Multi Camera Long Term Time Lapse - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Multi Camera Long Term Time Lapse

• 8 Replies

Offline JvdP

Multi Camera Long Term Time Lapse
« on: 27 / August / 2013, 10:16:33 »
Advertisements
I bought 3 Canon Ixus 240HS. I know there is no official release yet, but I have seen people in the dedicated thread with successful ports. I will use all three camera's to make a time lapse (inside) from several angles, for several weeks.

The challenges:

• Powering the camera's> Will try make external power source
  • Getting the photos off the camera's while they are not easily accessible > Use Wifi? USB cable?
  • Stop time lapse at night time > Scripting? Motion detection?
  • No internet available at location, but could set up an access point/laptop.

What do you guys think about this? Anyone experience with long term time lapses? What about retrieving the photos remotely?

Re: Multi Camera Long Term Time Lapse
« Reply #1 on: 27 / August / 2013, 12:09:29 »
You will definitely need external power - either an A/C power pack or a large battery and DC-DC converter.

This script might be of interest :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Intervalometer
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline JvdP

« Reply #2 on: 27 / August / 2013, 12:11:39 »
Thanks for the script tip! I will check it out.

What about image retrieval? This has been the most challenging, actually. Especially since some camera's will be difficult to reach.

« Reply #3 on: 27 / August / 2013, 12:15:07 »
Thanks for the script tip! I will check it out.

What about image retrieval? This has been the most challenging, actually. Especially since some camera's will be difficult to reach.
If you can use a long USB cable that would be easiest.   

Otherwise, search this forum for eye-fi cards.  Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a definitive posting that guarantees success.  YMMV.

Offline JvdP

« Reply #4 on: 27 / August / 2013, 12:20:37 »
I've thought of a USB cable, but since I'm having multiple camera's I would also need multiple computers. That makes everything rather expensive.

The Eye-Fi cards I wasn't sure whether they would work together with CHDK. It would be nice if CHDK could use the  WiFi interface of the various P&S camera's Canon has... Also, the Eye-Fi has a known bug with the 240HS where the camera shuts off the Eye-Fi during exposure, breaking the WiFi connection.

« Reply #5 on: 27 / August / 2013, 12:25:42 »
I've thought of a USB cable, but since I'm having multiple camera's I would also need multiple computers. That makes everything rather expensive.
Are they close enough together to use a USB hub?

Offline JvdP

« Reply #6 on: 27 / August / 2013, 12:27:08 »
I could use USB extension cables, but it is sub optimal. Can CHDK with PTP retrieve photos from several camera's at once?

« Reply #7 on: 27 / August / 2013, 12:34:14 »
I could use USB extension cables, but it is sub optimal. Can CHDK with PTP retrieve photos from several camera's at once?
Technically not "at once".  But you can use chdkptp to connect sequentially.

Offline JvdP

« Reply #8 on: 28 / August / 2013, 08:43:43 »
I'm thinking perhaps I could have a USB cable coming from each camera and then occasionally connect a PC to transfer pictures taken. This avoids having to have a dedicated PC and super long USB cables.

WiFi would still be the best option, but for that I opened a seperate topic since I think it is not just specific to me. Being able to use the WiFi functionality can be a very useful feature in CHDK in general! See here.