CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD - page 32 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum  

CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD

• 704 Replies
Re: CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD
« Reply #310 on: 18 / December / 2012, 12:13:53 »
Advertisements
I do not believe you, remove everything   :xmas

You could sell programmed microcontrollers and any other bits required.

Use a proxy seller to maintain privacy.
« Last Edit: 18 / December / 2012, 12:24:54 by Microfunguy »

Offline SticK

« Reply #311 on: 18 / December / 2012, 13:24:40 »
I do not believe you, remove everything   :xmas
The proverbial skeptic ... there is always one in the audience.  Here's a nice story ... Two weeks ago when I gave the talk it was actually not at a space conference that I am more used to, but rather, a medical conference (a large gathering, mostly pathologists), where I demonstrated the applications of my instrumentation in cancer research for the high-speed detection of malignant cells.  My talk was the last one, but during the day I noticed one fella who would challenge the speakers with curve-ball questions.  When I finished, I got mine too.  But mine was a bit more special because it was less science and more what I felt between the lines as him being threatened by technological advances and the potential of his job being replaced: "I can't see a use for this", something seemed to me to as automated checkout machines replacing cashiers.  I knew straightaway what to say to pacify and appease him, and after I was done, I got a nice smile and a very gracious, "Ok, we'll see what you have for us next year."  For whatever reason, the bottom line is folks like you and him keep us honest.

So for you here is my answer/comment ...  The MECHA connector from the ORIGINAL MECHA (still mounted on the frame) is disconnected and has been since the beginning.  The CCD that is in that MECHA, has always remained connected, and still is.  So before I can remove the ORIGINAL MECHA from the camera frame, the first issue is how to handle the CCD upon *its* removal.  Since a 1-micron dust particle can easily cast a show on a pixel, a small completely contamination-free enclosure has to be thought-out and fashioned, and then the CCD can get transferred immediately upon removal in a zero-dust environment (Class-A). 

The SACRIFICIAL MECHA (the one sticking up on top), still has its MECHA connector in place, with the hair-thin breakout wires soldered as we did a month ago.  The reason is that during development, the mainboard needed electrical access to *both* the SACRIFICIAL MECHA or the MCU, in alternation.  So when you disconnect the Canon components, you have to plug in the MCU, and vice-versa.  Thus during solution development, the code for each component was handled one-at-a-time, until all Canon components ended up disconnected leaving the mainboard only connected to the MCU // the present state.  That means at present the MCU is borrowing the MECHA's connector to communicate with the mainboard, but all MECHA components are disconnected.  To have both connected at the same time would corrupt signals and nothing would work.  So yes it may appear from the setup illusion in photo that I'm jiving!

Next, is to cut SACRIFICIAL MECHA ribbon cable near its connector, leaving only the connector, and make sure that no traces short from one side to the other.  Tricky job.  Following that, the design I am thinking of will scavenge the IS ribbon cable (~4 cm) and its female connector to bring signalling from the MECHA connector to the MCU.

The biggest challenge is not to make a mistake in the wiring (MECHA connector -> ribbon cable -> female conmector -> MCU (and putting SMT level-shift resistors on the bottomside).  If I make a mistake, and in the worst case blow the mainboard, it does not invalidate the solution from the last three months of work.  I have a backup camera for that, just in case.

So the next time you see photos and an improved movie, you will see a match-box-size (literally) camera, tethered to the USB 2.0 machine, CCD hanging off on the side, and a movie of everything working together as a system, including CHDKPTP live on the computer screen.

In addition, I have to attend to electron microscopy prep this week, that I have neglected along the way.  So "removing" is not a simple matter.  Does that help mitigate your disbelief to some degree for now?

« Reply #312 on: 18 / December / 2012, 13:32:51 »
Does that help mitigate your disbelief to some degree for now?

That is a long answer for a post with a smiley   :)  :D  :xmas

Offline SticK

« Reply #313 on: 18 / December / 2012, 13:49:34 »
That is a long answer for a post with a smiley   :)  :D  :xmas
Women who feel guys don't get emotional should read this thread!  Of course ... you gave me the chance to point out that there is surgical work left to do ... but it is only surgery.  The other thing I should add is putting the MCU in standby (quiet down the chip) while in PLAY or REC mode.  I am waiting for SparkFun tech support to provide a solution to re-enable the USB port after MCU sleep so I can debug the code.

« Reply #314 on: 18 / December / 2012, 13:54:33 »
I must remind myself that the British sense of humour is often taken literally by Americans.

Incidentally, while the sensor is exposed and vulnerable simply paint the cover glass with this polymer :-

http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/first-contact-polymer-optics-cleaner---opticlean-1-p.asp

I have used it for years for cleaning optics.
« Last Edit: 18 / December / 2012, 15:37:03 by Microfunguy »

Offline SticK

« Reply #315 on: 18 / December / 2012, 16:10:21 »
Incidentally, while the sensor is exposed and vulnerable simply paint the cover glass with this polymer :-
Sure very interesting ...  One thing to be mindful of is that as you peel a polymer, there is a charge that builds up on the glass surface which could be enough to attract micron-sized particles.  So it still has to be done in a clean-air environment.

On a CCD glass for example, how would you start the peeling?  Do you coat so some droops over the edge, pick it up with tweezers etc?  Does it come off in one piece, fragments ??  Any tips?

« Reply #316 on: 18 / December / 2012, 16:22:35 »
One thing to be mindful of is that as you peel a polymer, there is a charge that builds up on the glass surface which could be enough to attract micron-sized particles.

I have a 'gun' (Zerostat) that you can zap it with, though I have never used it.

Does it come off in one piece, fragments ??  Any tips?

Run the shower in the bathroom.
Some time later, in the bathroom, setup a small table and chair.
Place the camera on the table together with Opticlean, parcel tape, scissors and tweezers.
Sit down and cover yourself and the table with a giant polythene bag.
Expose the sensor, flood with polymer being careful NOT to let it flow over the sides of the coverglass.
After five minutes, cut a strip of parcel tape and press onto coverglass with excess tape facing away from you.
Burnish the tape firmly using a plastic pen or similar.
Double-back the tape onto itself and pull towards you.

Offline SticK

« Reply #317 on: 18 / December / 2012, 16:42:26 »
Hmmm ... shower ...  with hot water?  Ingenious!

« Reply #318 on: 18 / December / 2012, 17:18:14 »
If the bathroom light also turns on an extractor fan you need to work during daylight and/or provide some means of low-voltage (12V) illumination.

Offline ahull

« Reply #319 on: 19 / December / 2012, 06:28:51 »
Not sure if this is of any interest...

Years ago when such things were repairable, I made a "clean box" roughly class 100,  in our workshop for fixing hard disks, a quick google, and I found a very similar set up with good documentation.

http://www.iheartrobotics.com/2010/02/this-new-lab-diy-cleanroom.html

As I recall, the filters were the most important and expensive item, and the "glass" front I used was a bit of recycled plexiglas bus shelter which some local vandals had thoughtfully "dismantled" for us with a stolen car..
(It was a bit of a rough neighbourhood  ::) ).
« Last Edit: 19 / December / 2012, 06:52:39 by ahull »