another autoload script option? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

another autoload script option?

• 4 Replies
another autoload script option?
« on: 15 / February / 2009, 15:57:57 »
Advertisements
The current options are On, Off, Once.

I suggest adding yet another option that can a) start a script from a usb pulse while, and this is important, b) ignoring any 'set_auto_start 0' statements in the script.

It would allow an external controller to turn the camera on, take pictures, and then shut down to conserve the batteries. A typical application would be for a game camera that's left in the field for extended periods.

Doable?

Offline Jucifer

• [A710IS]
Re: another autoload script option?
« Reply #1 on: 15 / February / 2009, 16:29:58 »
Not all cams wake on remote.

In which mode should the remote start a script? ALT or normal? Either should be doable, I guess. For the latter, one could modify the simple remote code. Also ignoring set_autostart should be doable.

But why not just press the remote once to turn the camera on (if supported) and run a script (if set properly), which shuts down the cam when done. Lather, rinse, repeat.

« Reply #2 on: 15 / February / 2009, 16:44:52 »
It would allow an external controller to turn the camera on, take pictures, and then shut down to conserve the batteries.
Doable?

Have at look at 'F' and 'G' at the top of this page http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/tlapse2.htm

You manually start the script but it will pause until it receives the USB signal.

You can also blank the screen.

On completion, or when it receives another USB pulse,  it shuts down.
« Last Edit: 15 / February / 2009, 16:49:29 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #3 on: 15 / February / 2009, 21:55:25 »
In reply to Jucifer
But why not just press the remote once to turn the camera on (if supported) and run a script (if set properly), which shuts down the cam when done. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Good advice that I have followed to the letter.

The early versions of my dev script always required a 'set_auto_start 0' to force the camera to shut down. Without it, it appeared to shut down only to stop and go through the startup routine again.  But of course 'set_auto_start 0' prevented the script from autoloading on the next startup. That's why I thought that CHDK required a new option to modify that behaviour.

I got the test script to finally work properly bt adding more and longer 'sleeps'. It is now capable of reliable wake-ups and shut-downs from button pushes on a micro controller board. Now to fine tune the sleeps and add the other functions I need.

In summary All Is Well and my request for another autoload script option should be tossed into the trash bin where it belongs.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Jucifer

• [A710IS]
« Reply #4 on: 16 / February / 2009, 08:28:17 »
When/if the shortcut system of CHDK is revamped, I think starting scripts on remote could/should be added as an option.