Ultimate Intervalometer - a script for shooting over a long duration - v4.9 - page 56 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Ultimate Intervalometer - a script for shooting over a long duration - v4.9

• 651 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Ultimate Intervalometer - a script for shooting over a long duration - v4.8
« Reply #550 on: 23 / January / 2019, 22:16:33 »
Advertisements
What could be the reason why Canon limits time and has no option for ever?
I'd guess it's just because they don't expect users to have a need for longer options.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #551 on: 31 / January / 2019, 03:54:43 »
In the setting you can set a reboot day.
I understand that not all camera's support that.

On my S95 I use the firmware update method.
When testing the reboot on my s95 it turns itself off, but won't come back on until you touch the on/off button....or was that the shoot button...suddenly i'm unsure, have to retest to be sure ;)
After that the script starts itself up again and performs as expected, so it was not really powered down.
It looks like it is almost working although I thought that the card had to be in the locked position.

I was wondering if  it would be possible to simulate that on/off button press. Or would that interfere with other models that it's working on now?

« Last Edit: 31 / January / 2019, 04:48:41 by Mlapse »
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

« Reply #552 on: 31 / January / 2019, 07:10:59 »
I understand that not all camera's support that.
It's been quite a while since I looked at that script but I don't recall any restriction about it not working with some cameras. Where did you see that?

On my S95 I use the firmware update method.
When testing the reboot on my s95 it turns itself off, but won't come back on until you touch the on/off button....or was that the shoot button...suddenly i'm unsure, have to retest to be sure ;)
I'm pretty sure that the script was never intended to work on cameras that load CHDK via the firmware update method.

After that the script starts itself up again and performs as expected, so it was not really powered down.

Correct. A reset reloads all the software and starts from scratch. It was never intended to actually power cycle the camera. There is no way to do that in software without an electrically modified camera.

It looks like it is almost working although I thought that the card had to be in the locked position.
Like I said, I believe that it does.

I was wondering if  it would be possible to simulate that on/off button press. Or would that interfere with other models that it's working on now?
Nothing to do with other models. There is simply no way to get a Canon camera to turn back on using just software once it has been turned off.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #553 on: 31 / January / 2019, 09:56:33 »
It's been quite a while since I looked at that script but I don't recall any restriction about it not working with some cameras. Where did you see that?

i have not been able to get it working on my a480. a490 and s95 (firmware and card lock boot both failed)

I'm pretty sure that the script was never intended to work on cameras that load CHDK via the firmware update method.
but it does, because the camera is not really powered down, so it does not have to boot from scratch, just reload.

Correct. A reset reloads all the software and starts from scratch. It was never intended to actually power cycle the camera. There is no way to do that in software without an electrically modified camera.

Like I said, I believe that it does.

ah, well in that case i have not been able to replicate that on my cams
I was wondering if  it would be possible to simulate that on/off button press.
« Last Edit: 31 / January / 2019, 10:03:23 by Mlapse »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #554 on: 31 / January / 2019, 11:54:36 »
There is simply no way to get a Canon camera to turn back on using just software once it has been turned off.
For what it's worth, there are exceptions.
The EOS M3 and M10 (and M5, M6) are able to switch on by themselves. Their firmware includes a function that allows scheduling a camera start.
They have a low power secondary CPU (SubCPU) that is able to control power to the DIGIC processor.
I made a Lua function that allows utilizing this feature from scripts and published it here. The timing accuracy is not great - my theory is that the subcpu runs on a less accurate RC oscillator when the camera is "off". The linked post has some details about the inaccuracy of a longer term delay (I'd guess the accuracy depends on camera and perhaps temperature).

Oh, reboot() is likely dysfunctional on D6 cameras.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #555 on: 31 / January / 2019, 12:07:17 »
Thanks, i'll look into the m10 and that post later.
first i want to get it going on the s95 if possible.
is there a test script for the reboot function, so i can reboot after a minute or so?
the one day delay on UI makes it a bit slow to test.
« Last Edit: 31 / January / 2019, 12:10:57 by Mlapse »

« Reply #556 on: 31 / January / 2019, 17:58:39 »

is there a test script for the reboot function, so i can reboot after a minute or so?
the one day delay on UI makes it a bit slow to test.
Commenting on my mobile so can't check the code but I seem to recall the script has a test mode enabled from user parameters that simulates a very fast clock time.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #557 on: 01 / February / 2019, 02:50:36 »
Thanks, you are right. it does not work with firmware update method.
it resets it's lens and reboots without loading chdk.

when a reboot has happened. although the flag of autostart is off it will still autostart the script when you then use the firmware update method...that's what i noticed.

and the debug setting is indeed a lot quicker.

« Reply #558 on: 01 / February / 2019, 22:46:33 »
when a reboot has happened. although the flag of autostart is off it will still autostart the script when you then use the firmware update method...that's what i noticed.
The script sets the "autostart" flag just before it reboots the camera.  It resets it right after the reboot.  So for a brief period the flag is set but you would not see that unless you got lucky when you halted the script.

and the debug setting is indeed a lot quicker.
You can probably guess why I added that option  8)
« Last Edit: 02 / February / 2019, 05:45:42 by waterwingz »

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #559 on: 13 / February / 2019, 04:04:32 »
my camera has a few presets in zoom (35,50,85,105, actually that is 7,11,15,22mm)
Those presets are always the same, while using the zoom% in UI i had slight differences in actual zoom.
I tried 1% increments to see if i could capture the presets perfectly, but that did not work out.
then i was thinking about using get_zoom() to figure out what the exact figures were of the presets in the hopes it would then give stable results for my cam when used in UI, but haven't worked that out either.

but i came across something else.
when i use the preset zoom, shut down and autoboot CHDK. the camera will start up again and move to the same zoom preset it was when shut down.
that might not be ideal, because i have to set the zoom manually at startup, but that is a small price to get a fixed zoom after restarts.
however when i let UI restart the camera it seems to go just a little bit too quickly and thus the zoom is not set before the script starts.

would it be possible (and work) if the UI script was delayed in startup after a reboot?
and naturally, if it is, how would i create that delayed startup for UI (so probably in CHDK: for any script loaded)
« Last Edit: 13 / February / 2019, 06:25:51 by Mlapse »