In camera stitching or atleast the panorama assist for SX110 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

In camera stitching or atleast the panorama assist for SX110

• 3 Replies
In camera stitching or atleast the panorama assist for SX110
« on: 18 / September / 2009, 14:53:25 »
Advertisements
I currently own a Canon Sx 110.. Although this is a gr8 camera by most means.. this model lacks a suitable in-camera stitching program or even a stitch assistant for panoramas to take needed shots..
i am sure the bright minds here have the resources to make these features available which exist even on a w800i Sony erricson camera phone (2 mp - i checkd the features yesterday n was shocked)
the edge overlay technique seems to difficult and a better idea would be to have a tranclucent part of the previous image on the left/right /up/down side of the camera when taking panoramic shots...

can we please have these features...
would make the chdk complete in so many aspects then....

Peace
:)

Offline reyalp

Re: In camera stitching or atleast the panorama assist for SX110
« Reply #1 on: 18 / September / 2009, 19:09:46 »
Doing actual stitching well is quite CPU intensive, so should be done on your PC.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 18 / September / 2009, 19:11:37 »
I don't think in-camera stitching would be so great.  I have recently been trying a few different ones lately (eg Canon PhotoStitch, autostitch, Serif, AutoPano).  The ones that give the best results (autostitch and AutoPano) take a lot of processing as it quite often isn't as simple as merging the pics together at the overlap seam.  They also help correct perspective distortions and other effects.

On the other hand, adding a simple panorama assist (at least for cameras that don't do it natively) seems plausible and quite possibly doable (coming from a non-programmer).
As a side note to this, I had bought my parents a Canon A2000 for their trip to Alaska, but was disappointed it didn't have panorama assist which would've been nice for them if they could figure out how to work it (a CHDK version wouldn't have helped them though as they are very technically inept at any sort of technology)

« Reply #3 on: 19 / September / 2009, 01:51:26 »
true.. even i use canon Autostitch and Ptgui..
i don't know much cause i don't have any idea abt chdk programming..
but for some reason the stitch program on the w800i did it so beautifully and easily 4 out 5 times tht it looked too cool.. i'm sure the digic 3 processor is much much more superior than the one in the mobile..
and plus wouldn't hurt to keep it as a sort of standby.. if ever we need it..
panorama of 3 pics max wud be adequately processed i think..
wht say ..?