Downloading DNG by USB connection, possible? - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Downloading DNG by USB connection, possible?

• 3 Replies
Downloading DNG by USB connection, possible?
« on: 18 / January / 2016, 14:19:36 »
Advertisements
Powershot SX230HS,  CHDK ver 1.4.1 Rev 4343

Is there an easy way to download my DNG images to my laptop (Windows 10) ?
I saw mention of a setting to enable this but I dont appear to have it in my build.
I am just hoping there is a simple setting to make this work, anything too complex will probably be above my level of understanding  :)

Offline reyalp

Re: Downloading DNG by USB connection, possible?
« Reply #1 on: 18 / January / 2016, 15:57:41 »
Powershot SX230HS,  CHDK ver 1.4.1 Rev 4343

Is there an easy way to download my DNG images to my laptop (Windows 10) ?
I saw mention of a setting to enable this but I dont appear to have it in my build.
I am just hoping there is a simple setting to make this work, anything too complex will probably be above my level of understanding  :)
The old "DNG visible over USB" option is unfortunately only possible on very old cameras.

However, DNG files may be visible if you use the correct combination of RAW prefix and RAW extension, and do NOT select  "'DNG' file extension"

The working combination may depend on the camera. I'd suggest trying CRW_ .CR2. I would avoid IMG_, because the canon firmware gets confused when you have multiple files with the same prefix (E.g. IMG_xxxx.JPG and IMG_xxxx.CR2)

If you do this, your files will have a .CR2 extension when you download them, even though they are not the Canon CR2 format. You may want to rename them to help windows programs recognize them correctly.

Also, even if you have the right combination of prefix/extension, they probably won't be visible unless you reboot the camera between shooting and connecting USB.

Alternatively, you can download any files from the camera using the CHDK PTP Extension http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension but this is more complicated to set up, and disables standard Windows USB access to the camera.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 19 / January / 2016, 03:21:36 »
Thanks, will try that.

Offline hwntw

« Reply #3 on: 19 / September / 2017, 11:30:18 »
I have tried this upload of DNG files to my smart phone, er, whilst in the field, using OTG, with mixed results. Broadly, DNG files are not visible to my (Android, LG G3) phone on all the cameras I tried- S100, Ixus 300 HS and SD 900, but uploading of native Canon RAW (.CR2) does work when importing via Lightroom Mobile.
I should say that JPG files were visible on all three cameras and may be imported using a variety of apps over OTG. Once I have the correct connectors I shall repeat the tests using my iPhone
Ixus 300HS S100

Windows 10