Are these software upgrades possible? - page 14 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Are these software upgrades possible?

• 187 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Are these software upgrades possible?
« Reply #130 on: 26 / May / 2011, 23:38:20 »
Advertisements
I just refer to the log. Whatever command returned the error is what I go with. In this case the reboot failed.
That's a bad assumption. It's quite likely the error in the reboot command was due to some previous failure (for example, the camera could already be crashed). Of course, I can't tell since you didn't post the error.

If the camera clock and PC clock are reasonably close (or the offset between them is known) the timestamps in the ROMLOG and chdkptp log could shed some light on this.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #131 on: 27 / May / 2011, 12:04:23 »
Here it is again. Same thing happened this morning:
Code: [Select]
08:08:07 lua click "set"
08:08:08 lua click "right"
08:08:10 lua click "set"
08:08:11 reboot
08:08:24 reboot failed
08:08:24 lua switch_mode_usb(1)
08:08:24 not connected
08:08:24 .press "zoom_in"; sleep(1400); release "zoom_in"
08:08:24 not connected

Offline reyalp

« Reply #132 on: 27 / May / 2011, 13:37:58 »
Same crash, no correlation between the romlog time and camera time, so it's impossible to say when it happened.

If you get the camera time somewhere in the script, that would allow you to correlate the two, and figure out when the crash actually happened. E.g.
=return os.date("%H:%M:%S")

As a wild guess, I would think you are switching to play mode, or possibly something else unexpected by the camera while some part of the shooting process is not fully complete.

Once again, this is your project. If you want to resolve these problems, you are going to have to make an effort to debug it. There's no point in posting identical ROMLOGs over and over. I look at them to see if I can find any obvious clues, but if there isn't, then you are going to have to come up with some additional diagnostics. Right now, the obvious clue is that it is somehow related to shooting.

Given that in the past you've simply ignored a lot of the advice you were given (including stuff that was *directly* causing your problems) I'm not inclined to waste my time trying to get you to do basic troubleshooting.

edit:
In fact, the romlog you posted is from the same crash as the previous one you posted. Not just the same part of the code, they are 100% identical including the time, so either you posted the wrong file, or there has been no new crash recorded by the camera.
« Last Edit: 27 / May / 2011, 13:41:21 by reyalp »

« Reply #133 on: 27 / May / 2011, 21:09:42 »
You are right. There is one thing that doesn't make sense though. I don't understand why the shoot script could cause a crash at a rate of ~1% of the time it is used. Especially when the message "A script is already running" would imply that chdk is preventing the new command from interfering with the previous command. To add to that, if the shoot command was causing the crash, wouldn't it crash right after the command instead of several successful commands later on a completely different command as shown by the previous 2 log.txt excerpts?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #134 on: 27 / May / 2011, 21:47:38 »
You are right. There is one thing that doesn't make sense though. I don't understand why the shoot script could cause a crash at a rate of ~1% of the time it is used. Especially when the message "A script is already running" would imply that chdk is preventing the new command from interfering with the previous command.
The "script is already running" message is generated by chdkptp. It uses the ScriptStatus command in the CHDK PTP protocol to see if a script is running. If you get that message, the script itself was never sent to the camera, so you aren't getting the same memory corruption bug you had before.

Finding out *why* the previous script was still running would certainly be a worthwhile thing to try.

Some possibilities:
1) the timing on your side is wrong,
2) something causing the script take more time than you expect.
3) something is hanging or otherwise going wrong in the script process

Of course it is possible that the 'script already running' is simply #1, and is not actually connected to the other problems you are having.
To add to that, if the shoot command was causing the crash, wouldn't it crash right after the command instead of several successful commands later on a completely different command as shown by the previous 2 log.txt excerpts?
Memory corruption does not necessarily cause an immediate crash. As you saw before, it would sometimes cause spurious syntax errors and other oddities before the crash.

« Reply #135 on: 28 / May / 2011, 11:34:53 »
This time it failed on the shoot command:
8:50:57 .press "shoot_half"; sleep(10); press "shoot_full"; sleep(3000); release "shoot_full"; sleep(10); release "shoot_half"
08:50:57 a script is already running
08:50:58 .press "shoot_half"; sleep(10); press "shoot_full"; sleep(3000); release "shoot_full"; sleep(10); release "shoot_half"
08:50:58 a script is already running
08:51:00 .press "shoot_half"; sleep(10); press "shoot_full"; sleep(3000); release "shoot_full"; sleep(10); release "shoot_half"
08:51:05 .press "shoot_half"; sleep(10); press "shoot_full"; sleep(3000); release "shoot_full"; sleep(10); release "shoot_half"
08:51:05 failed
08:51:07 .press "shoot_half"; sleep(10); press "shoot_full"; sleep(3000); release "shoot_full"; sleep(10); release "shoot_half"
08:51:07 not connected
And the ROMLOG is new. (The camera's clock is an hour off.) I'm obviously sending the shoot commands faster then they can be executed. I do this to get as many pics as possible and rely on chdkptp to make sure there isn't an issue. Do you think maybe 500ms delay at the end of the command will allow enough time for picture post-processing (assuming image post processing interruption is the cause)?

« Reply #136 on: 28 / May / 2011, 15:14:22 »
I went ahead and changed the shoot sequence so that there was a 1 second delay afterwards. Time will tell if that made any difference.

EDIT: well that didn't work. It crashed twice in a row before it ever had a chance to complete one cycle.
« Last Edit: 28 / May / 2011, 17:56:12 by John1234 »

« Reply #137 on: 28 / May / 2011, 21:11:36 »
what does Unexpected return code 0x2ff mean? I was getting that error but then I unplugged the power to the camera, let it sit, plugged it back in and reset everything. Now it is fine so far.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #138 on: 28 / May / 2011, 22:17:09 »
what does Unexpected return code 0x2ff mean? I was getting that error but then I unplugged the power to the camera, let it sit, plugged it back in and reset everything. Now it is fine so far.
Generally it means the connection to the camera was lost.

« Reply #139 on: 30 / May / 2011, 00:04:15 »
chdkptp.exe, the actual application crashed. (it has done it before but I have more info this time.)

The download command had just been sent and one .MOV file was listed as being downloaded the time of the crash. I don't know how to read assembly. Maybe you do:

Unhandled exception at 0x00419abd in chdkptp.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x8a0aa1f6.

00419AAD  lea         esi,[esi]
00419AB0  shr         edi,17h
00419AB3  mov         edx,dword ptr [ebp-58h]
00419AB6  mov         eax,dword ptr [edx+edi*4+14h]
00419ABA  mov         edi,dword ptr [eax+8]
00419ABD  mov         eax,dword ptr [edi]   <--------
00419ABF  mov         edx,dword ptr [edi+4]
00419AC2  mov         dword ptr [esi],eax
00419AC4  mov         dword ptr [esi+4],edx
00419AC7  mov         eax,dword ptr [edi+8]

also, you can cause it to crash by hitting d or dis when it is already disconnected.