In Car Power/Alternative Power Sources (for Ixus 220HS/ELPH 300) (Small Guide) - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

In Car Power/Alternative Power Sources (for Ixus 220HS/ELPH 300) (Small Guide)

• 3 Replies
Advertisements
Hi,

So I searched a while back for info on being able to power my Canon Ixus 220HS by mains, or without the normal battery. Mainly for Time Lapse photography since the regular batteries don't last as long as I wanted them to.

I ended up buying an AC Adapter (ACK-DC10) with the DR-10 coupler.

This summer I'm going on a European road trip and wanted to do an in-car time lapse and looked for a way to power the camera in the car and this is what I've ended up doing......

.....Things you'll need to do it the way I have (you can obviously modify it appropriately to suit whatever you have lying about).....

1. AC Adapter with DR-10 coupler (I got mine off ebay for £6.20 - DC-10 mains adapter)
2a. DC-DC in car multi voltage adapter that can do 4.5V or 5V at at least 1.5A. (about £8 off ebay)
......with a DC to USB cable (about £1.5 off ebay)
2b. In car USB charger - iPad style that can do 5V at 2A is probably needed. (about £1.50 off ebay)
3. Some cable and some phono plugs
4. A USB cable.

This is the setup

I ended up snipping the cable for the AC adapter and putting some phono connectors on the ends that I had lying about so I could go between mains and the alternative supply whenever I wanted.

I've tested things and the camera works at both 4.5V (multi-adapter) and 5V (USB adapter) - even with the flash.

I read a few things where people said it might work at 5V but didn't see much evidence of it actually working. So I can fairly safely say it does.

It could be a risk since the mains supply outputs 4.3V so for my trip I will probably use the 4.5V power supply.

I've not tested this extensively but I did take a number of photos to check it worked...with and without flash.

Any questions just ask!

Offline igb

how to buy and make adapter this? how to make timelapse on this camera?

Offline c_joerg

I read a few things where people said it might work at 5V but didn't see much evidence of it actually working. So I can fairly safely say it does.

But how long? I could happens, that the temperature goes to high over time…
Yes we know, that it works, but I would scared to you use 5V on my S110, SX230 and IXUS160. When I using 5V, I use also a diode serial to reduce the voltage. 
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline axman

Sounds like a good plan for power sources.  I found with testing my ixus160, a voltage tolerance window.
V > 4.7, I experience occasional problem with switching power On/Off.
V > 4.3, occasional problem with chdkptp connect.
(V < 4.3) && (V > 4.1) = sweet spot, no problems.
V < 4.1, more frequent problem with chdkptp file I/O.
Maybe voltage window does not matter so much to you, if using time lapse scripts on the camera.
Good luck on the road trip.