.
could the script be, somehow, adapted for HDMI-OUT detection.

The attached HDMI_Block diagram looks complex but it just relates to the two HDMI control pins of
interest.

There is NO evidence that canon actually uses the TI IC, but it is designed for use in cameras
and complies with the HDMI specifications so its a good starting point ONLY.

H-H
« Last Edit: 30 / July / 2014, 01:13:25 by Hardware_Hacker »