Live View/FPV - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Live View/FPV

• 4 Replies
Live View/FPV
« on: 05 / July / 2021, 13:06:41 »
Advertisements
I am stuck with this problem. I connect my Powershot SX620 to the micro HDMI port and only get a live view of the settings screen. When I switch to the live view then I lose the signal.  I have read that others are able to make this function work nut I have only had success on my Sony camera. What am I missing?

Offline reyalp

Re: Live View/FPV
« Reply #1 on: 05 / July / 2021, 14:44:52 »
I am stuck with this problem. I connect my Powershot SX620 to the micro HDMI port and only get a live view of the settings screen. When I switch to the live view then I lose the signal.  I have read that others are able to make this function work nut I have only had success on my Sony camera. What am I missing?
Unfortunately, only a few fairly recent high end powershots (such as g5x) and the EOS M cams support HDMI out while shooting. Cameras like SX620 only support HDMI out in playback mode, for viewing images and videos already taken.

Some of the lower end cameras support output with a regular analog TV signal, but SX620 appears to not have this capability. On most cameras which support this, TV out accessed using a special adapter in the mini USB connector (canon AVC-DC400), and this functionality is not present on camera that have micro USB.

Edit:
One way you could get live view out of SX620 is using the PTP Extension. However, this requires the camera be connected to a USB host like a PC or raspberry pi.
« Last Edit: 05 / July / 2021, 14:46:54 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 05 / July / 2021, 16:00:49 »
Reyalp- Thank you for the reply. Everything you said I found to be true. All the info was old so I was hoping for some new updates. It is pretty dumb that canon did that. This camera has 2 ports that seem to do the same thing. Only one is faster. (if I read everything correctly)

A raspberry pi might work but I think I am better off finding a camera that works with less trouble. I looked at the g5x but it's too big. This will go on a drone to be used for inspections. The optical zoom is a must, and compact size is a must.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 05 / July / 2021, 16:54:51 »
This camera has 2 ports that seem to do the same thing. Only one is faster. (if I read everything correctly)
Well, HDMI is video and USB is data, but neither will easily do what you want.
A raspberry pi might work but I think I am better off finding a camera that works with less trouble.
Yes, that is probably the better approach. The PTP based approach would increase power demand, weight and complexity, and the live view is pretty low quality.

If you're looking for CHDK supported cameras and standard def (NTSC/PAL) video is sufficient for your FPV needs, you can check the manual (available from Canon's support site) to verify that it supports TV out in rec mode. If it does, it will be mentioned in the section on TV, like "When the camera and TV are connected, you can also shoot while previewing on shots on the larger screen of the TV" (the SX610 is an example)

If it doesn't support TV out in rec, that section of the manual will only describe playback and not mention shooting. CHDK can enable standard def TV out in rec for some cameras that don't support it natively, but it's only implement on a few cameras, and it might or might not be possible on others.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 05 / July / 2021, 20:04:14 »
I tried the PTP script yesterday and found out that was not my solution. At least not I understand CHDK a little more. 

This new information about the TV out will be very helpful moving forward. So now I will get another camera and sell this one. That is WAY better than trying to squeeze a brick into a round hole.

Thanks for saving me many more days of anguish.  :D :D